The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geog Unit 4 6GE04 01 - 9th June 2017 - Tectonic Hazards [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ali99
did you just do almost a yes and no side or did you still use factors such as governance to structure the main body?

I wasn't even planning on using technology as a sub heading in my report so I just did an extra paragraph on technology
We did the 2012 report which is similar to this one although that had a focus on organisations, structured by human factors then physical factors and got 60/70
I plan on splitting my analysis into human factors, e.g. economic development, governance and community preparedess, and physical factors, e.g. type of hazard (magnitude, frequency, etc) and topology/climate. And doing one or two case studies for each sub factor (depending on time). Assuming timing is fine, do you guys think that that's a good structure to do?
Original post by m_wharrier
We did the 2012 report which is similar to this one although that had a focus on organisations, structured by human factors then physical factors and got 60/70

how many case studies did you use per subheading and how many pages long was your analysis
For each case study in the analysis,e.g. Icelandic eruption just for an example, would you structure it by:
A) listing the impacts of the hazard and then the management techniques, then linking it to effective management in the sub conclusion
or
B) listing the management techniques and then the impacts of the hazard, then linking it to effective management in the sub conclusion.

Please let me know
Original post by halliethestudent
how many case studies did you use per subheading and how many pages long was your analysis

8 case studies in fair amount of detail, going to drop 2 more in for the real thing
Original post by Imaluza
My teacher told us that there are 4 management approaches;
Modify the Loss
Modify Vulnerability
Modify the Event
And, Modify the Cause
This is how she is getting us to structure our analysis - each 'modify' also has sub parts within it as well

So is your argument that the different modifiers affect the effective management of a natural hazard, or for each modify section you're going to talk about how different factors, e.g. magnitude, affect the effective modify management section that you're referencing?
Reply 87
Original post by chelseafc10
So is your argument that the different modifiers affect the effective management of a natural hazard, or for each modify section you're going to talk about how different factors, e.g. magnitude, affect the effective modify management section that you're referencing?

Is more like how each different modify is used based on the development of the country.
For instance under 'Modify the Vulnerability' there are many subheadings - Prediction and warning (for both EQ and VE), Community Preparedness, Integrated risk management, and Hazard education. And each have their own examples.

I guess the effectiveness is based on the scale - that Modifying Loss is the least technological, therefore the least effective, to Modifying the Cause, which is the most technological - therefore the most effective.

I'm not sure how much sense this makes, but I will try and find the example my teacher gave us, and hopefully that will make it clearer.
Reply 88

Here is the example essay. I hope this makes sense?
Original post by Imaluza

That's helpful, thanks.

From my understanding, you can basically either structure the analysis by each modifier and bring in the human and physical factors within it, or structure the analysis by physical and human factors and bring in the modifiers throughout.

I'm probably going to do the latter but either works.
Reply 90
That's helpful, thanks.

From my understanding, you can basically either structure the analysis by each modifier and bring in the human and physical factors within it, or structure the analysis by physical and human factors and bring in the modifiers throughout.

I'm probably going to do the latter but either works.

I'm glad it helps :biggrin:
And that makes sense - I'm probably gonna stick with what my teacher says tho, make it a little easier on myself.
Good luck with your exam anyway!
Original post by Imaluza
I'm glad it helps :biggrin:
And that makes sense - I'm probably gonna stick with what my teacher says tho, make it a little easier on myself.
Good luck with your exam anyway!

Thanks, good luck to you too!
Original post by saft
Physical: Magnitude, type of hazard climate
Human: Economic development, population issues and governance
I'd still like to make passing reference to other factors

I'm doing mine based on human and physical factors too.
For each case study, how are you structuring the management methods in place, e.g. are you doing it by modify the cause, modify the event, modify vulnerability and modify the loss, OR are you doing it by preparedness methods, mitigation methods, response methods and recovery methods?
Let me know, thanks
Reply 93
I'm doing mine based on human and physical factors too.
For each case study, how are you structuring the management methods in place, e.g. are you doing it by modify the cause, modify the event, modify vulnerability and modify the loss, OR are you doing it by preparedness methods, mitigation methods, response methods and recovery methods?
Let me know, thanks

Hey, yeah I was planning on going the "preparedness methods, mitigation methods, response methods and recovery methods" route -
I thought that would be a wicked way to go about it.

But since then, I've seen so many different type of structures.
Honestly all are valid. Its just what you're comfortable with explaining

(I've yet to start this btw,)
I'm meeting my tutor tomorrow so whatever she says, that how i'm gonna do it so that may or may not be the way I initially thought I would do it.
Reply 94
Original post by Imaluza

This is FANTASTIC!!
Thank you for sharing this.
It's an interesting approach - cos I guess you cover more this way...
Reply 95
does anyone do Montserrat and Izmit for their volcano and earthquake case study? Anyone have any good notes?
Original post by saft
Hey, yeah I was planning on going the "preparedness methods, mitigation methods, response methods and recovery methods" route -
I thought that would be a wicked way to go about it.

But since then, I've seen so many different type of structures.
Honestly all are valid. Its just what you're comfortable with explaining

(I've yet to start this btw,)
I'm meeting my tutor tomorrow so whatever she says, that how i'm gonna do it so that may or may not be the way I initially thought I would do it.

Yeah that's what I plan on doing too (physical and human factors and then structure each management approach by preparedness, mitigation, etc) because if you structure it by modify cause, modify event then you're not going to have as much to say because most LEDCs don't employ methods to modify the cause or modify the event.
Thanks for your help, good luck in the exam
Original post by saft
I'm so confused with unit 4!
My teacher goes that going with many factors it makes the answer very limited in understanding.
So,below is my plan.
I haven't done any research into the case studies yet!
Am I the only one that is this behind?

What source did you get the management definition from because I've been searching for a management definition from an appropriate source and can't find it. How would you reference it in the exam, e.g. was it '(Allan, 2009)' or another source?
Thanks
Has anyone found a definition for 'effective management' yet (from a source)?
Cheers
Reply 99
Original post by schoolboyproject
Has anyone found a definition for 'effective management' yet (from a source)?
Cheers

The one that I use is 'The severity of a tectonic hazard and its human impact depends on the interaction of a number of variables. It is these factors that form the basis for successful hazard management' from Hazards and Responses, (2001), Victoria Bishop.
I then show a table that has physical (Geographical access, type of hazard, topography) and human (Government competence and resources, Level of development, scientific understanding,.....etc) factors.

Quick Reply