The Student Room Group

Is it immoral to not respect your parent(s)? Do you respect yours?

Hello everyone,

So yes as the title says. Is not respecting your mother or father immoral in your opinion? Does it depend on the parent? Or do parents deserve a level of respect automatically? How would you describe the respect level you have to your parents?

Now I would say the overall level of respect I have towards my parents is very low.

My Father: The respect is non existent. He has just never been there in my life, missed out on my childhood. I can say I have no respect for him really honestly.

My Mother: Some respect although not tons. I have a degree of respect for her since she did raise me, he has fulfilled her role as a mother in the sense that she made sure I had 3 meals a day, clean clothes etc. However, emotionally she has really lacked over the years. She was aggressive, had many emotional outburts which really affected me, would make nasty remarks towards me, and at times I was her punchbag (emotionally not physically). Her attitude and how she emotionally treated me over the years really has affected me growing up, but she will never admit to it. So from this I can conclude that I don't have that much respect for my Mother.

In your opinion are my feelings justified or not? How would you describe your level of respect to your parents, and why?

Thanks guys!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am interested in different opinions as long as we don't get rude or personal with it! No insulting anyone please.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello everyone,

So yes as the title says. Is not respecting your mother or father immoral in your opinion? Does it depend on the parent? Or do parents deserve a level of respect automatically? How would you describe the respect level you have to your parents?

Now I would say the overall level of respect I have towards my parents is very low.

My Father: The respect is non existent. He has just never been there in my life, missed out on my childhood. I can say I have no respect for him really honestly.

My Mother: Some respect although not tons. I have a degree of respect for her since she did raise me, he has fulfilled her role as a mother in the sense that she made sure I had 3 meals a day, clean clothes etc. However, emotionally she has really lacked over the years. She was aggressive, had many emotional outburts which really affected me, would make nasty remarks towards me, and at times I was her punchbag (emotionally not physically). Her attitude and how she emotionally treated me over the years really has affected me growing up, but she will never admit to it. So from this I can conclude that I don't have that much respect for my Mother.

In your opinion are my feelings justified or not? How would you describe your level of respect to your parents, and why?

Thanks guys!

We can never pay back for the sacrifices of a mother for the nine months that she carried us. She sacrificed her blood and heartbeat to support us live.
Original post by AB710344
We can never pay back for the sacrifices of a mother for the nine months that she carried us. She sacrificed her blood and heartbeat to support us live.

Just a hypothetical: what if she was an alcoholic who frequently tried to kill you? What I mean is does the fact that "she carried you for 9 months" trump any and all negatives?
Original post by DogeOfDisaproval
Just a hypothetical: what if she was an alcoholic who frequently tried to kill you? What I mean is does the fact that "she carried you for 9 months" trump any and all negatives?

Very Hypothetical but take her to see a doctor. A PSYCHIATRIST. SHE MAY BE ILL.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello everyone,

Thanks guys!

Who looked after you from age 0 - 12 years.
Food, clothes, sleep, illness, education, cleanliness?
No, it's not immoral. I don't have an awful lot of respect for my parents-- not to say that I don't appreciate the things they've done for me because I most certainly do.
Original post by prazzyjazzy
No, it's not immoral. I don't have an awful lot of respect for my parents-- not to say that I don't appreciate the things they've done for me because I most certainly do.

To appreciate the things your parents did for you, you need to have respect for them. This particularly applies to your mother.
To appreciate the things your parents did for you, you need to have respect for them. This particularly applies to your mother.

Noooooo, not really. Where did you get that idea from???
Original post by prazzyjazzy
Noooooo, not really. Where did you get that idea from???

