This discussion is closed.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
UK-Saudi Arms Trade Motion 2017, TSR Liberal Party

UK-Saudi Arms Trade Motion 2017

The UK-Saudi relationship matters. It has, for instance, allowed us to foil terrorist attacks, directly saving British lives. A prime example of this being the October 2010 discovery at East Midlands airport of a ‘printer-bomb’ on board a US-bound flight. However, our interaction with the country is in other aspects hypocritical, illiberal and damaging in the long term.

There is considerable evidence that British-supplied weapons are being used in Yemen to specifically target civilians and destroy cities. Saudi actions haven’t just destabilised the region, they have also breached international humanitarian law. Our military support has effectively made us complicit in the mentioned wrong doings and as such, this house urges the government to suspend new arms contracts with the country pending independent verification of this evidence.

Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I request a change to an aye, please. I couldn't be bothered to read two paragraphs to get to the point so I just skimmed through it and misjudged the intention at first.

For the future, I suggest you first state the measure and only then try to justify it. Statements like ‘the UK-Saudi relationship matters’ are meaningless.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
I request a change to an aye, please. I couldn't be bothered to read two paragraphs to get to the point so I just skimmed through it and misjudged the intention at first.

For the future, I suggest you first state the measure and only then try to justify it. Statements like ‘the UK-Saudi relationship matters’ are meaningless.
It does say 'Arms Trade Motion'. Thanks for advice and support for the motion however.
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

adam9317 look above^
adam9317
Rep:
?

One nay changed to an aye
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
It does say 'Arms Trade Motion'. Thanks for advice and support for the motion however.
That could surely mean anything concerning arms trade and when the very first sentence implies support for the ‘UK-Saudi relationship’, it can be easily interpreted the other way round.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
adam9317 Could you please change my nay to an aye please - the same reason as Life_peer, weirdly.
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That could surely mean anything concerning arms trade and when the very first sentence implies support for the ‘UK-Saudi relationship’, it can be easily interpreted the other way round.
Oh, I see. That's alright, then.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay. There are huge changes happening in Saudi Arabia (re: bin Salman) and we oughtn't make any significant diplomatic decision regarding the country until it becomes clear what the impact of those changes is going to be.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Nay. There are huge changes happening in Saudi Arabia (re: bin Salman) and we oughtn't make any significant diplomatic decision regarding the country until it becomes clear what the impact of those changes is going to be.
hear hear!
Perhaps you could get your colleagues to side against this terrible motion which will achieve nothing!
adam9317
Rep:
?
(Original post by DMcGovern)
adam9317 Could you please change my nay to an aye please - the same reason as Life_peer, weirdly.
One nay changed to an aye
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A postal Aye has been added for Seat 6, currently being proxied by Matrix123.
username1751857
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
cranbrook_aspie adam9317 you might want to remove an aye because Krollo has voted and he's been permanently replaced by DarkEnergy.
adam9317
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
cranbrook_aspie adam9317 you might want to remove an aye because Krollo has voted and he's been permanently replaced by DarkEnergy.
One Nay [Darkenergy] removed, as Krollo was the original MP
adam9317
Rep:
?
Ayes to the right: 32
Noes to the left: 11
Abstentions: 6
The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!
Turnout: 98%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise