friends with benefits
friends with no benefits
if a guy and girl enjoy hanging out then there's no reason why they can't
Zeealex
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As a woman with several guy friends I can say yeah, you can, I think I've only ever had feelings for 3 of them, out of the dozen I call close. The rest I think of as brothers.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 years ago
Well ofcourse.
Think of it this way:
A guy (straight) is friends with another guy (gay)...can they remain platonically friends?
Well they can.
Now this:
A girl(Straight) is friends with another girl (lesbian)..can they remain
platonically friends?
yes the can.

Lastly:
A guy and girl (whatever their sexual orientation) are friends with each other...can they remain
platonically friends?

Yeah, If both only feel a platonic relationship- of course they can
plus there are many factors as to how this relationship works, and depends on the people who are friends..so overall, this point isn't fully evaluated.
hope this helps!
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes of course. Having said that, most of my female friends are significant others or siblings of male friends.

If you catch unrequited sentiments you get over them. That's the long and the short of it.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 2 years ago
Oy a broch, this thread again.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a friend, and she is a girl, and she is just my friend. QED.
Angry Bird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by freedom)
Some of us guys have standards so if they below a certain level of attractiveness we keep it in our pants
That is a blatant lie... how dare you suggest that us men have any degree of self control!
Findingfayy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by whatfuture)
Yes/no and why/why not
I personally think they can
I have watched videos though like social experiment one1s, majority of the guys think no (in the vids).
100000% Yes. I get so surprised and shocked when people say no, or when people say yes but only when they don't think each other is attractive. I also hate this question because it's extremely heternormative, I'm a bi woman, so does that mean I should technically have neither male or female friends if this is true? No. When you become an adult, you realise you can be friends with anyone, but even when we were children in my area everyone was friends with everyone. The problem here is defining people by their gender, limiting people to being a man or a woman, when we are actually just all people, and we can befriend whomever we like. I also think lots of my friends are very attractive, but there are a multitude of factors that go into catching feelings or wanting to date someone, you just have to be mature.
SillyFish
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, I'm also queer but haven't ever crushed on my female friends, but I wonder if sometimes young teenage boys try harder to become more than friends?
2 of my closest male friends are also my exes from year 9 and year 11, and another had a crush on me in year 10. I hate the idea of the friendzone but I think some boys really think that way, whereas girls are less likely to.
(Original post by Findingfayy)
100000% Yes. I get so surprised and shocked when people say no, or when people say yes but only when they don't think each other is attractive. I also hate this question because it's extremely heternormative, I'm a bi woman, so does that mean I should technically have neither male or female friends if this is true? No. When you become an adult, you realise you can be friends with anyone, but even when we were children in my area everyone was friends with everyone. The problem here is defining people by their gender, limiting people to being a man or a woman, when we are actually just all people, and we can befriend whomever we like. I also think lots of my friends are very attractive, but there are a multitude of factors that go into catching feelings or wanting to date someone, you just have to be mature.
Findingfayy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SillyFish)
Yeah, I'm also queer but haven't ever crushed on my female friends, but I wonder if sometimes young teenage boys try harder to become more than friends?
2 of my closest male friends are also my exes from year 9 and year 11, and another had a crush on me in year 10. I hate the idea of the friendzone but I think some boys really think that way, whereas girls are less likely to.
Lol I'm glad you haven't experienced the crushing on female friends, I had a very special female friend the entirety of high school who I only realised in the last year of high school when we stopped talking for a couple reasons that I had definitely been crushing very hard the whole time. I do wonder if things look or feel different for guys, but honestly in the groups of friends I have I don't see any issues of girls and guys being friends, we all just hang out with people we enjoy hanging out with? Doesn't get much more complicated than that here haha. But we are all 18-19 almost 20 now, so maybe this is a question coming from a younger audience, who knows
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Yes, because it’s stupid to think otherwise. You need to make friends with many people in life, it’s stupid and limiting to just include one sex.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #5
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by whatfuture)
Yes/no and why/why not
I personally think they can
I have watched videos though like social experiment ones, majority of the guys think no (in the vids).
Some people can, some people can’t. I think it gets easier when ur older. When ur young it’s easier to fall in love with a friend because u just want to get in a relationship. I think when ur older, ur more realistic, and careful.

Ultimately, there are some people who just can’t have friends of the opposite sex, and many others who can very easily, and you fall into one of these two categories. maybe as u age, u change categories, but u usually stay in one or the other.

To be honest, I’ve had three male friends in my life and 2/3 caught feelings and I didn’t. I think it’s easier for girls to be friends with a guy, than for a guy to be friends with a girl. Idk why.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads