The Student Room Group

Having a 'Mare! Nutrition or Dietetics, need help/ lost

Right so basically I'm currently in my first year of a 3 year BSc Nutrition degree, only it isn't actually registered by the board of Nutrition!

Lately I've been having second thoughts regarding this degree, as in is it even worth it? It's not registered although I guess I could go through a process via work experience to obtain that registration after I've got my degree, which is a shame as the majority of courses are registered.

With this in mind, I'm not sure about my options. I've been looking at future prospects and everything in this realm of science seems to favour the dietitian over the nutritionist, so what I'm getting at is... Should I change my course to dietetics? Is this possible?

Bit lost atm, any help would be massively appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
You may not be able to just change courses. You most likely will have to reapply and start again. I think you need to consider what you would like to do in the future and do some research about jobs. Then make up your mind about which course you would like to do and go from there.
Right. I've been reading you can only work in the hospital setting with a dietetics degree. Is there no way I could just do a dietetics postgrad using my nutrition degree as a foundation, as they're so similar?
I think the bit you're missing is accreditation. You need to spend some time working on what career paths are available to you and what jobs you can do with what degrees. Good luck!
Just to rub it in, my course isn't even accredited and they said they hope it will be before we finish... doesn't sound to promising. Although I'm assuming I can get registered via work experience.

Secondly, in terms of where I want to be in future. In an ideal world, it'd be opening up my own "holistic practice" based primarily around Nutrition. Just the fact that that is such a long off goal, and dietetic jobs are seemingly in abundance with the NHS, feel like obtaining that long term goal would probably have been easier in hindsight if I got a degree in dietetics (uni -> nhs -> open private practice)

Anyone clear any of this up for me? As all-over-the-shop as it sounds hahaha

edit: thanks for the replies alleycat393! you the boss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending