The Student Room Group

British Muslim protest Westminster attack "Not in our name"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by AishaGirl
I meant you cannot lock up a person for having extreme views about a subject because you "think" they might go commit terrorism. It's a bit different if they are inciting hatred on the street or online and driving people to violence though.

Of course you can. It depends on the circumstances.

The related human rights are not absolute - they always depend on national urgency.
Original post by _Fergo
Of course you can. It depends on the circumstances.

The related human rights are not absolute - they always depend on national urgency.

What circurmcstance means you can arrest a person for having extreme views? (apart from inciting hatred and calling for violence online or on the streets as @AishaGirl already stated?)
Original post by l'etranger
It would seem I over estimated your intelligence; I guess I'm going to have to spoon-feed you like a little baby.

Christian communities both active practicising Christians as well as cultural Christians have aggressively protested the KKK and have taken huge steps to create a culture wherein racism cannot thrive. If you'd like I could give you a brief history lesson on the first anti-slavery activists who were Protestant subscribers to the Christian Social Gospel.

The point you were making was demonstrably false.

Hang on son... The point I was making? Perhaps you should take a few steps back and actually think what you just did. Which was to arrive at a ridiculous conclusion, based on one question. I was simply asking how detested the KKK was by Christians at the time.

For some reason you took that to mean
I'm delusional, because I don't think that Christians have a commitment to "social reform." You think I'm the less intelligent one, when you're the one who drew such an irrational conclusion based on a simple question. I even contemplated adding a disclaimer to my post before I submitted it, to say I was asking a genuine question, but I thought against it.

I can only think your dramatic response is out of some defensiveness, as most of your posts are. But if you actually bothered to read, in another reply a few
posts down where I presented a positive believe about Christianity, you'd see how incongruous your over-assumption was.

Edit: Oh and this partly explains why you went against every history scholar recently to tell me that Christianity in medieval history hasn't a root in sexism against women :rofl:

I can read you like a book. You can still love your religion and look at it with a critical eye.
(edited 7 years ago)
These Muslims were placed there by the globalist elite crashing this thread = FAKE NEWS
Original post by Twinpeaks
Hang on son... The point I was making? Perhaps you should take a few steps back and actually think what you just did. Which was to arrive at a ridiculous conclusion, based on one question. I was simply asking how detested the KKK was by Christians at the time.

For some reason you took that to mean
I'm delusional, because I don't think that Christians have a commitment to "social reform." You think I'm the less intelligent one, when you're the one who drew such an irrational conclusion based on a simple question. I even contemplated adding a disclaimer to my post before I submitted it, to say I was asking a genuine question, but I thought against it.

I can only think your dramatic response is out of some defensiveness, as most of your posts are. But if you actually bothered to read, in another reply a few
posts down where I presented a positive believe about Christianity, you'd see how incongruous your over-assumption was.

Edit: Oh and this partly explains why you went against every history scholar recently to tell me that Christianity in medieval history hasn't a root in sexism against women :rofl:

I can read you like a book. You can still love you religion and look at it with a critical eye.

You really can't read my like a book; how many religions are we going to go through? :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by asiangcse
What circurmcstance means you can arrest a person for having extreme views? (apart from inciting hatred and calling for violence online or on the streets as @AishaGirl already stated?)

When intelligence is solid enough to suggest that they may do something in the future.

It's not about the extreme views per se, it's what they may lead to later on.
Original post by l'etranger
You really can't read my like a book; how many religions are we going to go through? :smile:

Got you sussed mate.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Got you sussed mate.

Tell me my religion come on.
Original post by _Fergo
When intelligence is solid enough to suggest that they may do something in the future.

It's not about the extreme views per se, it's what they may lead to later on.

There are too many of them with extreme views. Those with violent motives would try their best to keep these quiet.
Reply 89
this guy wasn't a Muslim he was part of ISIS
Applies to both US & UK, 8 years on it couldn't be closer to the truth
https://youtu.be/208t80uceSg
Reply 90
Original post by Cherub012
There are too many of them with extreme views. Those with violent motives would try their best to keep these quiet.

Those with motives, if associated with others, would somehow need to communicate.

And I'm not talking about the effectiveness of policing, I'm referring to what the state can do to someone who is known to harbour extremist views.
op post generally are plausible but this is idiocy. the Muslim population isn't responsible for this retards actions.
Reply 92
Original post by gr8wizard10
op post generally are plausible but this is idiocy. the Muslim population isn't responsible for this retards actions.

Muslims generally? No.
Islam? Yes.

The Muslim population isn't doing much to stop these extremists either.
Original post by _Fergo
Muslims generally? No.
Islam? Yes.

The Muslim population isn't doing much to stop these extremists either.

What should muslims be doing to stop them?
Why wouldn't you openly condemn it if you truly do not support it?
Original post by GandalfWhite

Who's not condemning these actions? I went to friday prayers today at birmingham central mosque, full of jounalists and tv cameras. The Imam, before the prayers openly condemned it. Everyone around me condemned it. There's a 'not in my name' march tomorrow organised by the mosque. So why do you think we're not openly condemning it?
UK Muslims raised tens of thousands today for the victims of the London attack
Original post by GandalfWhite

what kinda question is this, most people condemn any acts of terrorism, be it Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
Original post by redleader1
To be honest studies show relgion does not actually play a major part in terrorism its nationalism not religion. (Pape 2005)

But there are problems everywhere all over the world and no one really seems bothered to do much.

I would say more than nationalism it's politics. The attacks are both politically and religiously motivated.
Original post by QE2

I agree with you.
However, there are passages in the Quran and sunnah that suggest otherwise.

Allah does this constantly throughout the Quran.
You're not that familiar with Islamic doctrine, are you?

I also agree with you, of course, there are parts in the Quran which, I don't agree about (following my own conscience), and yes I am familiar with it, I just don't take EVERY word of the Quran and follow it. IMO It's being reasonable/Open-minded and at the end of the day, it doesn't affect the way I think of the person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending