The Student Room Group

Full time vs part time study

Afternoon all,

I am trying to decide if I want to give up my good job and salary to go to uni in September :eek: I was wondering how many hours at uni the full and part time degree courses involve? I really need to see if I can study full time and work part time as well. I am hoping to see if I can work part time in my current job.

Could anyone give me a guide as to how many uni hours the full & part time courses are please?
Original post by Flickatina
Afternoon all,

I am trying to decide if I want to give up my good job and salary to go to uni in September :eek: I was wondering how many hours at uni the full and part time degree courses involve? I really need to see if I can study full time and work part time as well. I am hoping to see if I can work part time in my current job.

Could anyone give me a guide as to how many uni hours the full & part time courses are please?

What subject are you looking to study? Contact time can vary massively between courses.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
What subject are you looking to study? Contact time can vary massively between courses.

I was planning on psychology with criminology.
Reply 3
I am in the same position as you and have chosen to leave my full time job. A part time course is an option, but I feel that I would struggle to keep on top of my studies AND work full time. I really want to dedicate all my efforts as it is the last shot I am going to get! Contact time for my course in the firt year is 12-15 hours but you cannot guarantee what days or times that will be. Unless you work in a flexible job, it will be hard to now what part time rota you would need until nearer the time.
I was planning on psychology with criminology.

I started Crim and Psych back in 2013. I wanted to do Crim part time but it was a full time course, Crim and Psych at my uni is 5 years part time - four years part time and the final year full time. 2 modules a year for the first four years. It may differ in other universities, of course. I dropped Psych and went full time Crim and am in my second year. Problem is will part time is that you have a different year group every year as the group you are studying with move into their next year.
Part time Crim and Psych was 6 hours a week on campus but you had to put in a lot of work at home.
I'm doing my degree on a part time basis through distance learning. It can be a lot (20 hours a week) and the assignments haven't been spread out very well so I've had to juggle a full time job and assignment deadlines but I couldn't afford to leave my job. It's an option if you don't want to give up work but also want to further your career.
Afternoon all,

Distance learning is very flexible - you will only release a module when you're ready to study it.
Each module generally has a 15, 20 or 30 credit value. If you were looking to complete you degree at a full-time pace, you would be studying 30 credits each quarter.

As a general rule: 1 credit = 10 hours of study, 30 = 300 hours of study, but of course a lot of it depends on the individual! :smile:

90% of students studying with us also hold a full-time/part-time job and earn while they learn :smile: You will have to be organised, but it definitely is possible and puts you in a good position when you graduate - giving you that work experience which you peers might not have.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending