Has anyone self-taught themselves any A-levels?

Watch
michael10101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Has anyone done this? If so, what subject(s) did you do?
Is it difficult?
I am thinking to self teach myself A-levels in a gap year and I am thinking of doing either History, Politics, Sociology.
I don't mind any other suggestions if possible.
Thanks
AmarRPM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by michael10101)
Is it difficult?
I am thinking to self teach myself A-levels in a gap year and I am thinking of doing either History, Politics, Sociology.
Thanks
I can't really speak on behalf of arts/humanities subjects, but right now I'm at a college where I'm pretty much self teaching A Level computer science due to the quality of teaching being so awful, and teachers constantly leaving.

I'm finding it OK, but in all honesty being able to have a teacher to teach the subject and go over areas that you're unsure on helps a LOT.
hellomynameisr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Self taught AS further maths and self teaching A2 fm now.

Not that hard if you apply yourself
Esmeralda T
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeah ...we had a not so great biology teacher. So most of my classmates and I had to self study and teach ourselves. It is good except it takes longer and if u have problems or questions/doubts, u might have to check other books or the internet which will waste alot of time...thats where ull need a teacher
Ticktactical
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Best way of doing it imo, if you're a 'visual learner' that is.
michael10101
Rep:
?
Oh, not very keen on sciences aha but thanks
(Original post by Esmeralda T)
yeah ...we had a not so great biology teacher. So most of my classmates and I had to self study and teach ourselves. It is good except it takes longer and if u have problems or questions/doubts, u might have to check other books or the internet which will waste alot of time...thats where ull need a teacher
michael10101
Rep:
?
I do maths right now, but will probably do again in my gap year if i dont get an A
(Original post by hellomynameisr)

Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Self-taught Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Honestly, so glad that I had to self-teach and didn't have to go through the whole slow classroom pace thing.
489maw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zacken)
Self-taught Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Honestly, so glad that I had to self-teach and didn't have to go through the whole slow classroom pace thing.
what is the different between math and further math?
Methoxy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I self taught A-Level Chemistry and A-Level History.

For science, it was difficult because I could not find a school which would allow me to sit the practical exams there, so I forfeited them (get 0) and just sat the exams, which made it a lot harder. In terms of exam content, it was quite easy to self-study for this subject actually as little goblets of information are all that was needed for the exams really.

For history, this was more challenging, make good use of the examiners reports and read a lot of papers to widen your vocab and be able to make a good argument using knowledge to drive all arguments and you can do well. Revising for the exams was fine for this, again just loads of key dates and information to recall.

Self-study builds good independent study skills for university study, and I can say that my self-study really helped me make the transition into university style learning, where you are really left to your own devices and not spoon-fed information.
Mathlete18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I taught myself a third A-level in maths - Further maths (additional). Basically just another 6 modules. Personally I didn't find it too challenging but then maths is my forte to be fair! I suspect it's a lot easier to teach yourself a maths A-level than a humanities A-level though, but if you put in the graft I don't see why you couldn't
sunshine774
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hellomynameisr)

How did you self did AS FM and what did you get? Where did you sit the exams and how much did it cost?
Wow how did you self teach AS FM? Where did you sit the exams and how much did it cost?
LinusTechTips
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by michael10101)
Is it difficult?
Thanks
Yeah, things like maths and sciences are good, you can buy books with all the info well explained in and theres loads of youtube vids covering all the topics well, I'm doing AS maths and soon moving onto A2 and its not that hard as long as you make notes and do plenty of practice questions and past papers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm pretty much self teaching politics... But I properly self-taught myself AS economics and I'm currently self-teaching A-level economics, considering I got an A at AS it wasn't a complete disaster. If you plan to self-teach and want an online course, the best thing would be uplearn. I believe by next year they'll have maths, economics, history, physics, politics, and a few more.

Economics is a tough one and so is history (I attempted Self-teaching history, I was getting B's/A's in the Britiain module which I finished but the USA one was just too much... so I pulled out). If you do history you have the freedom of choosing your own topics which is great. If you do politics you have that freedom too I guess.

I personally find everything in politics easy to grasp except some stuff in the USA such as congressional committees and federal agencies (I think everyone struggles with theses) but in terms of ease, politics is by far the best and easiest to self-teach. I'm not familiar with the new spec but if you self-teach politics DONT opt for the USA option, do UK + ideologies. NOT UK + USA since its useless imo, you basically learn the same thing but in the context of America and have to learn the American system - something not even Obama could master and I don't even need to mention trump.

Also with ideologies you'll cover some sociology, some history and of course some politics but I think the emphasis would be on history and current government policies.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 489maw)
what is the different between math and further math?
There isn't really any in my opinion. It's just more of the same dull stuff.

(Original post by sunshine774)
How did you self did AS FM and what did you get? Where did you sit the exams and how much did it cost?
Read/watches the material. Did a few past papers and then sat the exam. Sat it in a centre in my town.
hellomynameisr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sunshine774)
My school didn't have a teacher for it so I just used examsolutions lol. They paid for everything. Got an A
Random98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AS Level: Biology, Chemistry and Physics.. (got 2 Cs and a D)

To be honest, it is CRAZY HARD (if its your first time and you're really bad at managing and following timetables), BUT quite manageable if you know how to really plan and schedule everything. Set up goals and time limits, follow your timetables, finish work on time.. its not impossible.
I, on other hand, WAS NOT able to manage all that well.. I wasted time on useless stuff and at the end, a lot of important material was left. It was mainly because of my lack of experience at self dependent studying. I wasn't exactly a full-time teacher dependent student, but not so independent either. So yeah, i did run out of time. However, at the end, I was completely aware of and realized what my mistakes were and the things i could have done to improve my whole year study progress.
SO, I'm still on the same track, self teaching myself, doing my A2s. And thank goodness they're going great. Hopefully expecting 2Bs and a C.

Oh and as a side note, I had zero experience with practicals (never ever did a single practical in my life), and the first practical I ever did was on my exam day. I'm not joking. So..i don't know.. maybe the practicals didn't work out for me and probably are the reason for my lower grades..
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
pretty much all of maths and further maths
IrrationalRoot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In C4 I swear we had 20 lessons in a row of f***ing binomial expansion. It was painful. Thankfully my further maths teachers were nice and supportive and allowed me to ignore most of the classwork/homework and just sit there in the lessons working through STEP papers.
math42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IrrationalRoot)
In C4 I swear we had 20 lessons in a row of f***ing binomial expansion. It was painful. Thankfully my further maths teachers were nice and supportive and allowed me to ignore most of the classwork/homework and just sit there in the lessons working through STEP papers.
My class took like four months on C1 at AS lmao. Barely finished C2 in time. And then everyone still got Cs Ds and Es in the C1 exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads