International development BA VS Education BA and international post grad

Watch this thread
chloelouisea
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi All,

Looking for help and advice.

I want to go into humanitarian work so NGOs. Im 21 and have decided to start a degree semi part time this year meaning i graduate when 25. I want to be starting my new career in the quickest time possible and know even after graduating i still have to do volunteer and internships.

Im wondering whats the best route for me, when i start my international humanitarian work i would like a focus on education and children projects.

Would i be best to do an education degree (looking at child and youth studies BA) and then a masters in international development and education.

OR do a BA in international development then a masters in international development and education?

I've hear to go into this field you need a masters but worrying about best undergrad route? also do you think if i did BA in international development i would be more likely to get a job without a masters?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chloelouisea)
Hi All,

Looking for help and advice.

I want to go into humanitarian work so NGOs. Im 21 and have decided to start a degree semi part time this year meaning i graduate when 25. I want to be starting my new career in the quickest time possible and know even after graduating i still have to do volunteer and internships.

Im wondering whats the best route for me, when i start my international humanitarian work i would like a focus on education and children projects.

Would i be best to do an education degree (looking at child and youth studies BA) and then a masters in international development and education.

OR do a BA in international development then a masters in international development and education?

I've hear to go into this field you need a masters but worrying about best undergrad route? also do you think if i did BA in international development i would be more likely to get a job without a masters?
The best advice is to study something that actually interests you. As far as I know, you don't need a specific degree to work for NGOs. That said, doing a degree in international development (or a subject related to it) would be useful if that is the sector you want to work in. Unless you want to work in a nursery or be a primary school teacher then I don't think you should do child and youth studies.

Do you have any universities in mind?
chloelouisea
Rep:
(Original post by Snufkin)
The best advice is to study something that actually interests you. As far as I know, you don't need a specific degree to work for NGOs. That said, doing a degree in international development (or a subject related to it) would be useful if that is the sector you want to work in. Unless you want to work in a nursery or be a primary school teacher then I don't think you should do child and youth studies.

Do you have any universities in mind?
Im going to be going through open uni ive been trying to look for other distance learning courses in those areas but not found anything.

so child and youth studies is mainly for primary school work? that's interesting any other thoughts on my goals mentioned above as to what could work then? by the sounds of it my best bet it the international studies BA then and if i need the masters do it focusing on education AND international
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
Im going to be going through open uni ive been trying to look for other distance learning courses in those areas but not found anything.

so child and youth studies is mainly for primary school work? that's interesting any other thoughts on my goals mentioned above as to what could work then? by the sounds of it my best bet it the international studies BA then and if i need the masters do it focusing on education AND international
Ah, I see.

It really depends on the university - you need to look beyond the degree name and research course content. I think the majority of childhood and youth studies degrees are primary school-orientated (but not all). If that subject interests you then by all means do it, but I don't think it has much to do with international development.

You say you're interested in development but can you be a little more specific, do you like geography, languages, psychology, history, economics, social sciences, politics?
chloelouisea
Rep:
(Original post by Snufkin)
Ah, I see.

It really depends on the university - you need to look beyond the degree name and research course content. I think the majority of childhood and youth studies degrees are primary school-orientated (but not all). If that subject interests you then by all means do it, but I don't think it has much to do with international development.

You say you're interested in development but can you be a little more specific, do you like geography, languages, psychology, history, economics, social sciences, politics?
so interests hence the education piece. I want to go into international development focusing on education but i do like psychology. I loved geography at school aswell.
But basically i want to go in working on educational development projects so two themes
1. helping children with lack of access to education and creating programs in countries with poor education
2. helping on projects of a variety of issues and helping the project educate the community and aids on how to run the project but also educate people on issue, risk etc. so it plays a role in most NGO projects as almost always the local community need an education around the dangers issues etc and how to create sustainability to change these.
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
so interests hence the education piece. I want to go into international development focusing on education but i do like psychology. I loved geography at school aswell.
But basically i want to go in working on educational development projects so two themes
1. helping children with lack of access to education and creating programs in countries with poor education
2. helping on projects of a variety of issues and helping the project educate the community and aids on how to run the project but also educate people on issue, risk etc. so it plays a role in most NGO projects as almost always the local community need an education around the dangers issues etc and how to create sustainability to change these.
Hmm, the problem is that isn't something you can do a degree in - that's a career goal. You need to assess your academic interests when choosing a degree. You might like these degrees (they're both distance learning), the London one is similar to the OU but you don't get as much support, although it is cheaper. Look at the content/structure of each degree, read the module descriptions and ask yourself if you'd enjoy them.

https://www.uhi.ac.uk/en/courses/bsc...nt#tab-summary
http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk...pment#overview

If you live anywhere near London, you might also consider Birkbeck college which does evening study degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads