Ellora09
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello!
I'm about to make my 6th year choices and was curious about other people's experiences.
I'm planning on taking:
Adv Higher Computing
Adv Higher English
Adv Higher Maths
Nat 5 Electronics

I'm predicted an A band 2 for Computing and English and a B band 3 for maths.

Do you think 3 advanced highers is okay for the amount of work they'll involve? From what I gather Electronics doesn't have a written exam as such so I don't think that will be too taxing.

Basically just want to know if I'm taking on too much, as not many people in my school take 3 advanced highers, let alone with something else.

Thank you in advance!
scottishguyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ellora09)
Hello!
I'm about to make my 6th year choices and was curious about other people's experiences.
I'm planning on taking:
Adv Higher Computing
Adv Higher English
Adv Higher Maths
Nat 5 Electronics

Do you think 3 advanced highers is okay for the amount of work they'll involve? From what I gather Electronics doesn't have a written exam as such so I don't think that will be too taxing.

Basically just want to know if I'm taking on too much, as not many people in my school take 3 advanced highers, let alone with something else.

Thank you in advance!
I think that's a standard workload considering the N5, only thing is that AH English is an unusual one in there. Haven't you thought it'd be more beneficial to do another Higher, afterall AHs aren't really necessary for most courses and AH English wouldn't help much in a maths degree, for example. But I say go for it, as long as you enjoy them then it'll be great!
Ellora09
Rep:
?
(Original post by scottishguyy)
I think that's a standard workload considering the N5, only thing is that AH English is an unusual one in there. Haven't you thought it'd be more beneficial to do another Higher, afterall AHs aren't really necessary for most courses and AH English wouldn't help much in a maths degree, for example. But I say go for it, as long as you enjoy them then it'll be great!
Yeah I did consider that but I do really enjoy English so I wanted to carry on with it. Thanks for the vote of confidence! Nice to hear from someone who doesn't just stare at me blankly and say "you're doing THREE advanced highers" lol 😂
bethande
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i do three advanced highers (chemistry biology history) and honestly its no worse than doing 5 highers, with those predictions you'll be totally fine
username1842595
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All of that should be fine however Advanced Higher English has a significant amount of workload in it and you are expected to do mostly everything by yourself i.e dissertation writing and you don't get much feedback from teachers. You have to pick two novels and write a dissertation on them and analyse them yourself and it does take a while. It's not the same as Higher English if that's what you think it is. You will also be expected to look at an article of text and analyse it yourself, and bare in mind it's an article you have never seen before.

I was doing average in the class and in the end I just dropped it, because it wasn't part of my university offer and there was far too much work involved.

Its good that you enjoy English but if you want something that isn't so much on workload perhaps consider choosing a different advanced higher or even another higher, since it seems you don't need advanced highers for many university courses anyway. Just make life easier for yourself, lol.
JP298
Badges: 11
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ellora09)
Hello!
I'm planning on taking:
Adv Higher Computing
Adv Higher English
Adv Higher Maths
Nat 5 Electronics

Thank you in advance!
Hey,

I've already been through all this and I'm now at university so I know from experience what will be most beneficial for you. First of all what are you wanting to do after school?

Do you plan on studying in Scotland or going down south or abroad for that matter?

Why are you taking N5 electronics? Is it a resit or is there another reason you are taking it?
Ellora09
Rep:
?
(Original post by JP298)
Hey,

I've already been through all this and I'm now at university so I know from experience what will be most beneficial for you. First of all what are you wanting to do after school?

Do you plan on studying in Scotland or going down south or abroad for that matter?

Why are you taking N5 electronics? Is it a resit or is there another reason you are taking it?
Hey, thanks for getting in touch!

I plan to stay in Scotland and I just wanted to take electronics for the sake of it 😂

We've actually reached the deadline for our choice forms and I went with Adv Higher Computing, English and Maths. Thank you anyway though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (505)
33.69%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (621)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (305)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.54%

Watched Threads