The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography A2 Unit 4: Life on the Margins- 9th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aisha266
haha yes i meant if you thought its right as a strategy..

idk about it being against human rights , many people suffer from having large families , most african/arab/indian poor families have 6+ children and its a struggle to feed them all (so kids may die from malnutrition) which leads to other problems that families use to remove their burdens such as early marriages like in Bangladesh, or not being able to give them an education because all the energy and money has to go into providing food. So to me population control may actually remove their burden. And when i say population control i definitely don't mean a one child policy like in China because yes that would lead to an ageing population in the economy. I mean like a 2 or 3 child policy which would definitely help to lower the birth rates in developing countries ( i don't know if i would have to specify that in my report though)

They don't have large families for the sake of it. The large families are not necessarily a 'burden' on the households - They are needed to produce food. Poor healthcare means that there is a high likelihood of children dying a young age. Hence the high BR.

They have large families because of malnutrition. Not just the other way around. If they didn't have high birth rates then they would not be have enough people to farm their subsistence land. And food insecurity would be worse.

Population control without improvements to healthcare would be catastrophic for such households. You can't take away the most important factor of production and then expect food security to improve if you don't improve their likelihood of surviving past age 1 (infant mortality).

Unless you are really confident in your ability to explain the impact of birth control, I would recommend that you choose another strategy which is more directly linked to food security - namely supply rather than demand. If you are determined that you want to look at demand-side strategies to manage food security, then I would advise a strategy such as dietary change, which is often well received by examiners, according to the examiner reports - And easier to comprehend/explain with regard to food security.

Birth control is a complex and controversial topic, especially regarding food security.

Btw an ageing population isn't the largest problem with Chinese One Child Policy. In fact an ageing population is often a symptom of a highly developed country in the DTM. And it is important to merit the OCP in that it avoided a second famine in China. Although in my opinion there are strategies which have less negative externalities which would have still alleviated severe food insecurity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you guys think that it's better to structure it such as Local, National and International strategies or like you have suggested, Short tem relief, Capacity building and System redesign or just lay it out as having just strategies first then classify it into groups later into the paragraph e.g. Reducing consumption of meat, Sustainable agriculture, Polyculture etc.
Thanks!
Original post by The Pepe
Do you guys think that it's better to structure it such as Local, National and International strategies or like you have suggested, Short tem relief, Capacity building and System redesign or just lay it out as having just strategies first then classify it into groups later into the paragraph e.g. Reducing consumption of meat, Sustainable agriculture, Polyculture etc.
Thanks!

We haven't seen the question so this cannot be answered yet.

Based upon the pre-release, your first suggestion would be risky given that the pre-release only mentions local and international. (Not national).

Your last suggestion does not sound very structured.

From what we know so far (the pre-release) your second suggestion makes for the safest bet.

However, it is better to simply revise all relevant case studies/strategies and then think about the structure once you have seen the question in the exam. You may risk trying to guess the question, and then planning your response too much - without having seen the question. The examiners really do not like this.
Reply 83
Does anyone have examples of A grade responses? I would like to have one just to see the standard for an A grade clearly. Thanks xx
Original post by lauuu19
Does anyone have examples of A grade responses? I would like to have one just to see the standard for an A grade clearly. Thanks xx

http://bitly.com/managementstrategies

Here are some examiner reports. They feature some high level responses.
Reply 85
Does anyone have any tips in regards to timing? Within the 90 minutes that we have I have only been able to write about my first three strategies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking my paragraphs are maybe a bit long and any suggestions to cut particular bits out would be greatly appreciated. Also any other advice would be taken on board. And by the way the question our teacher set was 'Assess the view that strategies to improve food security are important on both local and international levels'. The attached images are of one of my local strategies - just an indication of how long my paragraphs are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by harryleavey
To some extent yes. Maybe due to the 'range of different locations'? But I don't think it is encouraging you to use non-food insecure locations.

I think it is important for the majority of your locations to be food insecure so that you can assess the importance of it, as a strategy to improve food insecurity. Although I guess you could evaluate by suggesting it 'is not important' because it has not been successfully used to improve food insecurity in a food insecure country

The question is not about comparing the characteristics of food insecurity between different countries (EQ1) which I feel your suggestion may risk.

Obviously we cannot be certain - But my judgement is based upon past examiner reports and my teachers' advice. Your decision may be perfectly creditable also.

Yes, the 'range of differnt locations' and in the mark scheme for the reserach to access top band they have a section on 'wide range and relevant case studies used (by scale or location)' but if they specifiy scale in the pre release I thought it would make sense to have a range .

Food insecurity does exsist within countries though.

Roughly how many pages are you guys being able to write in 1hr and 30 mins?
Reply 87
Original post by Nettled
Yes, the 'range of differnt locations' and in the mark scheme for the reserach to access top band they have a section on 'wide range and relevant case studies used (by scale or location)' but if they specifiy scale in the pre release I thought it would make sense to have a range .

Food insecurity does exsist within countries though.

Roughly how many pages are you guys being able to write in 1hr and 30 mins?

Usually 6-7 pages. Timing was always an issue for me. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jas149
Usually 6-7 pages. Timing was always an issue for me. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't tried writing it out in timed conditions yet. But the draft I've written is pretty long. How many case studies are you using?
Reply 89
Original post by Nettled
I haven't tried writing it out in timed conditions yet. But the draft I've written is pretty long. How many case studies are you using?

8 (3 low-techs, 3 high-techs and 2 system redesigns)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jas149

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that's a lot of case studies. How long do you spend on each case study? If you have managed to successfully complete one in timed conditios :tongue:
Reply 91
Original post by Nettled
Wow, that's a lot of case studies. How long do you spend on each case study? If you have managed to successfully complete one in timed conditios :tongue:

Yeah haha. I use two of them for my evaluation, so I only write in depth for 6 of them. I would spend 10 minutes on each one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jas149

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Nettled

I would say 8 case studies is about right. I have about 8-9 too.

However it may not be that you use all of them in the exam. Their relevance depends on the question. You may only use about 5 or 6.
But the exam board is not prescriptive - Just ensure a range is offered which answers the question set.
Original post by aj122
Does anyone have any tips in regards to timing? Within the 90 minutes that we have I have only been able to write about my first three strategies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking my paragraphs are maybe a bit long and any suggestions to cut particular bits out would be greatly appreciated. Also any other advice would be taken on board. And by the way the question our teacher set was 'Assess the view that strategies to improve food security are important on both local and international levels'. The attached images are of one of my local strategies - just an indication of how long my paragraphs are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest, have you learned your case studies yet? or did you use your notes to write this?
Reply 94
Original post by harryleavey
Out of interest, have you learned your case studies yet? or did you use your notes to write this?

I used my revision cards to get all of the facts but I am nearly there in regards to memorizing all of the facts and stuff.
Reply 95
Has anyone got any model answers?
Reply 96
https://www.dropbox.com/s/beqcjkzisyl186k/IMG_20170514_0001.pdf?dl=0

Here is my essay, based on a hypothetical title, "Evaluate the success of different local and international strategies in improving food security"

Its not too long, if you want to have a look and give feedback thats great. Let me know what you like, where you would differ. Also, I have 20+ case studies so if there is any one that you like, do let me know and I can send it to you in full.
Reply 97
How is everyone getting on with the analysis and discussion section? any tips on evaluation/analysis?
Reply 98
Original post by ashley8982
can someone can explain the food banks case study in the UK please or provide good links ?

Thanks

A food bank is a non-profit organization working to eliminate hunger by providing food, education and other resources to a network of hunger-relief charities and their communities. - http://foodbanksbc.org/our-impact/what-is-a-food-bank/

The Trussell Trust’s 400-strong network of foodbanks provides a minimum of three days’ emergency food and support to people experiencing crisis in the UK.

They helped raise awareness of poverty in their community and collected essential items.so when local people in crisis are referred, the foodbank is able to offer that vital help. Example: Lewisham - 4,850 - Three-day emergency food supplies given to people in crisis last year.
Reply 99
Has anyone got any predictions on what the question may be? Possibly from your teachers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending