Is any other school failing Edexcel GCSE Maths 9-1? Watch

Icy Whitescar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Most Year 11's who sat the maths higher mock paper (even people from set 1 that want to do take further maths as an A-Level) failed it miserably.
I've been revising for 3 maths non-stop trying to raise my grade, have used the Edexcel maths cards, revision guide and mathwatch. Nothing is working!
I got more marks this time compared to the December mock but didn't even make it to a 5. I need a 6 to get to the college I want.
Any tips?
Doctor1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Icy Whitescar)
Most Year 11's who sat the maths higher mock paper (even people from set 1 that want to do take further maths as an A-Level) failed it miserably.
I've been revising for 3 maths non-stop trying to raise my grade, have used the Edexcel maths cards, revision guide and mathwatch. Nothing is working!
I got more marks this time compared to the December mock but didn't even make it to a 5. I need a 6 to get to the college I want.
Any tips?
Most of the people in my year are also failing, including myself. Most people got around 50 marks overall , which was better than the December mocks(Mostly 20-30).

I got around 50 marks per paper and am hoping to study maths and perhaps even further maths at A-levels. Looking back at paper 1 (I got 53/80), I found out that I should've gotten 5 more marks and I lost another 7 marks from silly mistakes.

I didn't get to revise for most of my mocks due to coursework, but once I finish coursework I'm planning on revising at least 12 hours of maths every week (I'm aiming for at least a grade 8).

When it comes to revising maths, I would recommend finishing the syllabus first and complete as much workbook questions as you can. Then begin doing past papers. Ask your teacher for your paper back and look at all the topics you struggled on, study them, do questions on them and then reattempt that question.

OK, that may be too much if you only want to get a grade 6. What was your schools grade boundaries if you don't mind me asking?
Icy Whitescar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doctor1234)
Most of the people in my year are also failing, including myself. Most people got around 50 marks overall , which was better than the December mocks(Mostly 20-30).

I got around 50 marks per paper and am hoping to study maths and perhaps even further maths at A-levels. Looking back at paper 1 (I got 53/80), I found out that I should've gotten 5 more marks and I lost another 7 marks from silly mistakes.

I didn't get to revise for most of my mocks due to coursework, but once I finish coursework I'm planning on revising at least 12 hours of maths every week (I'm aiming for at least a grade 8).

When it comes to revising maths, I would recommend finishing the syllabus first and complete as much workbook questions as you can. Then begin doing past papers. Ask your teacher for your paper back and look at all the topics you struggled on, study them, do questions on them and then reattempt that question.

OK, that may be too much if you only want to get a grade 6. What was your schools grade boundaries if you don't mind me asking?

You're a being of higher intelligence and i am a mere potato crawling my way through the syllabus.
Our grade boundaries were roughly 30 marks per paper in order to get a grade 5, i'm not quite sure about the marks needed for any higher grade because as far as I'm aware no one in my set got anywhere near that.

Thank you for the advice through! You're honestly doing better than 99% of the studens in my year.
Samosa and Vada
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, 50% of topics will be on the paper are at 4/5/6 whilst other 50% 7/8/9. So, I think around 45% should be 6 in the real exam or maximum 50%
gotaDinmyartmock
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The edexcel maths mock papers were quite hard and i'm sure that edexcel will reduce the difficulty in the real exam after seeing the performance from students who took the tests so I don't think you should stress too much about it. Just do your best, if the test is hard, everyone else is in the same position and the grade boundaries will be lower.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any tips?
The large majority are "not meeting" their own expectations.

Of course, there are exceptions, but that is by and large the case. Rest assured that you're not alone.
erika159951
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Edexcel maths GCSE is just a joke really.. Everyone in our year has been doing so bad, even the smartest people have only been getting 6s at the most; I'm personally in top set, one of the few people who are taking the higher paper. I never really get 50%, more like 30%, so I end up getting 4s. So, you're not alone! We can only hope that the actual exams will be easier and that the mark boundaries will be quite low.
marzipan1030
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Write notes on how to do things step by step i.e. finding the equation of a tangent to a circle. Then do a set of really hard questions on that topic and then move on to writing on another topic. I recommend maths genie, but the questions are not too difficult.
Otherwise, if you understand how to do everything, focus on grade 7/8/9- once you have learnt how to answer these, you should be fine with the lower grade questions. More application is required for questions, so look for topics which require a large range of skills, i.e. finding the volume with a hemisphere using surds or finding the volume of a cuboid and you have to end up using a quadratic equation.
The key is to practise, and focus on the easier questions and build up to the harder questions. (I am currently working on grade 8/9 and have only started understanding maths properly )
Icy Whitescar
Rep:
?
(Original post by erika159951)
Edexcel maths GCSE is just a joke really.. Everyone in our year has been doing so bad, even the smartest people have only been getting 6s at the most; I'm personally in top set, one of the few people who are taking the higher paper. I never really get 50%, more like 30%, so I end up getting 4s. So, you're not alone! We can only hope that the actual exams will be easier and that the mark boundaries will be quite low.

I have already been entered for the higher paper along with pretty much half the year group although barely any of us are even passing at this point.
I'm hoping that Edexcel will either make the exam easier or have the grade boundaries really low.
Icy Whitescar
Rep:
?
(Original post by marzipan1030)
Write notes on how to do things step by step i.e. finding the equation of a tangent to a circle. Then do a set of really hard questions on that topic and then move on to writing on another topic. I recommend maths genie, but the questions are not too difficult.
Otherwise, if you understand how to do everything, focus on grade 7/8/9- once you have learnt how to answer these, you should be fine with the lower grade questions. More application is required for questions, so look for topics which require a large range of skills, i.e. finding the volume with a hemisphere using surds or finding the volume of a cuboid and you have to end up using a quadratic equation.
The key is to practise, and focus on the easier questions and build up to the harder questions. (I am currently working on grade 8/9 and have only started understanding maths properly )

Thank you! I have a question, has you been taught this syllabus since last year?
My year group started learning it in January because the maths department pretty much ignored us until they saw our horrendous grades.
marzipan1030
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! I have a question, has you been taught this syllabus since last year?
My year group started learning it in January because the maths department pretty much ignored us until they saw our horrendous grades.
I do OCR, but my school gives us Edexcel and AQA practise papers. My school started teaching us in year 9 and I am finishing it now.
But in my tuition, we use the Edexcel course.
Doctor1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're a being of higher intelligence and i am a mere potato crawling my way through the syllabus.
Our grade boundaries were roughly 30 marks per paper in order to get a grade 5, i'm not quite sure about the marks needed for any higher grade because as far as I'm aware no one in my set got anywhere near that.

Thank you for the advice through! You're honestly doing better than 99% of the studens in my year.
Lol, if you do everything mentioned in my previous post, there's nothing stopping you from getting a grade 9. I wasn't entirely happy with my maths results since some people got 70's in each paper. I'm now motivated to beat them when it comes to the real thing!

But hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower. I tried last year's mock paper at around December time, when I didn't study as much, and they had it waaaaay easier. I got 78/100 with so much time to spare and with practically no revision! After looking back at my paper I lost like 10 marks from silly mistakes.

By the way, did we do the same mock paper? Ours wasn't the Edexcel specimen paper, it was from PiXL(they make papers similar to what will be expected. )
Icy Whitescar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doctor1234)
Lol, if you do everything mentioned in my previous post, there's nothing stopping you from getting a grade 9. I wasn't entirely happy with my maths results since some people got 70's in each paper. I'm now motivated to beat them when it comes to the real thing!

But hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower. I tried last year's mock paper at around December time, when I didn't study as much, and they had it waaaaay easier. I got 78/100 with so much time to spare and with practically no revision! After looking back at my paper I lost like 10 marks from silly mistakes.

By the way, did we do the same mock paper? Ours wasn't the Edexcel specimen paper, it was from PiXL(they make papers similar to what will be expected. )
Yeah the entire country sat the same mock paper sent by Edexcel. My school practically **** on year 11's and started teaching us the syllabus two months ago and we all got 20/80 in each paper (the lucky ones).
Omgxxxomg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could tell me what the grade boundaries were for their schools? My schools boundaries for the November mock were quite high.... I got 157 mark overall and just managed to get a 7 (150 for a 7) and some schools have 220+ marks for a 9! Are the grade boundaries really that high? Btw we didn't do the February spring mock papers, we were just given them for homework so we only have the grade boundaries for the November set 1 mock
PrinceVegeta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd say it's best to go with the higher grade boundaries because if you're strict with yourself now, then who knows, the exam boundaries could be far lower. In all honesty I think the boundaries will be low for those who don't do as well.
Syed Institute
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Advise would be now is to as many of the practice exam papers are you can.

Search on youtube GCSE 9-1 maths papers, and you will see people going over them. I have uploaded a few papers released for Specimen by Edexcel, and other users have more videos, just search - its a great tool to use.

The style of questions will be similar in your exam.

I don't like telling students this but your real exam will be easier than what you have seen thus far, this current year 11 are testers for Edexcel to get it right for the future years.

And grade boundaries is a stupid thing to worry about because no one knows them, even the exam boards don't know them. Only after everyone sits their exam will they be truly finalised.

So yes it is tough but I tell my students you must rise to the challenge. Give it your best, and you will come out on top.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Syed Institute)
I don't like telling students this but your real exam will be easier than what you have seen thus far, this current year 11 are testers for Edexcel to get it right for the future years.
You have no way of knowing this.

The actual exam was written before the results of the mocks so the final exam could even be harder. None of us know so I think it's irresponsbile to make this prediction.

But I agree that doing as many practice papers as possible is a really good idea. There are 6 from CGP that are very good and you can get 3 more online from CGP MathsBuster. Aside from the mocks, the Edexcel practice papers aren't great since they're made up of mainly old GCSE questions.
Syed Institute
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by notnek)
You have no way of knowing this.

The actual exam was written before the results of the mocks so the final exam could even be harder. None of us know so I think it's irresponsbile to make this prediction.

But I agree that doing as many practice papers as possible is a really good idea. There are 6 from CGP that are very good and you can get 3 more online from CGP MathsBuster. Aside from the mocks, the Edexcel practice papers aren't great since they're made up of mainly old GCSE questions.
The government won't allow 80% of students to fail GCSE Maths.

Also regardless of how difficult or easy the exams are, the boundaries will be adjusted.

But I don't tell my students that because I don't want to instil any more laziness into their studying.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Syed Institute)
The government won't allow 80% of students to fail GCSE Maths.
Of course not. The rough percentages of students who will get each grade is given here. But how easy or hard the exam is is independent of the numbers who will pass/fail.

Claiming that the exam is going to be easier than what students have seen so far is what I have an issue with since neither you nor anyone else here has any idea.
username3149576
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any tips?
Yes, i thought our school was the only ones who were failing. In our December mocks, many of us got scores between 20-50 and the grade boundaries were ridiculously low. I managed to get a grade 8 without even reaching 50% of the total of the three papers. I know that if i got that mark in the real thing, I would probably get a 5, if im lucky.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads