Swansea University - Software Engineering - General

Watch
Varnas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have recently received an offer to study at Swansea University. The offer itself is really easy to fulfill, but that is exactly what frightens me. I am using The Guardian University Listing as my main identifier for university rankings. As Swansea is rather low (39) in the 2017 overall table, but Surprisingly 5th in the Computer Science field I am confused: How can a University be low in the overall table, offer really low entry requirements, provide the offer at incredible speeds (relative to other Uni's) but still maintain 5th position in the CS field? I am beggining to question the Entire university and maybe even the surrounding areas. Why would people not come here to study, flock if I may, if it is so easy to get in? Can someone explain this too me?
George211197
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Varnas)
I have recently received an offer to study at Swansea University. The offer itself is really easy to fulfill, but that is exactly what frightens me. I am using The Guardian University Listing as my main identifier for university rankings. As Swansea is rather low (39) in the 2017 overall table, but Surprisingly 5th in the Computer Science field I am confused: How can a University be low in the overall table, offer really low entry requirements, provide the offer at incredible speeds (relative to other Uni's) but still maintain 5th position in the CS field? I am beggining to question the Entire university and maybe even the surrounding areas. Why would people not come here to study, flock if I may, if it is so easy to get in? Can someone explain this too me?
Uni's excel and fail in certain areas, even places like oxford and cambridge fail on the social aspects.
The social aspect of Swansea is actually quite nice with good local clubs, a lot of societies, a nice beach and generally a nice vibe.
Accommodation wise it's a bit of a mixed bag. In the Student village accommodation is terrible, In my opinion it's better to go private than the student village. On the main campus accommodation is nice enough and is reasonably priced. On bay campus it's very nice, although expensive. Private accommodation usually isn't too bad and obviously you will be spending the majority of time in private accommodation.
Unlike a sixth-form or school the departments have far more control over their resources and so the quality of education will vary a lot more throughout a university than earlier education institutes. From friends that study computer science they are generally happy with the teaching so the course will probably be fine.
Just to add Swansea is currently building a new computational foundry which is likely to improve the computer sciences course and is set to be ready for the start of your second year.
0xFFFFail
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look at more than one rankings list such as completeuniversityguide.co.uk for a more accurate ranking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise