j-p-
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hi,

i've looking to study criminology at either durham or bristol university in sept 2017 but am stuck between the two. love love love the bristol city and the vibes it gives - i know a lot of people that go there and have no criticisms towards it. durham, however, the course appeals to me way way more and it is ranked more highly in UK league tables. however i currently live near london so am used to quite a buzzing atmosphere and am quite keen on going out so i feel a bit wary towards durham's nightlife scene? i also feel like i can see myself in the city of bristol way more than i can durham?
basically, my questions are:
1. how important is it to really love the course you're doing?
2. is anyone who goes to durham able to reassure me on the nightlife?
3. how important are the uni rankings?

thanks very much
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by j-p-)
hi,

i've looking to study criminology at either durham or bristol university in sept 2017 but am stuck between the two. love love love the bristol city and the vibes it gives - i know a lot of people that go there and have no criticisms towards it. durham, however, the course appeals to me way way more and it is ranked more highly in UK league tables. however i currently live near london so am used to quite a buzzing atmosphere and am quite keen on going out so i feel a bit wary towards durham's nightlife scene? i also feel like i can see myself in the city of bristol way more than i can durham?
basically, my questions are:
1. how important is it to really love the course you're doing?
2. is anyone who goes to durham able to reassure me on the nightlife?
3. how important are the uni rankings?

thanks very much
1. Very important. The course is everything, in my opinion - it's the whole reason for going to university. You have your whole life to live in a city, you get once chance to study a subject that interests you.

3. Not important. These days your grades and work experience are far more important to employers than university rankings. Anyway, both Durham and Bristol are solid prestigious universities, you can't go wrong with either.
Tortoises172
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I live in Bristol and hold an unconditional to go to Durham in October. Bristol is an amazing city and I always say I'd love to go to uni there if I hadn't grown up there. The nightlife is excellent and there is always something to do. However, Durham is also a beautiful city. Newcastle has a good night scene and is 10 minutes on the train. Durham also has a collegiate system, which is what made it my first choice. I also wouldn't put down Durham's nightlife- yes it isn't as good, but there are still plenty of places to go, plus all the college bars are incredibly cheap. I have friends there who seem to go out a lot and enjoy themselves, plus there's formals etc to go to in college. I don't know much about your course but the truth is both are excellent universities with good prospects. Just think hard about the course- if Durham's course appeals to you that much more, I think maybe go for it as the colleges provide an amazing social life anyway. You can always move to Bristol after your degree, but you are unlikely ever to experience a collegiate university like Durham again. Good luck and hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (740)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (417)
19.1%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (97)
4.44%

Watched Threads