rm.25
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I'm taking RE for GCSE and I can never get above 7/12 in the part e questions. I asked my teacher what I need to do to improve but she's not much help. I always evaluate each paragraph and put in my own opinion so what else do I need to do???

Thanks in advance
rm.25
Rep:
?
bump
rm.25
Rep:
?
bump
geryon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
could you post an example response, or a more detailed description of your essay structure? i'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but it could be that you don't include enough points in your essays, or you don't use enough key terminology - you can lose points for describing agape but not explicitly saying agape, for example.

do you always cite the views of the individual churches on the question? you might be missing marks on that as well.
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you giving two different arguments and giving them equal space? If you argue one side really well and not the other you can't get higher than level 2 (which is about 7/12) no matter how well it's written.
helloworld3736
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
Hello! This is the structure that I use, please find it attached and let me know if you have any further questions Best of luck for tomorrow
Attached files
rm.25
Rep:
?
(Original post by geryon)
could you post an example response, or a more detailed description of your essay structure? i'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but it could be that you don't include enough points in your essays, or you don't use enough key terminology - you can lose points for describing agape but not explicitly saying agape, for example.

do you always cite the views of the individual churches on the question? you might be missing marks on that as well.
Short intro
some christians think that...
Other christians think that...
(some other religion) believes that...
I believe that...
Other people (non-religious/quakers/liberal/fundamental christians) may think that...
Conclusion

I evaluate/say what is wrong or good about the point, name the christian denomination and include my own opinion soo.....? I think you might be right about not using enough terminology and probably not explaining in enough detail.
geryon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rm.25)
Short intro
some christians think that...
Other christians think that...
(some other religion) believes that...
I believe that...
Other people (non-religious/quakers/liberal/fundamental christians) may think that...
Conclusion

I evaluate/say what is wrong or good about the point, name the christian denomination and include my own opinion soo.....? I think you might be right about not using enough terminology and probably not explaining in enough detail.
yeah, i'd say that you probably just aren't going into enough detail - you seem to cover a lot of stuff in your essays, so you might be spreading yourself too thin over the detail. personally i've always used a basic 'some christians think... other christians think... atheists think.... i think...' structure, which usually talks about 2-3 churches' viewpoints in detail, and i usually get 11 or 12.

i doubt you can get someone to mark an essay you do in such a short amount of time, but either way i'd really recommend practicing the 12-markers and trying to work more detail into your answers, as well as learning a lot of terminology, like the doctrine of double effect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (7)
11.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.47%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
42.37%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
23.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.39%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads