The Student Room Group

Foreign National with Indefinite Leave to Remain - how to claim? (residency issues)

I have asked a similar question before, but the answer seemed too good to be true.

I will try to make it brief and short and stick to the points, if anyone understands these issues please answer.

I am a foreign non-EU national, I have had a settled status for around 10 years (indefinite leave to remain) and I'm in mid 20's. For the last 3-4 years I haven't worked, went to school anywhere etc. (no proof of residence of any kind). Stayed at home all the time and live with parents(maybe council tax is the only thing that has my name on it). Started studying A-levels by myself around 2 years ago, and will sit the exams this summer, after which I am planning to work for a year and go to uni next year.

Basically that's my situation in a nutshell. Some of the questions I have.

1. How do I prove my residency status, as I don't believe there is a way.
2. There is a tuition fee loan, and maintenance loan, I am confused as to what proof you need for what. Do I still need residency proof for the tuition fee loan, as I've read from some people that it is not the case.
3. Someone told me that council tax with my name on it will be enough, but I doubt that is the case (too little evidence, as I could have been out of the country while the tax is being paid).
4. I have heard this issue is sadly specifically more difficult to people of Bulgarian and Romanian origin, does me having an ILR makes it any easier?

How should I go on about this, do you have any advice who actually understands all these things?

(if you may don't direct me to call student finance, one of them will say one thing, the other person will say another. Even if they say it is "enough", later they will say its not and ask for more, that's what I've read from people posting on thestudentroom. Really just want advice from someone who actually understands my situation)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending