The Student Room Group

Mature students: what time was the 'right' time to get back into education or uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Erik28
I don't think there ever is a 'right' time

For me, I'm 27, in a stable well paying job. But I don't really enjoy it The other week something just clicked and I thought 'Fvck it, why not?'. Now it's all I think about

I went to uni for a year when I was 18 but dropped out, I've always thought about going back but pushed those thoughts away. Now I'm hopefully going to do Linguistics this year, with the aim to be working in a job I actually enjoy. My mum summed it up perfectly, I'm not getting any younger and the days will pass me by if I'm not careful

Russell Brand partly inspired me as well. He's 41 and studying for a degree. He has no GCSEs or A-Levels. I thought if he can do it then so can I. My house mate is 39 and going to uni this year as well

I think it's a confidence thing, but seeing people around me do it and all the stories on here makes it seem so accessible!

Fantastic! Your mum is right, the days will pass you by! Do you want to look back at your life and think "what if"?

Will you have to do any studying to be accepted for uni?
Reply 21
Original post by Philip-flop
Do you want to look back at your life and think "what if"?

Will you have to do any studying to be accepted for uni?

Mum? Didn't know you were on here...?

It doesn't look like it. I called around yesterday all the uni's that I think I have a chance with and spoke with the admissions teams. The fact that I'm returning to study a subject I started ten years ago helps, and my job is very essay and report heavy. I think I failed my first year, but I've applied for my first year transcript to bolster my application.
I was 23 and was suffering a hypomanic episode brought on by antidepressants. I thought it was the "right time" for a lot of things, including staying up three nights on the run, getting about three hours sleep on the fourth night, walking six miles a day (although, on the plus side, I did lose quite a bit of weight - although the minimal eating did help there) and telling my grandmother (who I dislike) exactly how I felt about her years of emotional abuse and neglect. I stopped taking that med, eventually returned to "normal" (which is actually chronic depression with major depressive episodes), had a major depressive episode, recovered and didn't return to medication until earlier this year. I decided against a return to education several times in the six months between applying and starting, but I started in September 2016 and don't intend to quit now.

Now I'm 24, on the right antidepressant (i.e. one that doesn't make me lose sleep and say stuff that I would only ordinarily talk to a counsellor about) and three months from the end of an Access to HE course, looking forward to beginning Law with Criminology or Forensic Psychology in September (which course I do is grade-dependent). Whichever route I take, I intend to train as a barrister eventually. If I do Forensic Psychology, I will then have to complete a graduate diploma in law, but anyway...

The "right time" is different for everybody. My mum was 37. One of the guys in my college class is 43. Another is in his fifties and plans to become a mental health nurse.
Original post by a.little.bird
I was 23 and was suffering a hypomanic episode brought on by antidepressants. I thought it was the "right time" for a lot of things, including staying up three nights on the run, getting about three hours sleep on the fourth night, walking six miles a day (although, on the plus side, I did lose quite a bit of weight - although the minimal eating did help there) and telling my grandmother (who I dislike) exactly how I felt about her years of emotional abuse and neglect. I stopped taking that med, eventually returned to "normal" (which is actually chronic depression with major depressive episodes), had a major depressive episode, recovered and didn't return to medication until earlier this year. I decided against a return to education several times in the six months between applying and starting, but I started in September 2016 and don't intend to quit now.

Now I'm 24, on the right antidepressant (i.e. one that doesn't make me lose sleep and say stuff that I would only ordinarily talk to a counsellor about) and three months from the end of an Access to HE course, looking forward to beginning Law with Criminology or Forensic Psychology in September (which course I do is grade-dependent). Whichever route I take, I intend to train as a barrister eventually. If I do Forensic Psychology, I will then have to complete a graduate diploma in law, but anyway...

The "right time" is different for everybody. My mum was 37. One of the guys in my college class is 43. Another is in his fifties and plans to become a mental health nurse.

When it comes to nursing I feel experience is always key and I'm not suggesting all fresh school leavers at 18 aren't up to the job - but I think it's one of those careers where life experience is important
Original post by Jamz115
When it comes to nursing I feel experience is always key and I'm not suggesting all fresh school leavers at 18 aren't up to the job - but I think it's one of those careers where life experience is important

One of my daughters did her nursing degree when she was 30 and a single parent to two girls. She is now sister-in-charge of the Cardiac Ward at our local hospital. She did her degree at the same uni that I now attend in my 2nd year on a Criminology Degree and I am 69.
Original post by Seamus123
Today, I am 69 years old. I am in the 2nd year of a Criminology degree.

Fantastic,hope you enjoy every second.
Reply 26
For me it took about 6 years of various working experience to realize what I want to do. I did retail, hospitality, admin and operations. Nothing was fulfilling enough. I wanted to be creating things, not pushing papers. I was watching the software engineers at a company I used to work for, and they all seemed content with what they did. It was about then that I first became attracted to software engineering. CS is the future. :smile:
Applying for 2017 entry (I'm 26).
I worked in a uni from 19-30 and left last summer to start my access course. I am 31, and a single mother of two - I feel now is the right time because both of my children are in school, and I was at the point where I disliked going to work as I knew it wasnt what I really wanted to do. I started my access course in September and have surprised myself with how well I can do, lack of confidence!

cant wait to start in september!x
Original post by Michelle1811
I worked in a uni from 19-30 and left last summer to start my access course. I am 31, and a single mother of two - I feel now is the right time because both of my children are in school, and I was at the point where I disliked going to work as I knew it wasnt what I really wanted to do. I started my access course in September and have surprised myself with how well I can do, lack of confidence!

cant wait to start in september!x

Amazing! What are you doing your access course in? Will you be going to university?
My access course is health science and I will be studying food science and engineering at uni from September :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by furryface12
Just out of curiosity really. I've been out of education/paid work a couple of years for health reasons, and am just debating if there's a chance I could go to uni this year instead of next as I thought. I've worked out what course I want now, and something I'm actually passionate about rather than just good at. Wondering what other people's reasons were for doing what you did or are doing when you did it

life is all about opportunities so when you have a passion for something go for it when you have the chance and resources. And also its about time because you are not growing any younger.
Original post by Michelle1811
My access course is health science and I will be studying food science and engineering at uni from September :smile:

Oh wow, congrats! I'm assuming you'll be studying at your local university then?

Original post by nyashah
life is all about opportunities so when you have a passion for something go for it when you have the chance and resources. And also its about time because you are not growing any younger.

Very true. Also, studying as a mature person gets more and more difficult the older you get especially when you have so many other commitments!
(edited 7 years ago)
I have offers with Newcastle, Northumbria and Teesside so yeah, all fairly local to me as I'm in Durham. I'm lucky to have lots of uni's within an hours drive, as we have Durham and Sunderland too, but they don't offer my course unfortunately
Lots of people starting new things this year! Hopefully it'll work out for all of us- if anyone's looking at Keele at all then let me know! :redface:
save enough money to support you
Reply 35
Original post by Philip-flop
Also, studying as a mature person gets more and more difficult the older you get especially when you have so many other commitments!

But those commitments do fade away and change. Kids become more self-sufficient and/or leave home. Mortgages are paid off.

I could only afford to go back to uni in my mid-40s because I no longer had to work stupid hours to pay the mortgage, and I was able to build up my savings once I'd paid it off. My parents are heading into their late 70s and there will probably come a time when full-time uni study would become unfeasible again, as I care for them more.
Original post by Klix88
But those commitments do fade away and change. Kids become more self-sufficient and/or leave home. Mortgages are paid off.

I could only afford to go back to uni in my mid-40s because I no longer had to work stupid hours to pay the mortgage, and I was able to build up my savings once I'd paid it off. My parents are heading into their late 70s and there will probably come a time when full-time uni study would become unfeasible again, as I care for them more.

That's very true. There will be times where a person's commitments fluctuates.

:smile:
Hi everyone, I'm Bupe, will be joining Kerri & Gabi posting here. I am a mature student at Liverpool John Moores University(Forensic Science), and will be posting on Monday's please feel free to ask me anything!
In answer to your thread. I started uni at 40. ...definitely was the right time and I'm so glad I took that decision. On my final year now!

Bupe
Original post by Liverpool John Moores
Hi everyone, I'm Bupe, will be joining Kerri & Gabi posting here. I am a mature student at Liverpool John Moores University(Forensic Science), and will be posting on Monday's please feel free to ask me anything!
In answer to your thread. I started uni at 40. ...definitely was the right time and I'm so glad I took that decision. On my final year now!

Bupe

Amazing! What made you decide to go back to education? And what were you doing prior to going to university?
Reply 39
For me, it's been uncovering a field of work that I could see myself loving. It's related to other things I've done but makes good use of the skills I've developed as an adult and the areas of interest I have now. I've researched it and am essentially working to head in that direction but I'm also aiming to try and keep my options reasonably open if for some reason things don't work out/things change. It so happens that the part-time progress means that my kids will be adults by the time I'm done studying and ready to go back to work (I've home educated them) so it sort of all slots together neatly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending