The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography A2 Unit 4: Life on the Margins- 9th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
do you have anymore info on these case studies? also does anyone know what the north darfur, sudan case study is about? i've seen it everywhere but havent learnt it before
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
^^ thank you! Has anyone got any examples of National strategies? All I have right now is food banks
Reply 22
Original post by harryleavey
I would argue that food banks are local.
They are often run by local charities/councils and they impact local communities.

(However they could potentially by funded by a national institution or government)

I wouldn't worry too much about strictly finding a 'national' strategy because firstly, the pre-release only says 'different local and international strategies' and in most cases, you can adapt a strategy and argue it to be a national strategy instead.

For example, you could argue that the Green Revolution of the 1960s was National because it was prominent in India and the Punjab. However it did have impacts on global food production - albeit controversial.

Nevertheless, a few 'national' strategies which I can think of include:
- UK Strategies to reduce food waste (Use your own experience as a case study - recycling strategies in your area...)
- Hydroponic farming in the UK (Kent)
- Government regulation of current agricultural markets

I think it is difficult to strictly categorise some case studies into local/national/global as there are overlaps. You may also wish to consider the different types of strategy and use this to explain it's importance:
e.g High tech vs Low tech, Bottom-up/Appropriate/Grassroots (Tend to be local e.g Zeer Pots) vs Top-Down/Large Scale (Tend to be global e.g Fairtrade).

_________

These are the case studies which I have chosen and will revise thoroughly for the exam

Local:

Winchester Basics Food Bank (Short Term Relief)

Intercropping Push-Pull Farming in Western Kenya (High Tech but Appropriate)

Farming Expansion into Marginal Land (High Tech, Capacity Building)

Magic Stones/Bunds in Burkina Faso (Oxfam Funded) (Capacity Building, Low Tech)

International:

Emergency Food Aid: WFP (Short Term)

Green Revolution in Punjab and AGRA (Capacity Building)

Fair-trade (System Redesign)

Oh yeah this will probably be a better way of looking at it, thank you. What are your headings going to be for your analysis? Like 1) Capacity building, 2) System Redesign etc?

Also is a construction of a dam system redesign?
Is a installing an irrigation system capacity building?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
I have just received a message about case studies/categorisation of case studies, so I thought I would quickly make a document summarising of all of my Food Insecurity Management Case Studies.

They are categorised into Local, International/National as per the pre-release as well as the different type of strategy.

If anyone would like any more information about any of these case studies, I am happy to share - Or if anyone else has any case studies they would like to add to the table...?

:smile:

Do you know any Methodology examples that are 15/15 marks (preferably for the Life On The Margins topic)? I'm struggling to find any online, and the highest I've gotten was 12 marks and I can't seem to ever get higher than that :/
Original post by jas149
Do you know any Methodology examples that are 15/15 marks (preferably for the Life On The Margins topic)? I'm struggling to find any online, and the highest I've gotten was 12 marks and I can't seem to ever get higher than that :/

I have attached 2 examples from my class which were seen as exemplar responses by my teacher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rmjp
Oh yeah this will probably be a better way of looking at it, thank you. What are your headings going to be for your analysis? Like 1) Capacity building, 2) System Redesign etc?

I wouldn't be able to tell you until I have seen the actual question
Original post by rmjp

It sounds like these case study ideas would be appropriate for a desertification management response. This could be useful if you decide to structure your response by different types of management strategy, or if the question hints at it.

I wouldn't say a dam is system redesign, I think a dam would be considered capacity building against the impacts of desertification and land degradation.

However, I would be careful in using a dam case study for this pre-release, unless you could clearly explain how important it is as a management strategy to the issue of food insecurity. Make sure to choose a dam project which is specifically designed for food insecurity/desertification management e.g Adi Hakefa-Lamza Micro Dam in Eritrea - Not just a random dam e.g Three Gorges Dam.
Reply 27
I have attached 2 exemplars from my class which were seen as exemplar responses by my teacher.

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello

I will be undertaking my A2 Coursework for Edexcel Geography.My coursework will be based in a coastal area.I am wondering whether anyone has any ideas as to what my investigation could be based on e.g.beach profile, land use Thank you
Reply 29
Original post by MacBook01
Hello

I will be undertaking my A2 Coursework for Edexcel Geography.My coursework will be based in a coastal area.I am wondering whether anyone has any ideas as to what my investigation could be based on e.g.beach profile, land use Thank you

Are you doing the new specification? This thread is for the old Edexcel spec :smile:
Hello

Hi

Either you are confusing AS for A2 or you are on a new specification/different exam board.

The A2 Specification for Edexcel Geography does not include any compulsory fieldwork, nor does it include any specific content about Coastal Areas.

I hope you find the correct thread for your query.
Hi

Either you are confusing AS for A2 or you are on a new specification/different exam board.

The A2 Specification for Edexcel Geography does not include any compulsory fieldwork, nor does it include any specific content about Coastal Areas.

I hope you find the correct thread for your query.

Hi

Yes, this is for the new specification from 2016.Do you know where the correct thread is ?
Original post by jas149
Are you doing the new specification? This thread is for the old Edexcel spec :smile:

Yes this is for the 2016 spec do u know where the one for new one is ?
Reply 33
Yes this is for the 2016 spec do u know where the one for new one is ?

No I don't know, sorry :/
Reply 34
Is china's green wall capacity building low or high tech?

Also has anyone got any case study profiles on kenya's tissue culture for bananas?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rmjp
Is china's green wall capacity building low or high tech?

Also has anyone got any case study profiles on kenya's tissue culture for bananas?

High tech imo. But be careful with that case study: It is more of a desertification case study than one to increase food security.

See my previous post for details on Kenya's Tissue Culture
Reply 36
High tech imo. But be careful with that case study: It is more of a desertification case study than one to increase food security.

See my previous post for details on Kenya's Tissue Culture

For some reason I can't see the Tissue culture case study in your shared Evernote link. Do you think you could send it to me in another way?

Also is it ok to say 'low tech' or do you have to say low technology (not sure if they care abbreviations or not)

these are so helpful thank you so much !
but for the high tech capacity building I've noticed you used both hydroponics and aquaculture , a better one to use would be 'Aquaponics' which is a merge of both the two and is much more sustainable

http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4021e/i4021e01.pdf
Thank you - Looks like an interesting strategy.
However I am not using all of these case studies.

Upon receiving the pre-release I have narrowed my case studies to these - which I feel are more relevant, given the classification of local and international as well as a focus on only food insecure locations.

Picture1.png

ohh alright
do you really think its a must to distinguish between local and internationally ? because most of my case studies are ones that started of local and are now being used internationally 😩
Original post by aisha266
ohh alright
do you really think its a must to distinguish between local and internationally ? because most of my case studies are ones that started of local and are now being used internationally 😩

It depends on the specific detail of the question, or how you interpret the pre-release.

The question may refer to strategies that are 'local and international' - i.e A strategy that is both local and international.

On the other hand, it may refer to a range of strategies, and ask you to compare the importance/success of local strategies, and international strategies.

Personally, I think the latter is more likely, hence why I have structured in this way. However it is simple to adapt the case studies to answer either question.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending