Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ebay scam? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...700815657&rd=1

people apparently sell "links"...do u think it's a scam?

there seems to be a lot of people bidding on it though. i've even see links bid up to as high as £700 or so for a laptop

ReputationRep:
    errr yes!! why would anyone buy a link to a laptop :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valcandy)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...700815657&rd=1

people apparently sell "links"...do u think it's a scam?

there seems to be a lot of people bidding on it though. i've even see links bid up to as high as £700 or so for a laptop
    Well if people wanna bid that's fair enough, I've seen auctions for air guitars...

ReputationRep:
    So your bidding on the link, which if you then "win", have to fork out another £60 for the "Laptop".

To be honest, something seems abit shifty...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Well if people wanna bid that's fair enough, I've seen auctions for air guitars...
    well worth the money if you ask me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice'N'Dice)
    So your bidding on the link, which if you then "win", have to fork out another £60 for the "Laptop".

To be honest, something seems abit shifty...
    yeah that's right...basically you get a link where you can buy that laptop super cheap. there's LOADS of those....

if it's a scam shouldn't ebay sort them out?

ReputationRep:
    yeah that's right...basically you get a link where you can buy that laptop super cheap. there's LOADS of those....

if it's a scam shouldn't ebay sort them out?
    I suppose they can't find & delete every single scam, there must be loads of scams going on.

I reckon they rely on people to report scams to them, or for people to just be carefull & have some common sense..

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ, the internet's crazy.

ReputationRep:
    That's not a scam...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    That's not a scam...
    How do u know?

ReputationRep:
    It's scamriffic. Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    How do u know?
    cos he is the one probably cashing in on the links :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's a scam. Click on the users who have bidded - majority of them are totally new users. This ebay trickster is registering a few accounts and bidding on this item himself, to attract geniune eBay users to think this items worth bidding for since everyone else is doing it, when infact it's just one mastermind over it all.

Report this eBay auction user.

ReputationRep:
    It is LEGIT.. though he hasn't told us the whole deal. Basically he sells you a link in which you can pay £60 an enter a matrix scheme where your name goes on a list of a bout 20 people, when this fills up the 20 people go on a list in which they will receive the laptop and the person at the top of this second list get the laptop, it is a very long process but is completely legit... you can do the same for an ipod for £10 here is the link for free

http://www.mobiles4all.com/htm/phone...one_id=22#list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    It is LEGIT.. though he hasn't told us the whole deal. Basically he sells you a link in which you can pay £60 an enter a matrix scheme where your name goes on a list of a bout 20 people, when this fills up the 20 people go on a list in which they will receive the laptop and the person at the top of this second list get the laptop, it is a very long process but is completely legit... you can do the same for an ipod for £10 here is the link for free

http://www.mobiles4all.com/htm/phone...one_id=22#list
    And we know all about matrix schemes :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    And we know all about matrix schemes :rolleyes:
    really?... because i got a 40gig ipod for £10, but you do have to know loads of people and get them to sign up so you can move up places quickly...

ReputationRep:
    I reckon its dodgy

why would the guy sell the link, when he could just buy a load of the laptops and sell them on???

They wouldn't have people worrying about whether the auction was legit or not and the bids would go higher..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    really?... because i got a 40gig ipod for £10, but you do have to know loads of people and get them to sign up so you can move up places quickly...
    You were lucky. Only the first few people ever get anything from these schemes, otherwise there's simply too many people and not enough money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t47194.html

It wouldn't work. Most of the Ipod / Mobilephone schemes are matrix schemes, which while not as bad a pyramid schemes are still not self sustaining. The con is that you don't need 20 people to joing to get the i pod - you need 20 x the number of people already in the queue. And the longer the queue is, the less likely anyone else is going to join.

Assume it takes 20 people for one person to get the phone. 1 person signs up and then 19 more. The first person now gets his phone. But the 20th person to sign up needs 200 people to sign up to get his phone. It is unlikely 200 people would join the list, but lets say they did. for the 200th person to get their phone they need 4000 sign ups. and for the 4000th person - 80000 sign ups - thats more members than UKL has! It's not as bad as a pyramid scheme or a multi level matrix (both of which are often illegal) but it's still pretty difficult to keep the list going.

If you get in quickly (say top 5) then you might have a chace (this would require 100 sign ups) though above that you are unlikely to get a product. And if you do, you are benefiting from all those lower down in the queue who never will...

ReputationRep:
    which is why these links are sought after, you have to be in the first 10 really to get the product...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.