The Student Room Group

Radiotherapy application rejected, what do I do?

Feeling slightly gutted this morning... Had an interview last week for radiotherapy and oncology. They have declined me, and offered a place to do biology. I've worked so hard these last two years gaining my GCSE and am almost at then end off an access course. I also did 6 month voluntary work in the hospital. It wasn't in a radiotherapy department but was on the oncology ward. When I went for my interview they seemed disappointed I hadn't visited a radiotherapy department. I don't feel my interview went well as I was so bloody nervous. Wasn't myself at all. I only had one uni choice as due to having children wouldn't be able to travel to any others that offer it.

I'm not sure biology would be of much benefit to me at my age (35). Not sure where to go from here. Apart from reapplying in another year... When I'm even older 😟.
Any advice from anyone would be great. Thanks
Original post by Sleepdream
Feeling slightly gutted this morning... Had an interview last week for radiotherapy and oncology. They have declined me, and offered a place to do biology. I've worked so hard these last two years gaining my GCSE and am almost at then end off an access course. I also did 6 month voluntary work in the hospital. It wasn't in a radiotherapy department but was on the oncology ward. When I went for my interview they seemed disappointed I hadn't visited a radiotherapy department. I don't feel my interview went well as I was so bloody nervous. Wasn't myself at all. I only had one uni choice as due to having children wouldn't be able to travel to any others that offer it.

I'm not sure biology would be of much benefit to me at my age (35). Not sure where to go from here. Apart from reapplying in another year... When I'm even older 😟.
Any advice from anyone would be great. Thanks

I'm sorry to hear you weren't accepted for the course you applied for. Have you contacted them to get feedback on the interview and perhaps more details on why you weren't accepted? If it was just hte interview, t hen perhasp you can get some preperation in before a reapplication
I'd say ask for feedback and then take the year to get the necessary experience. No point in doing a degree for the sake of it, you really need to want to do it.
Reply 3
Thanks, I have emailed to ask for feedback.
:smile:
Don't be too disheartened it's a very competitive course. You've basically answered you're own question on what you need to do though. Even though you've got lots of general oncology experience no uni will accept applicants if they haven't actually been to a radiotherapy department. It should be fairly easy for you to get some experience, the ward you're volunteering on will be able to get a contact for you and a half day will suffice (though most will do a full day).

Definitely reapply next year and don't worry about your age. I was 28 when I qualified but I know people who were in their 40s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
I'm sorry to hear you weren't accepted for the course you applied for. Have you contacted them to get feedback on the interview and perhaps more details on why you weren't accepted? If it was just hte interview, t hen perhasp you can get some preperation in before a reapplication

My dear best thing to do is contact David Green at the saint James Hospital leeds.
I haven't got the number, but I can get you the number.
They will give you a days work experience in the radiotherapy Unit.
I was a student Radiographer at the University of Bradford. I left due to my brothers recovery from ilness.i was offered retakes and I said I want to care for my brother and get him sorted and then come back. University of Bradford told me either to resit few exams/Clinical placement or get out from the Uni.
After 8 years I reapplied and got rejected, although I have lot of experience.
I have been to Teeside uni 3 times for the Diagnostic Radiography interview. First I review was good, but didn't score high in situational judgement. 2nd interview, again the same. 3rd interview my admissions test was good but the interview was bad.
My thought was I did good enough to get a place.
Unfortunately universities these days want more than excellent candidates.
If I was you try Sheffield Hallam University.
I have given up applying to Diagnostic Radiography at Teeside and I believe this University doesn't know what they are doing.
You can still go to clearing at Sheffield Hallam or UCAS extra.
Regards
Hamraz Razzaq

Quick Reply

Latest