The Student Room Group

Likelihood of Being Allowed To Switch Courses At Cambridge - A Drastic Course Change?

Hi,

So I am looking to get into Cambridge to study economics for degree level. I am currently studying the following for A - Level:
Maths
Economics
History

I am working towards receiving A* A* A in my A-Levels with one of them bering in Mathematics and have read several books on Economics, with Flashboys being one of my favourites.

However, I am enquiring to see as to the possibility of Cambridge allowing me to switch courses at degree level. This is because i am worried that as I have studied Economics at A-Level, I may not find it stimulating at degree level, leading me to feel dissatisfied with the course, if I feel dissatisfied I often move on, or low my way through it, the latter for me will affect my wellbeing negotiably at university in my opinion. The only other course that I am interested in is Computer Science - what is the possibility of a college ( let's say Corpus for purposes sake) allowing me to switch courses?

I know it's a drastic change and I have not done Further Maths, but I am definitely intrigued in Computer Science so much so that I have been taking a handful of courses of Udemy. I also am looking to read some books to further my understanding, but still wanting to study economics at Cambridge.

Please advise on the likeliness of being allowed to switch courses as drastic as this and whether Cambridge would allow me to do so just in case i become dissatisfied with Economics if it does not stimulate me. The reason I am only stimulated by Computer Science instead of Economics is because it is, like Economics relevant to where I need to go, which is to create a technological startup.

Please Advise,
Many Thanks,

P.S. I have not done Computer Science nor Economics at GCSE. And at GCSE I received 9 A's and 4 A*'s.
Reply 1
From what I recall you need approval by both DoS'es: current subject and the one you want to transfer to, so I wouldn't expect it to be different for each college...but nobody allows transfers in the first year.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2342608 not quite on your question, but makes a point on that too.
Unlikely; you don't have the ideal A-level subjects - Further Maths and a physical science are usually preferred - and your grades (4 A* GCSE, working towards A*A*A at A-level) are marginal in the context of Comp Sci which is not only very competitive to get in, but is regarded as one of the hardest courses to do well in once you're there too.
if you won't find Cambridge stimulating then I doubt you'll find much else stimulating. Even if you've learnt some of it at a level, it will only be a proportion of what you learn in your first year of a degree. And considering the amount piled on at Oxbridge you'll know even less. If you enjoy economics then stick it out. If you're a die hard Oxbridge wanna be stuck it out. If you're fixed on compsci I think your best bet would be another uni through clearing or gap year and reapply to cambridge
Reply 4
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Hi,

So I am looking to get into Cambridge to study economics for degree level. I am currently studying the following for A - Level:
Maths
Economics
History

I am working towards receiving A* A* A in my A-Levels with one of them bering in Mathematics and have read several books on Economics, with Flashboys being one of my favourites.

However, I am enquiring to see as to the possibility of Cambridge allowing me to switch courses at degree level. This is because i am worried that as I have studied Economics at A-Level, I may not find it stimulating at degree level, leading me to feel dissatisfied with the course, if I feel dissatisfied I often move on, or low my way through it, the latter for me will affect my wellbeing negotiably at university in my opinion. The only other course that I am interested in is Computer Science - what is the possibility of a college ( let's say Corpus for purposes sake) allowing me to switch courses?

I know it's a drastic change and I have not done Further Maths, but I am definitely intrigued in Computer Science so much so that I have been taking a handful of courses of Udemy. I also am looking to read some books to further my understanding, but still wanting to study economics at Cambridge.

Please advise on the likeliness of being allowed to switch courses as drastic as this and whether Cambridge would allow me to do so just in case i become dissatisfied with Economics if it does not stimulate me. The reason I am only stimulated by Computer Science instead of Economics is because it is, like Economics relevant to where I need to go, which is to create a technological startup.

Please Advise,
Many Thanks,

P.S. I have not done Computer Science nor Economics at GCSE. And at GCSE I received 9 A's and 4 A*'s.

The Tripos system makes it not uncommon to change courses, usually after Part I.
http://www.camdata.admin.cam.ac.uk/structure-undergraduate-courses-cambridge

But you should fundamentally apply to the course that you are currently most interested in.

You don't *need* FM for either CompSci or Economics. Although it is useful for both.

And I can guarantee that degree level economics at Cambridge will be very different to your A-level.

Edit to add: and your A-levels seem more appropriate for Economics than CompSci.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Forecast
Unlikely; you don't have the ideal A-level subjects - Further Maths and a physical science are usually preferred - and your grades (4 A* GCSE, working towards A*A*A at A-level) are marginal in the context of Comp Sci which is not only very competitive to get in, but is regarded as one of the hardest courses to do well in once you're there too.

Economics and CompSci are equally competitive. 14% acceptance success rate for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
The Tripos system makes it not uncommon to change courses, usually after Part I.
http://www.camdata.admin.cam.ac.uk/structure-undergraduate-courses-cambridge

But you should fundamentally apply to the course that you are currently most interested in.

You don't *need* FM for either CompSci or Economics. Although it is useful for both.

And I can guarantee that degree level economics at Cambridge will be very different to your A-level.

Edit to add: and your A-levels seem more appropriate for Economics than CompSci.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for helping! If you attended Cambridge, which Cambridge college did you go to? And do you have any personal or friends experiences of this?

Thanks!
Reply 7
Thank you so much for helping! If you attended Cambridge, which Cambridge college did you go to? And do you have any personal or friends experiences of this?

Thanks!

No problem. :smile: No, I didn't go to Cambridge but I know people who did/do...

Tagging @Reality Check for his experience of changing Tripos.
Hi,

Maths
Economics
History

Please Advise,
Many Thanks,

@Doonesbury - Thanks :smile:

OP - the tripos system allows for changes in tripos - as Doonesbury says, this would usually be at the end of a part. Economics has a two-year Part II, which is ideal for the purposes of transferring - you'd do Part I Economics, then go on to the CompSci course - this has recently changed, and the first year is either 50% CompSci and 25% maths, or 50% and 50%. You can read more about the routes into it here:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/course/

Immediately, this throws up an issue of funding - the minimum you'd need is four years (1 Economics plus 3 CompSci) and if you wanted to do Part III compsci you'd need 5 years funding.

More problematic to my mind is what you want to transfer from and to. It would be relatively common to move from doing some CompSci as part of Natural Sciences to doing the CompSci tripos, or maybe a similar move from Maths, but moving from Economics would be a bit odd. I think most Compsci students would have done Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science (variably) and possibly have STEP maths (@Doonesbury is this right?) - so your single maths A level that you'd be bringing is probably not enough of a basis for the DoS to agree to the transfer.

Overall, I'd say it's possible, but not very likely that this transfer would be accepted. I think you'd be better off making a firm decision as to what you want to read at University and then working towards entry for that subject alone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
@Doonesbury - Thanks :smile:

OP - the tripos system allows for changes in tripos - as Doonesbury says, this would usually be at the end of a part. Economics has a two-year Part II, which is ideal for the purposes of transferring - you'd do Part I Economics, then go on to the CompSci course - this has recently changed, and the first year is either 50% CompSci and 25% maths, or 50% and 50%. You can read more about the routes into it here:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/course/

Immediately, this throws up an issue of funding - the minimum you'd need is four years (1 Economics plus 3 CompSci) and if you wanted to do Part III compsci you'd need 5 years funding.

More problematic to my mind is what you want to transfer from and to. It would be relatively common to move from doing some CompSci as part of Natural Sciences to doing the CompSci tripos, or maybe a similar move from Maths, but moving from Economics would be a bit odd. I think most Compsci students would have done Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science (variably) and possibly have STEP maths (@Doonesbury is this right?) - so your single maths A level that you'd be bringing is probably not enough of a basis for the DoS to agree to the transfer.

Overall, I'd say it's possible, but not very likely that this transfer would be accepted. I think you'd be better off making a firm decision as to what you want to read at University and then working towards entry for that subject alone.

STEP is only required if they do the Part I "with Maths" option.

The lack of FM is also an issue for Economics (as well as CompSci), but might not be insurmountable for either.

I *think* funding might be OK as you get a gift year but Cambridge/SFE may need to confirm.

But I 100% agree that the best route is to pick a course at the outset, probably Economics in the OPs case, and completely commit to it.

Oh and one of the ATs will be hosting an AMA thread sometime before the next Admissions round starts, so OP can ask a proper expert when that appears :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
STEP is only required if they do the Part I "with Maths" option.

The lack of FM is also an issue for Economics (as well as CompSci), but might not be insurmountable for either.

I *think* funding might be OK as you get a gift year but Cambridge/SFE may need to confirm.

But I 100% agree that the best route is to pick a course at the outset, probably Economics in the OPs case, and completely commit to it.

Oh and one of the ATs will be hosting an AMA thread sometime before the next Admissions round starts, so OP can ask a proper expert when that appears :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agreed.

OP - it's very much a good idea to ask this question in the AT AMA - just the sort of thing they're happy answering.
Original post by Reality Check
Totally agreed.

OP - it's very much a good idea to ask this question in the AT AMA - just the sort of thing they're happy answering.

Hi, thanks for replying! I understand now it'd be best to apply for economics and stay on the course. Just to enquire - what is the AT AMA?

Thanks!
Reply 12
Hi, thanks for replying! I understand now it'd be best to apply for economics and stay on the course. Just to enquire - what is the AT AMA?

Thanks!

Admissions Tutor - Ask Me Anything

TSR is lucky to have a few real life actual Cambridge Admissions Tutors as official representatives. They run threads at key points in the admissions cycle to answer any questions or concerns from prospective applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We'll be back with another thread after Easter.
One of my friends switched from MML to English about 4 weeks into first year. He needed to go through an interview with the English department first though.
A few points though. Firstly A level economics should definitely not make the degree less stimulating. You'll realise this very soon in university, but A-levels are very much nothing more than an introduction to a subject.
Also if you think you have lost interest in economics you should apply straight to Comp Sci.
Thirdly if your school offers further maths, it really would have been beneficial to take. If possible try and at least do AS further maths. Its really interesting and should support your application and uni career
I know this is a very old thread but I am facing a similar scenario!

I am taking Maths, Further maths, Economics and Chemistry A-level and I have applied for economics at St John's (still waiting for my interview). I was wondering the feasibility of swapping to maths or computer science.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending