The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lemsip cold and flu capsules...they work wonders when I'm ill! They also have caffeine in, so it's a good energy boost. Don't take them before bed though, for obvious reasons
I took paracetamol and ibuprofen... Although my Freshers flu turned into tonsilltis and I also had a menningitis scare so I then had to have anti-biotics...

Ice cream also helps to soothe your throat and vicks/ olbus oil helps to clear your tubes :smile:
Reply 3
Get some vitamin C from orange juice or something as alcohol deplets the vitamin c in your body (I am assuming as a fresher you have been drinking :wink: )
:wink:
Orange juice is good advice!
you may well not be eating well enough. Looking back, my eating habits in the first term, in my first year at uni, were dreadful. Can just remember making sandwiches for a lengthy period of time, and having very very little protein. I was rather immature when it came to cooking food, cooking know-how etc...

much better now :cool:

If needs be, catch up on some much-needed sleep, and start eating more healthily.
Actually you've got a point there - our kitchen is really dingy and horrible and there's no window and it actually feels really depressing to stay there for 30 mins or so making something, so yeah I just do sandwiches and things..
Reply 8
You can get really cool vapouriser things by Sudafed that you plug in and it makes the room smell of eucalyptus and menthol. Not nice for guests but it helped me breathe much easier when I was ill! Hot Ribena to soothe your throat too. As other people have said, eat well- smmothies are really good if your budget will stretch to that!
sleep, lemsip, plenty of water, orange, garlic, a positive attitude and steam inhalation with essential oils (i dont care what anybody says aromatherapy is awesome. Tea-tree and sandalwood do woners for your sinuses and general head /nose problems)
Reply 10
kiwi fruit - has 3 times move vitamin C than oranges
Reply 11
Ive got freshers flu before even getting to Uni!!! Damm students have come here instead. Night nurse is godly in these situations..... knocks you out and works wonders on the cold.
I've eaten many many oranges, freshers' flu got me too...
Reply 13
Bah i just got i'll on friday and today is my first day at my accomm........DAMN YOU MURPHYS LAW!

All i have are lemsip tablets! Hope the orange juice will help.....i don't want to miss freshers :frown:
Reply 14
In all my years at University I've never had Freshers flu. I don't think it exists!
i had it, for most of the week
I've got freshers flu aswell :frown: Only thing that works for me is sleep and water.
This is now my 2nd september of not having to worry about this most wonderful of ailments.

However 3 Septembers of having this from 2003-2006, by the time I got through to the 3rd I'd got my cure down to a tee.

Hot Baths.
Albus Oil on pillows and duvet cover.
Lemsip.
Halls Soothers
Buttercup Syrup.
Contac Non-Drowsy.
Vicks First Defense Nasal Spray.

Cured within a week. No problems.
Don't be fooled - it's just a cutesy euphemism for AIDS. That's why everyone gets it every freshers; All banging like rabbits.
Expression
This is now my 2nd september of not having to worry about this most wonderful of ailments.

However 3 Septembers of having this from 2003-2006, by the time I got through to the 3rd I'd got my cure down to a tee.

Hot Baths.
Albus Oil on pillows and duvet cover.
Lemsip.
Halls Soothers
Buttercup Syrup.
Contac Non-Drowsy.
Vicks First Defense Nasal Spray.

Cured within a week. No problems.

Had it every august/september for the last 6 years. And bang on cue (if a little late this year) i have it once more. Tonsilitus.
I should maybe keep my mouth to myself more.

Latest

Trending

Trending