The Student Room Group

Interracial relationships among South Asians

Hey,

I'm really curious to know if there are any South Asians here who have been or are in an interracial relationship. What are some of the obstacles you guys have faced regarding your relationship? I'm also interested in hearing from people who have been/are in relationships with South Asians.

My sister (South Asian) is living with her boyfriend (Hispanic) and she's constantly being pressured by my parents to get married to him. So this made me wonder if other South Asians have also faced similar issues.
Original post by kittylover14
Hey,

I'm really curious to know if there are any South Asians here who have been or are in an interracial relationship. What are some of the obstacles you guys have faced regarding your relationship? I'm also interested in hearing from people who have been/are in relationships with South Asians.

My sister (South Asian) is living with her boyfriend (Hispanic) and she's constantly being pressured by my parents to get married to him. So this made me wonder if other South Asians have also faced similar issues.

My south Asian ex girlfriend's parents never knew that I existed :hide:
Was in one.

Depends on the parents and that is independent amongst every South Asian household, but what I've seen commonly is that they would be unhappy about it. This was in my case anyway, but I still went on with it and if it works it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

There can be a lot of convincing to do, depending on the parents
Hey,

I was in a few but only one long term one that was on and off for around 3 years. Her mum wasn't into the idea of her dating a south Asian and my mum wasn't into the idea of me going around with a white girl, purely cause they both thought we would be bad for each other. But regardless of what we used to disagree on she was very understanding about why I thought the way I did due where I'm from and what I believe in and I'd like to think I was too. I was only 17 so the prospect of marriage was nonexistent to me then, whether it was forced or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
My south Asian ex girlfriend's parents never knew that I existed :hide:

Do you mind if I ask what yours and your ex's ethnicities are? And what her religion is and whether she and her family practice it?

Because based on experiences of my friends and acquaintances, I've noticed that there are certain ethnicities that the parents are strongly against. And also, the religion they practice and its importance in their upbringing tends to impact whether or not they hide the relationship from their parents.

The South Asian people I do know who are in interracial relationships and who've told their parents about it have had a very liberal upbringing. So they weren't really religious..
Reply 5
Original post by DemBoiPaigon
I was in a few but only one long term one that was on and off for around 3 years. Her mum wasn't into the idea of her dating a south Asian and my mum wasn't into the idea of me going around with a white girl, purely cause they both thought we would be bad for each other. But regardless of what we used to disagree on she was very understanding about why I thought the way I did due where I'm from and what I believe in and I'd like to think I was too. I was only 17 so the prospect of marriage was nonexistent to me then, whether it was forced or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh that's interesting. Do you think that because you were teenagers, your mom wasn't worried that the relationship wouldn't be too serious and get to a point where marriage would be considered? She must have assumed it wouldn't last seeing as how you guys were on and off.

I find that South Asian guys are less pressured into getting married when they are in a committed relationship with someone from a different ethnicity. For the girls, it's a different story.

A friend of mine has been dating her boyfriend for 4 years and is going to move in together with him but they have no intention of ever getting married. While her mom is really chill about everything, she found out that her mom expects her to marry him somewhere down the line. She even jokingly threatened to cut off all ties with her if she didn't. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Stickman
Was in one.

Depends on the parents and that is independent amongst every South Asian household, but what I've seen commonly is that they would be unhappy about it. This was in my case anyway, but I still went on with it and if it works it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

There can be a lot of convincing to do, depending on the parents

In your personal case, did you find out why they were unhappy about it? Like was it your ethnicity, religion, or both that was the issue?

As you've mentioned, it varies in the household. I find that some are ok about it as long as the religion is the same. Others just want them to share the same ethnicity and don't mind the difference in religion but those are the ones who don't really practice theirs in the first place. And then you have the ones who want their kids to be with someone who shares the same ethnicity and religion because they think it will be less complicated when they get married and have kids of their own.
Ohh that's interesting. Do you think that because you were teenagers, your mom wasn't worried that the relationship wouldn't be too serious and get to a point where marriage would be considered? She must have assumed it wouldn't last seeing as how you guys were on and off.

I find that South Asian guys are less pressured into getting married when they are in a committed relationship with someone from a different ethnicity. For the girls, it's a different story.

A friend of mine has been dating her boyfriend for 4 years and is going to move in together with him but they have no intention of ever getting married. While her mom is really chill about everything, she found out that her mom expects her to marry him somewhere down the line. She even jokingly threatened to cut off all ties with her if she didn't. :s-smilie:

To be honest, her mum would have came round, infact she was coming round to it, but we had practically ended. It's my parents who wouldn't have, there's already a marriage between a south Asian girl (my sister) and white guy in my house hold and my mum & dad aren't happy, so I couldn't do that to them again. I genuinely don't mind what race I marry into, I'm not attracted to some types of ethnicities, but other than that I'm open minded, but for my parents I couldn't do what my sister did since they're unhappy till this day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never been in a relationship with a guy of the same ethnicity as me funnily enough but I don't mind. I have a thing for white guys :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by DemBoiPaigon
To be honest, her mum would have came round, infact she was coming round to it, but we had practically ended. It's my parents who wouldn't have, there's already a marriage between a south Asian girl (my sister) and white guy in my house hold and my mum & dad aren't happy, so I couldn't do that to them again. I genuinely don't mind what race I marry into, I'm not attracted to some types of ethnicities, but other than that I'm open minded, but for my parents I couldn't do what my sister did since they're unhappy till this day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask which country in South Asia you and your sister are from? And what religion you practice? Also, if your parents gave you guys a religious upbringing?

How long has your sister been married and how long did she date the guy? Did your parents say exactly why they aren't happy with her marriage? (different religion and/or culture).

Sorry for all the questions but I had a theory that South Asian girls' relationships are only acceptable for their parents if it ends in marriage and your sister's situation completely disproved it.
Can I ask which country in South Asia you and your sister are from? And what religion you practice? Also, if your parents gave you guys a religious upbringing?

How long has your sister been married and how long did she date the guy? Did your parents say exactly why they aren't happy with her marriage? (different religion and/or culture).

Sorry for all the questions but I had a theory that South Asian girls' relationships are only acceptable for their parents if it ends in marriage and your sister's situation completely disproved it.

Well my mums born here and my dad was born in Pakistan. But yeah ethnicity wise we are Pakistani. I'd like to say I practice Islam but that would be a massive joke, I'm far from religious and I'm not proud to admit that. My parents did give us a religious upbringing and still try to, a few members of my family are much more religious, but it's me and my sister who tend to rebel against the rules.

She's been married I think for about 3 years and did date him before hand for a few too. My parents didn't really give a solid reason but I'm 90% sure it was because they didn't want a white member of the family, and second of all because they have very high standards for their children, it's almost impossible to find someone that will make them happy.

It's ok, u can ask as many questions as you like. Unfortunately I can't disclose as much as I'd like to since we're on a public forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending