The Student Room Group

The Courtauld or UCL for MA??

Hello! I've been accepted to both the Courtauld and UCL for my MA in history of art. I need help deciding where to go!

My undergraduate is in anthropology, but I have quite a bit of experience interning at contemporary art spaces. Ultimately I want to work with a collection in some capacity, whether at a museum or archive.

At the Courtauld I was accepted for medieval Spanish art, which I know nothing about, but am interested in. But I do not want to pidgeonhole myself by specializing in something so obscure. While I have an interest in medieval art, my expertise is in modern and contemprary, but I also think that even with a degree in medieval art I could still work with a modern collection.

UCL would give me the freedom to write my thesis on modern art and perhaps take some classes in medieval art on the side. It is also ranked at 2nd for the 2017 university league tables.

I really want to work in the art world but I know it is extremely competitive. If I don't make it in art, a degree from UCL might be more useful in another field than a degree from the Courtauld.

What do people think? Why do you think the Courtauld has fallen in the rankings? Is it really as prestigious as everyone says? Or is UCL just as good?
Original post by Frenhofer

Rankings mean little so I wouldn't worry about them. UCL seems to be the course you're leaning towards and that's more suited to your interests and career plans so that would be the way to go. Employers are more concerned with what you studied, what your grades were and what experience you have than where you studied.

Quick Reply

Latest