I am a doctor
Read foetal circulation.
How mother supplies her blood and keeps you alive for nine months.
Personally I think respect is earned in ALL cases regardless of blood ties. I do not respect my parents just by virtue of them being my parents, and I think it's absolutely fine not to respect your parents in certain circumstances. I also think the argument of 'your mum carried you and your parents looked after you' is a totally bizarre one, they CHOSE to have you, carrying out basic parental duties when you've decided to have a child is not something that garners respect, it's the absolute bare minimum you ought to do if you've decided to become a parent.
Original post by infairverona
Personally I think respect is earned in ALL cases regardless of blood ties. I do not respect my parents just by virtue of them being my parents, and I think it's absolutely fine not to respect your parents in certain circumstances. I also think the argument of 'your mum carried you and your parents looked after you' is a totally bizarre one, they CHOSE to have you, carrying out basic parental duties when you've decided to have a child is not something that garners respect, it's the absolute bare minimum you ought to do if you've decided to become a parent.

You can better understand this logic when you have your own children.
I am a doctor
Read foetal circulation.
How mother supplies her blood and keeps you alive for nine months.

I...jfc.....:colonhash:
You can better understand this logic when you have your own children.

You shouldn't have to experience something to be able to understand it. What if I don't ever want to have children? My parents don't expect me to respect them simply by virtue of them doing the basic things a parent should do. Doing the bare minimum does not command respect. If you don't want to look after your child, don't have it and keep it. You don't get to demand that your child is grateful to you for washing it and taking it to school, this attitude is prevalent in certain cultures and I think it's completely illogical to say 'I CHOSE to have you and I've looked after you, be grateful to me for it' if you didn't want to do it nobody made you. To demand that your child will respect you and be grateful for you doing what you're meant to do as a parent is so obnoxious, do you demand that your boss is grateful when you do the bare minimum in your job?
Sometimes I don't really respect them, but I suppose that parents can piss their kids off sometimes.
Original post by infairverona
You shouldn't have to experience something to be able to understand it. What if I don't ever want to have children? My parents don't expect me to respect them simply by virtue of them doing the basic things a parent should do. Doing the bare minimum does not command respect. If you don't want to look after your child, don't have it and keep it. You don't get to demand that your child is grateful to you for washing it and taking it to school, this attitude is prevalent in certain cultures and I think it's completely illogical to say 'I CHOSE to have you and I've looked after you, be grateful to me for it' if you didn't want to do it nobody made you. To demand that your child will respect you and be grateful for you doing what you're meant to do as a parent is so obnoxious, do you demand that your boss is grateful when you do the bare minimum in your job?

You don't trust me
Listen to this guy.

https://www.facebook.com/bhatti.mh/posts/10210707796625513
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
Sometimes I don't really respect them, but I suppose that parents can piss their kids off sometimes.

Listen to him.

https://www.facebook.com/bhatti.mh/posts/10210707796625513
I feel it's immoral. It's a different case when your parents did nothing to support you, however I just can't fathom not holding any form of respect for my parents.
You ask a question:
Do you respect yours.

The answer is YES.

If you ask why?
Then the answer is because I would not be here without them.

I hope you understand the logic.
Depends on the personal situation and everyone's will different.

But assuming that both are 'there for you', forgive all the mistakes up make in life, try their utmost to provide you with the resources needed to make a good life for yourself, ten why shouldn't there be automatic respect?

They are your elders. The one most close to you; adults who you are able to speak to about virtually anything. They are supportive, kind and always on your side. Ofc some people aren't lucky enough to experience a high-quality of family life but a the end of the day, they has spent more thousands just to bring you up, when they could've either not had you or not provide you wih such facilities.
Your mother has went through 9 months of excruciating torture, a near-death feeling that is unexplainable to someone who hasn't been through it, to have YOU in their lives, and as soon as you were born, you became the #1 priority for the rest of their lives.

We may forget how lucky we are that we even exist because of them. In Islam, there's a common saying: "Heaven lies at the feet of your mother". You could go and look at the soles of mummy's feet but while you may not find fortunes down there, that position is perfectly representative of how we should be to our parents - their servants, especially in their old age. You have to repay the time they spent bringing you up by taking care of them and giving them the most ease during the latter part of their lives, where they'll become similarly dependent upon ou as you were on them an eternity ago.

Don't just treat Mum this Mothers Day with a tacky gift, flowers and some unhealthy choc - rather, remember that they both deserve our utmost respect 24/7, 365.25 :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply