The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography A2 Unit 4: Life on the Margins- 9th June 2017

Edexcel Geography A2 Unit 4: Life on the Margins- 9th June 2017

Here's a new thread for all those focusing on option 3:

Explore the importance of different local and international strategies in improving food security.

Research a range of different locations that illustrate how different management strategies are used to address food insecurity.

(thread for unit 3:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4433994)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I am doing this option. Honestly I didn't think the pre release was terrible aka not super vague and this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like unit 4.
Would to hear what the rest of you thought of it.
Hi everyone, I have just collated all of the Life on the Margins EQ 4 management strategies past paper questions, mark schemes and examiner reports into 1 document - This is based upon the 2017 prerelease being about management strategies.

I hope you find it useful! :smile:

http://bit.ly/managementstrategies
(edited 7 years ago)
@Harryleavey thank you, you're a life saver!
Hey guys what questions have your teachers predicted? Do you think the word importance will need to be defined? If so how do you think importance can be quantified?
Original post by Libra1080p
Hey guys what questions have your teachers predicted? Do you think the word importance will need to be defined? If so how do you think importance can be quantified?

My geography lessons last week were cancelled due to an AS fieldwork trip, so my teachers haven't predicted anything yet.

But personally I think this is a 'standard' pre-release, with not too much to comment on. I think it is closest to the pre-release of Feb 2010 - to do with a discussion of the success/effectiveness of management strategies at different scales (worldwide players vs grassroots strategies). What do you think?

[However I certainly recognise the difference between this pre-release and Feb 2010: 'the importance' vs 'the need for all scales'.]

I have not looked over the Unit 4 content for a while so I can't comment much more - I will start revision once I have made more progress on revising for Unit 3. How is your revision going?
(edited 7 years ago)

I suppose most simply: the importance of different local and international strategies could be defined by the success of such strategies.

The success of management strategies may be based upon a criteria such as:
- Meeting all 4 Pillars of Food Security
- Appropriate to place, equal food access, meeting global rises in demand, environmental sustainability for long term security

Possibly a strategy would be considered more important if it is successful?
However it must be considered that strategies at a range of scales are needed to achieve global food security - Therefore one may make an argument of equal importance, despite varying success of strategies on different scales

My teacher emailed me this Powerpoint to provide initial questions to the pre-release. (I think slide 6 refers to the significance of 'importance')
@Harryleavey thank you, you're a life saver!

I think this enquiry question should be relatively easy to structure with the different scales and strategies.
Original post by harryleavey
My geography lessons last week were cancelled due to an AS fieldwork trip, so my teachers haven't predicted anything yet.

But personally I think this is a 'standard' pre-release, with not too much to comment on. I think it is closest to the pre-release of Feb 2010 - to do with a discussion of the success/effectiveness of management strategies at different scales (worldwide players vs grassroots strategies). What do you think?

[However I certainly recognise the difference between this pre-release and Feb 2010: 'the importance' vs 'the need for all scales'.]

I have not looked over the Unit 4 content for a while so I can't comment much more - I will start revision once I have made more progress on revising for Unit 3. How is your revision going?

I would say this pre-release also looks similar to June 2013 as well as 2011.
Hope your revision is going well!
Original post by Neddie001
I would say this pre-release also looks similar to June 2013 as well as 2011.
Hope your revision is going well!

Yes it does look similar. Although there is no specification of structure in 2013: just a discussion of effectiveness, whereas this year's pre-release may suggest a discussion of different scales.
My teacher emailed me this Powerpoint to provide initial questions to the pre-release. (I think slide 6 refers to the significance of 'importance':wink:

omg your teacher is amazing !! i wish mine would be as helpful

I agree, I think it will be to do with the importance of local vs national and international management strategies. I just don't get what criteria would be used to decipher the 'importance' aspect as to achieve top marks all aspects of the title need to be addressed.
I'm so lost for Unit 3 haha, I should be focusing on that really.
I suppose most simply: the importance of different local and international strategies could be defined by the success of such strategies.

The success of management strategies may be based upon a criteria such as:
- Meeting all 4 Pillars of Food Security
- Appropriate to place, equal food access, meeting global rises in demand, environmental sustainability for long term security

Possibly a strategy would be considered more important if it is successful?
However it must be considered that strategies at a range of scales are needed to achieve global food security - Therefore one may make an argument of equal importance, despite varying success of strategies on different scales

Yeah I think this sounds like a good way to look at importance
My teacher emailed me this Powerpoint to provide initial questions to the pre-release. (I think slide 6 refers to the significance of 'importance':wink:

<33333333
Now time to find some relevant case studies
Now time to find some relevant case studies

Yeah, we researched everything a while ago - But I will probably just need to find more case studies which are more relevant to this pre-release.

I'm so lost for Unit 3 haha, I should be focusing on that really.

What topics do you think you will revise?
I'm focusing on Energy and Superpowers, and will briefly revise Technological Fix and Water
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
what case studies are people using for this question?
Original post by rmjp
what case studies are people using for this question?

I'm not sure/can't remember - I haven't started revising unit 4 yet.

But here is a case study template for the Unit 4 Life on the Margins pre-release:

Quick Reply

Latest