Lone parent and student- housing benefit entitlement?

Watch
Saz2017ox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone know if I would be entitled to housing benefit or in a similar situation who could tell me how much they get?
I am starting a degree in September, I am a lone parent. My rent is £98 per week.
My student finance works out as;
Maintenance loan - £3928
Higher maintenance loan - £5762
Parent learning allowance - £1617 split over 45 weeks.
I will also be entitled to child tax and child benefit..
Does anyone know how likely/how much housing benefit I could/ will receive?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is any of the maintenance loan the special support element? This is ignored in full for benefits. Some of the maintenance loan is ignored for books and travel.

It's not possible to say whether you'll get any housing benefit. It's based on the local housing housing (LHA) rate rather than what you actually pay.
Noooooor123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The same looking for answers
keirshunt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am a single parent and I get housing benefit. It's a bit of a faff trying to get it, but keep going (they underpaid me £1000 last year but someone on the ball realised and I did get backpayment). I didn't realise I could get anything at the start and just so happened to speak with a guy at the council who was sooooo on my side about me applying! I had to appeal (not because you aren't entitled but because someone decided to close my claim down instead of actually working it out which was annoying). Anyway, it all got sorted in the end.

I also get child tax credit (£65 a week) and child benefit (£20 or something like that)

My rent is around £95 and I have to pay £16 and the rest is covered by housing benefit

I have a letter which I have to give to the council and on it it says how much is ignored for housing benefit purposes (I think it's about £3500 but not 100%).

I know in our area you can't apply for a new claim to housing benefit anymore but I was already getting in when I was a student. It has to be universal credit.

It's definitely worth applying for, they can only say no

Susan
Kefte
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are no new claims for housing benefit, it would be universal credit.
Noooooor123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends upon your address they apply Universal Credit or claiming Housing b directly
Clair peace
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do any single parents have a live universal credit claim how has it been calculated. I have applied as a single parent - but they have calculated it and I have no entitlement, yet can’t give me a breakdown of how this has been done. It was my understanding that I would get some sort of payment. I have also now lost my child tax credit payment ?
Whewell13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I spoke to a lady regarding universal credit and becoming a student in September. They explained that they add the maintenance loan and grant together, take 110 off. Then they divide the amount Into 9 months. They then take the balance of your UC credit amount each month. Depending on your circumstances and award. The amount you could get could be Zero.
Dianayip
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Search
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (9)
12.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.71%
I need help with my personal statement (29)
41.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25.71%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed