Taking cars to uni? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
How many people are taking thier car to uni?

I am gonna have to sell my beloved car to pay to be able to live.
Grotbag
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're a student - you're supposed to get the flippin' bus!
Bumblebee3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Grotbag)
You're a student - you're supposed to get the flippin' bus!
Or bike! I had a car (couldn't drive to save my life) but i gratefully got rid of the junk because my uni doesn't allow any students to keep cars.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At the mo I have nowhere to live so if I have to go private which would suck majorly for the first year, I'd check out life without my car for the first time and if I really struggle to get anywhere/do anything I'd consider taking my car. My little bro will be a bit peeved though cause he's having it when I go. I wanna take my bike but my mum seems to think I'll get squished by a car seeing as I never took my cycling proficiency test etc...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
Or bike! I had a car (couldn't drive to save my life) but i gratefully got rid of the junk because my uni doesn't allow any students to keep cars.
Haz, where does it say that? I've heard that said but I don't think that they really care. Can you get punished for having a car?
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Haz, where does it say that? I've heard that said but I don't think that they really care. Can you get punished for having a car?
I don't know whether you can get punished - it said in a letter from my college that no student is permitted to keep a car without permission from the college and only if there are special circumstances. I guess if you had one anyway they wouldn't know about it... Ben is that u by the way?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
I don't know whether you can get punished - it said in a letter from my college that no student is permitted to keep a car without permission from the college and only if there are special circumstances. I guess if you had one anyway they wouldn't know about it... Ben is that u by the way?
no i am not Ben,

can i ask about one more thing, why do you have to boast about you going to CAMBRIDGE - WOW WOW INTELLIGENT PERSON we got the POINT!
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no i am not Ben,

can i ask about one more thing, why do you have to boast about you going to CAMBRIDGE - WOW WOW INTELLIGENT PERSON we got the POINT!
I have never intended to boast and I apologise if I have annoyed you with my posts. Many people on this forum have some sort of link with Oxbridge be it they are applying, or already there or something. This being a student forum I am particularly interested in meeting people that have/will share the same student experiences as me, and hence the frequent mention of university.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
anyway folks bak to the origional post. urm as much as i love my mini-whoihc kicka ss big time i dont think i can afford to take it/maintain it/tax/etc etc. but itys my mini n id love to take it....wishes he had a huge money supply. oh n also id be worried sick bout it being damaged.
linuxfan_india
Report 16 years ago
i dont think i can afford to take it/maintain it/tax/etc etc. but itys my mini n id love to take it....wishes he had a huge money supply. oh n also id be worried sick bout it being damaged.
Sell it, get over it and buy a new one after your degree.
scorpio
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i would take my car to uni, but they charge £360 a year to park it there though some uni's charge next to nothing. I know Plymouth Uni charge £15 a year to park your car on campus!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by linuxfan_india)
Sell it, get over it and buy a new one after your degree.

well ive spent lots of time effort and money on it. i know people will probably say its a waste of money but my car is a hobby as much as it is a way of getting around. i have learnt a lot of stuff, and find it very rewarding. my mini is a part of me....okay sop thats goin a bit far. but i am not selling it. wrap it in cotton wool while im away. oh doesany1 know of insurance companies that do good studentr insurance since ill only drive it in hols and occasional weekends.

cheers
wicked3610
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i had a car all the way through college and uni, was a drain financially but i managed and wouldnt have not had one - such a lifeline!
Dam
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I don't think you would get punished! It's probably like at exeter. You can take a car, but there would just be nowhere to park it.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dam)
I don't think you would get punished! It's probably like at exeter. You can take a car, but there would just be nowhere to park it.
East Anglia won't allow cars on campus, apart from in special circumstances. It doesn't bother me though - I can drive but use my mum's car so I don't have a car to take with me anyway!!!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dam)
It would probs be well expensive to get parking, if you found a spot.
Phil
notregistered
Report 16 years ago
Ah - get a 50cc scooter
Compared to a car:
No congestion charge
Hardly any fuel required (something like 5quid a fortnight)
Cheap MOT
Cheap Insurance (well, that depends on the driver I guess)
Cheap Road Tax

The only drawback is that helmet
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by notregistered)
Ah - get a 50cc scooter
Compared to a car:
No congestion charge
Hardly any fuel required (something like 5quid a fortnight)
Cheap MOT
Cheap Insurance (well, that depends on the driver I guess)
Cheap Road Tax

The only drawback is that helmet
Yeah, but a car's a lot safer, and more comfortable, not to mention drier when it rains.

Phil
notregistered
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)
Yeah, but a car's a lot safer, and more comfortable, not to mention drier when it rains.

Phil
of course it is

but everything comes at a price
and unfortunately for me, i am a poor person.

Ultimately, they both do the same thing, but one does it better than the other

(As Mercedes put it, "Some people are just better at movement than others")
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by notregistered)
of course it is

but everything comes at a price
and unfortunately for me, i am a poor person.

Ultimately, they both do the same thing, but one does it better than the other

(As Mercedes put it, "Some people are just better at movement than others")
I'm probs gonna have to get rid of my car when I go to uni, and buy a bike, or a bus pass, depending on whether or not I get into Oxford, or a London Uni.

Phil
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.42%
Excited (159)
9.19%
Worried (307)
17.74%
Terrified (383)
22.13%
Meh (176)
10.17%
Confused (37)
2.14%