The Student Room Group

Redox reactions PLEASE help.

I'm basically stuck in the reaction Cl2 + H20 --->NaCl + NaOCl + H20 I am unsure as to whether it is a redox reaction or not. i know that one Cl is reduced as it goes from 0 to - 1, and another Cl is oxidised as it goes from 0 to +1. however do they have to be different elements for it to be redox or not?
thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Jollyjules1320
I'm basically stuck in the reaction Cl2 + H20 --->NaCl + NaOCl + H20 I am unsure as to whether it is a redox reaction or not. i know that one Cl is reduced as it goes from 0 to - 1, and another Cl is oxidised as it goes from 0 to +1. however do they have to be different elements for it to be redox or not?
thank you.

this is disproportionation reaction not redox because redox reaction is when two different elements get oxidized and reduced. A disproportionation reaction is one in which a single substance is both oxidised and reduced :smile:
Original post by sayema1
this is disproportionation reaction not redox because redox reaction is when two different elements get oxidized and reduced. A disproportionation reaction is one in which a single substance is both oxidised and reduced :smile:

ahh thank you so much
thank you.

I think the reaction you're looking for is Cl2+ 2NaOH ->NaCl + NaClO + H2O. Its a disproportionation reaction, not redox as explained by sayema1
Original post by an_atheist
I think the reaction you're looking for is Cl2+ 2NaOH ->NaCl + NaClO + H2O. Its a disproportionation reaction, not redox as explained by sayema1

oh gosh yeah! I've just noticed my typing mistake, thank you!
Reply 5
ahh thank you so much

yr welcome 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest