The Student Room Group

Parents should be strict about what time their children come home.

What do you think about?
My parents were pretty strict about what time I should get home when I was younger, I'd be grounded even if I was only a couple minutes late, now they aren't as strict but I also don't really go out that much anyway. But it really helped teach me about the importance of being on time and I always make sure I'm 15 minutes early for anything now.
Original post by josejuan

What do you think about?

up to a point kids under the age of 16 should have a time they need to be at home by but if they are delayed as long as they call it should be fine 16+ they should have more freedom but still let their parents know what time they expect to be home up until 18 or they are at uni.
Parents should set boundaries to an extent but also be flexible. I didn't really start going out till I was 18 but as long as I told my parents where I was going and what time I'd roughly be back, they'd always be okay.
Reply 4
Original post by Ellie419
My parents were pretty strict about what time I should get home when I was younger, I'd be grounded even if I was only a couple minutes late, now they aren't as strict but I also don't really go out that much anyway. But it really helped teach me about the importance of being on time and I always make sure I'm 15 minutes early for anything now.

The Importance of Being on Time.

“The habit of being prompt once formed extends to everything meeting friends, paying debts, going to church, reaching and leaving place of business, keeping promises, retiring at night and rising in the morning, going to the lecture and town-meeting, and, indeed, to every relation and act, however trivial it may seem to observers.” –William Makepeace Thayer, Tact and Grit, 1882

“I have always been a quarter of an hour before my time, and it has made a man of me.” -Horatio, Lord Nelson

What do you think about?

Not when their kids are 16+!
I'm 17, and my mum goes ballistic if I'm not home by3:30 on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays, 4:30 on Tuesday and 5:30 on Wednesday!
I've told her that I do martial arts, so I know how to protect myself!
Reply 6

What do you think about?

It was when the street lights came on I had to come home from the park. But if I was at a friends house I could stay later. But I think parents should. You see youths out at silly times, and I am thinking, don't their parents care. It's going to ruin the kids routine if it had one. Just seems parents want the easy and hassle free child upbringing techniques, which results in having no control over their children.
Reply 7
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
Not when their kids are 16+!
I'm 17, and my mum goes ballistic if I'm not home by3:30 on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays, 4:30 on Tuesday and 5:30 on Wednesday!
I've told her that I do martial arts, so I know how to protect myself!

Your mother knows you very well.

Have you thought that something will be?

What do you think about?

I think parents should be strict with curfew. I'm 19 right now and I barely go out. It reduces chances of the child getting hurt or involved in something serious. Your parents will ease up when they begin to trust you and it's a great feeling when you know you've earned that. When I finished high school at 16, my parents trusted me so much that I could go wherever I wanted and whenever, given that someone picks me up and return me home, but I didn't abuse it. I barely used it.

Also it teaches you the importance of punctuality. That'll help you later in life trust me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Big_Jon
It was when the street lights came on I had to come home from the park. But if I was at a friends house I could stay later. But I think parents should. You see youths out at silly times, and I am thinking, don't their parents care. It's going to ruin the kids routine if it had one. Just seems parents want the easy and hassle free child upbringing techniques, which results in having no control over their children.

Parents should inculcate habits.

Maybe someday you'll understand.
Reply 10
Original post by Second_Beauty
I think parents should be strict with curfew. I'm 19 right now and I barely go out. It reduces chances of the child getting hurt or involved in something serious. Your parents will ease up when they begin to trust you and it's a great feeling when you know you've earned that. When I finished high school at 16, my parents trusted me so much that I could go wherever I wanted and whenever, given that someone picks me up and return me home, but I didn't abuse it. I barely used it.

Also it teaches you the importance of punctuality. That'll help you later in life trust me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree with you
My v simple Asian logic is that parents that set "curfews" = relatively strict = children are probs more responsible = children who wouldn't **** about even if they did come home late thus don't really need curfews. Simple and very flawed logic, but that's how I see it.
Reply 12
Original post by prazzyjazzy
My v simple Asian logic is that parents that set "curfews" = relatively strict = children are probs more responsible = children who wouldn't **** about even if they did come home late thus don't really need curfews. Simple and very flawed logic, but that's how I see it.

Me too.

What do you think about?

This depends on the ages of the children.
I agree that Children aged between 12 -17 should have strict time rules.
Children 12 or below should not go out without parental supervision.
Reply 14
Original post by AB710344
This depends on the ages of the children.
I agree that Children aged between 12 -17 should have strict time rules.
Children 12 or below should not go out without parental supervision.

I agree with you.

What do you think about?

Yeah I think they should because sometimes it depends on the childs maturity.
Reply 16
I've never had curfews, when I was like 14 I could come at 1-2 am and my parents wouldn't say anything. I don't remember having much rules at all. I definitely wouldn't do that with my kids, I used to abuse my freedom but around 16 I developed a lot of self discipline

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending