The Student Room Group

Accidentally fasting for a blood test

Normally people accidentally eat when they are not supposed to but I am the total opposite and I was wondering if this would affect my results.

I had a blood test done for a fbc but the forms also put glucose as a random thing. So I presumed I was meant to fast and booked a fasting test. Had it done and results have come back all healthy but I'm not sure if I did the blood test right.

My doctor didn't say anything.

I don't want to do get another blood test done though as it's just another month of booking and finding out results (which takes foreverr) and I just wanna know what's wrong with
me.

Should I go back and tell my doctor ?
Original post by Anonymous
Normally people accidentally eat when they are not supposed to but I am the total opposite and I was wondering if this would affect my results.

I had a blood test done for a fbc but the forms also put glucose as a random thing. So I presumed I was meant to fast and booked a fasting test. Had it done and results have come back all healthy but I'm not sure if I did the blood test right.

I don't want to do get another blood test done though as it's just another month of booking and finding out results (which takes foreverr) and I just wanna know what's wrong with
me.

It doesnt matter if you fasted , as its best to do a blood test fasting , i went for a random glucose test a few days ago and asked them , they did tell me its best to do a fasting blood test but since it was random glucose it never mattered much but a normal blood test should be done fasting.:smile:
Reply 2
If it was a fasting blood test, they would have told you beforehand. However, I would clarify with the GP just to give yourself peace of mind.
Original post by Anonymous

me.

Was the glucose test fasting or random - what were you told when you booked the FBC? If it came back in the normal range of 4-7, then I wouldn't worry about it anyway, but maybe a good idea to mention to the doctor next time you see him (you don't need an appointment or anything for it)
Reply 4
Original post by Lychee627
It doesnt matter if you fasted , as its best to do a blood test fasting , i went for a random glucose test a few days ago and asked them , they did tell me its best to do a fasting blood test but since it was random glucose it never mattered much but a normal blood test should be done fasting.:smile:

Ah okay then, I might double check then with the doctor :biggrin: thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Airmed
If it was a fasting blood test, they would have told you beforehand. However, I would clarify with the GP just to give yourself peace of mind.

Oh I see I haven't had a blood test in years so I wasn't sure of the procedure really :h:
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Was the glucose test fasting or random - what were you told when you booked the FBC? If it came back in the normal range of 4-7, then I wouldn't worry about it anyway, but maybe a good idea to mention to the doctor next time you see him (you don't need an appointment or anything for it)

It was random, and I wasn't told any figures just that the results were normal. Thanks for clearing my doubts though! :h:
It doesn't matter for the FBC and being fasted for a random glucose is less of an issue than having eaten for a fasting glucose.

All in all, it's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest