The Student Room Group

Direction of acceleration

If a spacecraft is fired vertically upwards from the surface of the Earth at an initial velocity of x and it reaches a specific height at which the velocity is y, assuming the spacecraft's engine is turned off after it is fired and no air resistance would x be greater than y? If the only force acting is weight then wouldn't the spacecraft be accelerating towards Earth meaning y would be less than x? I'm not quite sure what direction the spacecraft is accelerating
Original post by _JOKER_
If a spacecraft is fired vertically upwards from the surface of the Earth at an initial velocity of x and it reaches a specific height at which the velocity is y, assuming the spacecraft's engine is turned off after it is fired and no air resistance would x be greater than y? If the only force acting is weight then wouldn't the spacecraft be accelerating towards Earth meaning y would be less than x? I'm not quite sure what direction the spacecraft is accelerating

Hiya, in this case I would assume that y would be less than x. If you think about the path of a projectile, if y was bigger than x then something would never come down! The only force acting would be it's weight and so the velocity would decrease as the direction of acceleration is downwards.
hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending