The Student Room Group

Has anyone self-taught themselves any A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

If you want to self teach politics try getting a "pre chewed politics account"

Also History A2 has coursework idk how that would work when self teaching.
Original post by zayn008
I'm pretty much self teaching politics... But I properly self-taught myself AS economics and I'm currently self-teaching A-level economics, considering I got an A at AS it wasn't a complete disaster. If you plan to self-teach and want an online course, the best thing would be uplearn. I believe by next year they'll have maths, economics, history, physics, politics, and a few more.

Economics is a tough one and so is history (I attempted Self-teaching history, I was getting B's/A's in the Britiain module which I finished but the USA one was just too much... so I pulled out). If you do history you have the freedom of choosing your own topics which is great. If you do politics you have that freedom too I guess.

I personally find everything in politics easy to grasp except some stuff in the USA such as congressional committees and federal agencies (I think everyone struggles with theses) but in terms of ease, politics is by far the best and easiest to self-teach. I'm not familiar with the new spec but if you self-teach politics DONT opt for the USA option, do UK + ideologies. NOT UK + USA since its useless imo, you basically learn the same thing but in the context of America and have to learn the American system - something not even Obama could master and I don't even need to mention trump.

Also with ideologies you'll cover some sociology, some history and of course some politics but I think the emphasis would be on history and current government policies.

For History im going to retake britain and USA too aha. For Politics ima bit worried because there is a 45 marker and without a teacher wont this be too much? Luckily I already do co and history this year for A2 so wont be as bad.
Original post by SuperHuman98
If you want to self teach politics try getting a "pre chewed politics account"

Also History A2 has coursework idk how that would work when self teaching.

oh cool ill look in to that
what exam board shall i do?
Reply 23
Original post by michael10101
For History im going to retake britain and USA too aha. For Politics ima bit worried because there is a 45 marker and without a teacher wont this be too much? Luckily I already do co and history this year for A2 so wont be as bad.

Go for a different exam board? I'm with Aqa and we don't 45 marks, AS was 2* 5+10+25, A2 is 2*10+30
Original post by michael10101
Has anyone done this? If so, what subject(s) did you do?
Is it difficult?
I am thinking to self teach myself A-levels in a gap year and I am thinking of doing either History, Politics, Sociology.
I don't mind any other suggestions if possible.
Thanks

I've been self-teaching myself maths which has been alright - mainly because I can easily mark things etc and it's quite easy to work through by myself.

I did sociology A Level and had to teach myself bits and pieces of the course because my attendace at college dropped for various reasons and it wasn't too bad - I got a B overall, which I was pleased with, although I had hoped for an A.

I can definitley recommend soicology as a subject and it seems as though it would fit nicely with the other 2 subjects as well!

Be aware though that it will be quite hard to accuratley mark essays and stuff because it is so subjective, but working through the content on your own should be ok!

If you do decide to do sociology, then feel free to PM me for resources and stuff :smile:
Original post by 08graya
I've been self-teaching myself maths which has been alright - mainly because I can easily mark things etc and it's quite easy to work through by myself.

I did sociology A Level and had to teach myself bits and pieces of the course because my attendace at college dropped for various reasons and it wasn't too bad - I got a B overall, which I was pleased with, although I had hoped for an A.

I can definitley recommend soicology as a subject and it seems as though it would fit nicely with the other 2 subjects as well!

Be aware though that it will be quite hard to accuratley mark essays and stuff because it is so subjective, but working through the content on your own should be ok!

If you do decide to do sociology, then feel free to PM me for resources and stuff :smile:

Thanks!!
I am strongly considering it but politics seems as its more of a certain A if you work hard? im not sure ill look in to it, thanks a lot though
Original post by zayn008
I'm pretty much self teaching politics... But I properly self-taught myself AS economics and I'm currently self-teaching A-level economics, considering I got an A at AS it wasn't a complete disaster. If you plan to self-teach and want an online course, the best thing would be uplearn. I believe by next year they'll have maths, economics, history, physics, politics, and a few more.

Economics is a tough one and so is history (I attempted Self-teaching history, I was getting B's/A's in the Britiain module which I finished but the USA one was just too much... so I pulled out). If you do history you have the freedom of choosing your own topics which is great. If you do politics you have that freedom too I guess.

I personally find everything in politics easy to grasp except some stuff in the USA such as congressional committees and federal agencies (I think everyone struggles with theses) but in terms of ease, politics is by far the best and easiest to self-teach. I'm not familiar with the new spec but if you self-teach politics DONT opt for the USA option, do UK + ideologies. NOT UK + USA since its useless imo, you basically learn the same thing but in the context of America and have to learn the American system - something not even Obama could master and I don't even need to mention trump.

Also with ideologies you'll cover some sociology, some history and of course some politics but I think the emphasis would be on history and current government policies.

Hiya,

I would love to speak to you about your experience being self-taught, and have a few questions I'd like to ask
Ya sure!
i have seen many successfully attempt and get good grades my elder sibling did it and scored A*A C A ( maths,chemistry,further maths,physics)

Here,where i live the Teaching is simply awful and with the current internet resources like KHAN ACADEMY, CHEM GUIDE, etc... it is definitely possibly!

you have to be certain that you are capable of pulling it off. It isn't easy and if not done properly, you could be in a mess.SAD!(trump style)

In conclusion;certainly possible,given the right mindset and online resources. TREMENDOUS!
Basically did History by myself, as our teacher is utterly useless.
Reply 29
Where do you sit the exam if you do it at home, I want to take bio and chem externally
Original post by Jkoo22
Where do you sit the exam if you do it at home, I want to take bio and chem externally

Just call some local colleges and see
If they take private candidates... I'm sitting my Spanish AS/A2 at a private school in Norwich. I just turn up and take exams, then leave.
I'm basically self teaching Spanish and I'm finding it hard, boring and super lonely. So if you like classroom based learning I wouldn't recommend it. I have no choice... I'm desperate to get into Uni so I can finally have cohorts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't self-taught myself but I have self-taught others.
Original post by hellomynameisr
My school didn't have a teacher for it so I just used examsolutions lol. They paid for everything. Got an A :smile:

how is that even possible
Original post by hellomynameisr
My school didn't have a teacher for it so I just used examsolutions lol. They paid for everything. Got an A :smile:

there are quite a few topics in fp3 and m3 that exam solutions hasnt covered so how did you study those? I just gave my AS exams and am considering doing A level fm in my A2 year
Reply 34
Original post by 75seconds4
there are quite a few topics in fp3 and m3 that exam solutions hasnt covered so how did you study those? I just gave my AS exams and am considering doing A level fm in my A2 year

I did the same thing -- just used examsolutions for pretty much all of my modules except for FP3 and M3, as you point out. For those, I just used the Edexcel textbook; FP3 is quite a short module.
Original post by Zacken
Self-taught Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Honestly, so glad that I had to self-teach and didn't have to go through the whole slow classroom pace thing.

How did you get on? Do you have any tips?

Thank you,

Mia
Reply 36
Original post by AmarRPM
I can't really speak on behalf of arts/humanities subjects, but right now I'm at a college where I'm pretty much self teaching A Level computer science due to the quality of teaching being so awful, and teachers constantly leaving.

I'm finding it OK, but in all honesty being able to have a teacher to teach the subject and go over areas that you're unsure on helps a LOT.

same for me for biology. i just teach myself mainly everything because my teachers are so unreliable. pick something you really enjoy and you should be fine. it can be enjoyable sometimes to learn everything on your own if teachers are unpleasant
Original post by Methoxy
I self taught A-Level Chemistry and A-Level History.

For science, it was difficult because I could not find a school which would allow me to sit the practical exams there, so I forfeited them (get 0) and just sat the exams, which made it a lot harder. In terms of exam content, it was quite easy to self-study for this subject actually as little goblets of information are all that was needed for the exams really.

For history, this was more challenging, make good use of the examiners reports and read a lot of papers to widen your vocab and be able to make a good argument using knowledge to drive all arguments and you can do well. Revising for the exams was fine for this, again just loads of key dates and information to recall.

Self-study builds good independent study skills for university study, and I can say that my self-study really helped me make the transition into university style learning, where you are really left to your own devices and not spoon-fed information.

Hi
I hope you are well I am self teaching myself a level chemistry I do OCR A please can you tell me the resources you used and how you revised and if it is possible to get an A* .

thank you
Original post by meerab.fx
Hi
I hope you are well I am self teaching myself a level chemistry I do OCR A please can you tell me the resources you used and how you revised and if it is possible to get an A* .

thank you

This is an extremely old thread, so you might not get an answer from the OPs.

KhanAcademy is a good shout. Well structured and free. I didn’t take A levels but used it to get through complex calculus for an engineering degree.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chris2892
This is an extremely old thread, so you might not get an answer from the OPs.

KhanAcademy is a good shout. Well structured and free. I didn’t take A levels but used it to get through complex calculus for an engineering degree.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest