The Student Room Group

How to do a C4 Vectors exam question

Guided solution to an exam question is in the post below this one

C4 Vectors exam questions give a lot of A Level students nightmares, often because they don't fully understand the underlying methods and also because textbooks/teachers don't always prepare students for the kinds of questions that you see in exams. I thought I'd write a solution to an exam question that shows in detail how to draw diagrams and explains all of the methods.

I wrote this solution a few months back but after noticing a lot of vectors queries this year on TSR, I decided today to LaTeX it up and upload it here. Of course an actual solution won't need to be this detailed. If you are a C4 student who hasn't done this question before then I highly recommend trying it yourself before going through my solution.

The question is Edexcel C4 January 2012 Question 7 but it will be useful for all exam boards. Also not all C4 questions are as long as this one, I chose it because it involves a lot of different techniques.

Please let me know if you have any questions or notice any mistakes!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Alternative method for f) (I highly recommend understanding this):

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you so much for this @notnek you have no idea how much I appreciate this! :smile:
Thanks for the tag! I'll definitely have a look at this further once I've finished learning the whole chapter! :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for this, very helpful :h:

This is hard for Edexcel!? The AQA ones are way worse :cry:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kiiten
Thanks for this, very helpful :h:

This is hard for Edexcel!? The AQA ones are way worse :cry:

Have you looked at the whole question? I'll post the rest of the question now and the solutions over the next few days. The first 3 parts are standard but the 3 parts that are still to come are harder.
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
Have you looked at the whole question? I'll post the rest of the question now and the solutions over the next few days. The first 3 parts are standard but the 3 parts that are still to come are harder.

Oh, no i thought that was one question, my bad :s-smilie:. I didnt know that the rest will make up just one question! :O
Reply 7
Original post by kiiten
Oh, no i thought that was one question, my bad :s-smilie:. I didnt know that the rest will make up just one question! :O

I just posted the rest of the parts above. It's quite a long one!
Reply 8
Original post by notnek

PRSOM. Looks helpful!
Reply 9
Original post by notnek
I just posted the rest of the parts above. It's quite a long one!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kiiten

Spoiler

If the vertices are given as ABCD, then that would normally imply A to B to C to D. But

Spoiler

Reply 11
Original post by kiiten

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 12
Original post by DFranklin
If the vertices are given as ABCD, then that would normally imply A to B to C to D. But

Spoiler

Is this wrong?

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by kiiten
Is this wrong?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 14
Original post by notnek

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 15
Original post by kiiten

Spoiler

Too many spoilers - I'm getting fed up with them :smile:

The vector AB\overrightarrow{AB} is the vector that goes from A to B. In your diagram this vector starts at A and moves up to B.

The vector CD\overrightarrow{CD} is the vector that goes from C to D. In your diagram this vector starts at C and moves down to D.

Since these vectors are parallel but in opposite directions then AB=CD\overrightarrow{AB} =-\overrightarrow{CD}.

EDITED
(edited 6 years ago)
Parts a to c were beautifully explained!! Thanks again for this! I will definitely use this as a reference for when I get stuck on vector questions! I'm excited to read parts d to f now :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by notnek
Too many spoilers - I'm getting fed up with them :smile:

The vector AB\overrightarrow{AB} is the vector that goes from A to B. In your diagram this vector starts at A and moves up to B.

The vector CD\overrightarrow{CD} is the vector that goes from C to D. In your diagram this vector starts at C and moves down to B.

Since these vectors are parallel but in opposite directions then AB=CD\overrightarrow{AB} =-\overrightarrow{CD}.

Oh haha i just added them so people who havent seen the answer wont see it :smile:

Do you mean moves down to D?

Oh i thought the arrow determined if the vector is +ve or -ve e.g. if my arrow was pointing to C from D it would be -CD. But youre saying that because CD is going 'downwards' its -CD?
Reply 18
I've updated the second post in this thread with the rest of the solutions. I recommend understanding the alternative method in f) since it may help with harder questions.

If you take anything away from reading my solutions it should be that drawing a clear diagram showing all the information helps a lot with these kinds of questions. Don't be lazy!

Even though I had already written these solutions, formatting them on TSR took a lot longer than I expected. I wonder if I now have the record for most LaTeX in a single post? :smile:

Again, please let me know if you don't understand something or notice a typo/mistake.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by kiiten
Oh haha i just added them so people who havent seen the answer wont see it :smile:

Do you mean moves down to D?

Oh i thought the arrow determined if the vector is +ve or -ve e.g. if my arrow was pointing to C from D it would be -CD. But youre saying that because CD is going 'downwards' its -CD?

You're right about my mistake. I meant it moves down to D.

No an arrow on a vector diagram is the vector so if an arrow on your diagram goes from A to B then this arrow represents the vector AB\overrightarrow{AB}

My use of the words "up" and "down" in my last post was just so you can see on your diagram what I was talking about. But a vector going up or down on a diagram doesn't tell you anything about the vector.

Quick Reply

Latest