The Student Room Group

didnt get accepted at the university i wanted to go to

Hi ,I am currently doing 3 A levels (Maths,Further Maths and Chemistry)
I got 4 A Grades in my AS levels (Maths ,Further Maths, Chemsitry and Biology),in the 6 modules for Maths I achieved 100 % in all 6 modules and topped my year in Biology and Chemistry .
I applied to Oxford ,Imperial ,UCL ,Bristol and Warwick ,to study for a degree in Maths.I have had condtional offers from UCL,Bristol and Warwick but unfunfortunately have been rejected by oxford and imperial .I don't understand what more I could have done considering I got 100 percent in all the maths modules to get an offer from Oxford and imperial as I really was desparate to get into and study at Oxford or Imperial.I have become very depressed because of this as I feel academically i have achieved the best possible marks in AS level and still didnt get an offer from Oxford or Imperial.I am now considering to change my course to medicine by taking a gap year to complete Biology A level, I am predicted to get 3 A* in the A levels that I will be completing his year and I was predicted A*in Biology too but I dropped it .Please advice should I stick to maths or change my career path to medicine as it has a wider scope and more prospects .

Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pheam
I got 4 A Grades in my AS levels (Maths ,Further Maths, Chemsitry and Biology),in the 6 modules for Maths I achieved 100 % in all 6 modules and topped my year in Biology and Chemistry .
I applied to Oxford ,Imperial ,UCL ,Bristol and Warwick ,to study for a degree in Maths.I have had condtional offers from UCL,Bristol and Warwick but unfunfortunately have been rejected by oxford and imperial .I don't understand what more I could have done considering I got 100 percent in all the maths modules to get an offer from Oxford and imperial as I really was desparate to get into and study at Oxford or Imperial.I have become very depressed because of this as I feel academically i have achieved the best possible marks in AS level and still didnt get an offer from Oxford or Imperial.I am now considering to change my course to medicine by taking a gap year to complete Biology A level, I am predicted to get 3 A* in the A levels that I will be completing his year and I was predicted A*in Biology too but I dropped it .Please advice should I stick to maths or change my career path to medicine as it has a wider scope and more prospects .

Perhaps your MAT let you down?

If you have depression, please go and see your GP about it - it's a very serious issue.

Don't swap to medicine on a whim, if it's what you want to do then fine but as you applied for maths first, I don't think you're fully in it.

You can apply next year :smile: I'm not sure if either uni offers feedback but it would be worth trying to get some.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Perhaps your MAT let you down?

If you have depression, please go and see your GP about it - it's a very serious issue.

Don't swap to medicine on a whim, if it's what you want to do then fine but as you applied for maths first, I don't think you're fully in it.

You can apply next year :smile: I'm not sure if either uni offers feedback but it would be worth trying to get some.

Hi,thanks for your kind response.
I forgot to mention that I was invited to oxford for an interview which required me to stay there for 3 days at the campus .the rejection letter I received was after the interview.Im assuming I did ok in the MAT bearing in mind I was invited for an interview at Oxford.
The head of my year is trying to get free back from Oxford and Imperial as to why such a decision was made.
Because of this I'm really put off maths now ,I still can't believe that after getting 100 % in all th modules of the subject I wanted to do a degree in i couldnt get into a top university .

Would appreciate more feedback from all

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by pheam

Because of this I'm really put off maths now ,I still can't believe that after getting 100 % in all th modules of the subject I wanted to do a degree in i couldnt get into a top university.
Thanks

Don't you count Warwick as a top university for maths?
Original post by pheam
I forgot to mention that I was invited to oxford for an interview which required me to stay there for 3 days at the campus .the rejection letter I received was after the interview.Im assuming I did ok in the MAT bearing in mind I was invited for an interview at Oxford.
The head of my year is trying to get free back from Oxford and Imperial as to why such a decision was made.
Because of this I'm really put off maths now ,I still can't believe that after getting 100 % in all th modules of the subject I wanted to do a degree in i couldnt get into a top university .

Thanks

It's fantastic that you got the best possible result in your exams, so to me it would seem that something didn't go as well as it should have in the interview, and not sure about Imperial.

I think you have to be clear on your motivation for maths, I can understand why being rejected would put you off but you have to remind yourself of why you want to study Maths at university. If you can't think of the reasons then definitely don't do it, otherwise this should motivate you for reapplying.

Also as a Cambridge reject speaking, it's not the end of the world (even if you're from Asia, like I am :lol:) if you get rejected from Oxford example. There are plenty of other prestigious universities and you have 4 other choices to apply for so find other unis that you may be happy with in case you don't get in next year.
By the looks of it, it seems the personal statement put you off.
I'm not as academically bright as you but I still managed to recieved an offer from Imperial, so I'm quite sure that's the case.

In my opinion, I would take a gap year and take a 'breather', and comfortably take up an internship and read professional publications to add to your personal statement when reapplying. I'm trying not to over exaggerate but you really should be cautious about you're mental health considering how stressful your subjects, are and the pressure of expecations (I imagine).
Reply 6
Original post by RichE
Don't you count Warwick as a top university for maths?

Hi thanks for your response ,I'm sure Warwick is a very very good university but the top ones are Oxford and imperial.
Reply 7
Original post by Stoke123
I'm not as academically bright as you but I still managed to recieved an offer from Imperial, so I'm quite sure that's the case.

In my opinion, I would take a gap year and take a 'breather', and comfortably take up an internship and read professional publications to add to your personal statement when reapplying. I'm trying not to over exaggerate but you really should be cautious about you're mental health considering how stressful your subjects, are and the pressure of expecations (I imagine).

Hi thanks so so much for ur top advice ,i am going to think about what u have said very very carefully and make a decision as to whether I really do want to do maths or not and should I take a gap year and better my personal statement .i am awaiting feedback from imperial and Oxford ,then at least I will have some idea as to why I was rejected.once again thanku so much,kind regards
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
It's fantastic that you got the best possible result in your exams, so to me it would seem that something didn't go as well as it should have in the interview, and not sure about Imperial.

I think you have to be clear on your motivation for maths, I can understand why being rejected would put you off but you have to remind yourself of why you want to study Maths at university. If you can't think of the reasons then definitely don't do it, otherwise this should motivate you for reapplying.

Also as a Cambridge reject speaking, it's not the end of the world (even if you're from Asia, like I am :lol:) if you get rejected from Oxford example. There are plenty of other prestigious universities and you have 4 other choices to apply for so find other unis that you may be happy with in case you don't get in next year.

Thanks for ur reply ,yeh I have had offer s as mentioned from ucl,Bristol and Warwick but I really had my heart set on Oxford and imperial and was so confident wth the grades I got that I would get an offer from at least one of them .

Awaiting feedback from the two unis and then hopefully I can make a decision as to what I should do .would I take a gap year and better ur personal statement and do the same course or do biology next years and then do medicine ,I just so put off maths because of this and at least I can do medicine wth a clear mind and forget about imperial and Oxford .
Original post by Stoke123

Original post by pheam
Hi thanks so so much for ur top advice ,i am going to think about what u have said very very carefully and make a decision as to whether I really do want to do maths or not and should I take a gap year and better my personal statement .i am awaiting feedback from imperial and Oxford ,then at least I will have some idea as to why I was rejected.once again thanku so much,kind regards

Sorry to hear that, OP. I would doubt that it's the personal statement; the Maths Dept actually say that they don't really care about how it's written but more about what things you achieved (things like UKMT successes) and have done to show interest in the subject.
Reply 10
Original post by yl95
Sorry to hear that, OP. I would doubt that it's the personal statement; the Maths Dept actually say that they don't really care about how it's written but more about what things you achieved (things like UKMT successes) and have done to show interest in the subject.

Hi thanks for your input really appreciate it.

My personal statement clearly mentioned that i worked voluntarily to teach young children maths plus did to several activities related to maths too.its really confusing and mind baffling and I will only really know as to why when I finally get some feedback from Oxford and imperial.

Kind regards
Original post by pheam

Thanks

Wait to see what the feedback says, but it seems to be pointng towards your interview. If you are that committed then take a gap and reapply. QWork on your CV and interview. they obviously ha there reasons. perhaps your communication skills arent as developed as your maths.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Wait to see what the feedback says, but it seems to be pointng towards your interview. If you are that committed then take a gap and reapply. QWork on your CV and interview. they obviously ha there reasons. perhaps your communication skills arent as developed as your maths.

Imperial didn't call me for an interview. Thats why it is more confusing that it can't just be the interview.My personal statement was checked over by a few teachers before it was submitted .thanks for the ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated
Original post by pheam
Imperial didn't call me for an interview. Thats why it is more confusing that it can't just be the interview.My personal statement was checked over by a few teachers before it was submitted .thanks for the ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated

The they had their reason. Sometimes you just have to accept it was competitive and other people appealed more.

Just apply next year. Its not as bad as you think.
Reply 14
The they had their reason. Sometimes you just have to accept it was competitive and other people appealed more.

Lolz yeh I probably will do that ,I'm inclined to complete biology next year and that will give me 4 A levels )predicted A * , this will allow me to keep my options open .

Thanks
Original post by pheam

If i were you, i would have taken a gap year and go for medicine rather than something like maths...
Original post by pheam

Imperial don't do interviews for Maths.
Reply 17
Original post by yl95
Imperial don't do interviews for Maths.

Yup I'm aware of that .thanks
If you've not thought of it already, I missed my oxford offer (different subject) as an undergrad but went to Manchester and have since got a cambridge postgrad offer. Sure you'll have just as fab a time at your second choice (I definitely did) but if you still want the oxford experience later on, could be a good option to take a master's?
Try STEP during your gap years. It'll mean a lot to you if you'd like to study maths

Quick Reply

Latest