The Student Room Group

How to get back in shape after a very long time - my body is literally falling apart

I used to be really fit, I loved all kinds of sports, I exercised every single day and so on. I wasn't super 'ripped' but I liked how i looked etc, and generally felt good and healthy. Then stuff happened and I've really let myself go.

Now I'm a complete wreck. I've been depressed for a long time, and abandoned my exercise regime. My body feels so weak, like I have cancer or something. I spend most of my life in bed, to be honest. I take sedatives every day and they make me feel even more tired and sluggish. Even a short walk gives me heart palpitations. Seriously, it's crazy. I've tried to go back to my old regime but it's not working, I just can't.

What I need help with is - where do I start? Like what kind of exercises would you recommend to someone like me? How often? How long? No gym please (but I've a crosstrainer if that helps).

I don't know why but even long walks with my dog make no difference - what I mean is that after months of walking my dog, it shouldn't make me tired anymore, right? But it does... I weigh 43kg/95pounds so I'm not fat. It's just like my body can't handle any physical exercise anymore
So what do I doooo Please help :colonhash:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You're male and weigh 43kg. That's probably why you feel awful as you're way too light

Build up the walking, progress that cardio and get strength training in. You can do this by buying DBs etc.
I'd strongly recommend purchasing a gym membership but you don't 'have' to.
Reply 2
Original post by Unistudent77
You're male and weigh 43kg. That's probably why you feel awful as you're way too light

Build up the walking, progress that cardio and get strength training in. You can do this by buying DBs etc.
I'd strongly recommend purchasing a gym membership but you don't 'have' to.

Hmm yeah, I probably don't eat as much as I should. Didn't really realise that my weight can contribute to the tiredness etc. It's quite troublesome because I really don't like the prospect of having to eat more.
Gym is out of question, at least for now, unfortunately (for anxiety reasons) but will try other things.. How many minutes of exercise would you recommend for the first few weeks? Or do I just exercise for as long as I can without dying lol? Not sure which approach is best... do I start slow or...?
>43kg

School girls are literally heavier than you. Are you like 5'2?
nd jog like 13 km. Nice and chill i barely notice the time go by
Reply 5
Original post by coup detat+
>43kg

School girls are literally heavier than you. Are you like 5'2?

Nah, I'm taller than that. I'm naturally quite slim but I'm not going to lie, I just don't eat a lot nowadays. Which is probably why.
Reply 6
Original post by BashCrash
nd jog like 13 km. Nice and chill i barely notice the time go by

13km would probably kill me :h: But good for you!
Original post by Ciel.
Nah, I'm taller than that. I'm naturally quite slim but I'm not going to lie, I just don't eat a lot nowadays. Which is probably why.

How tall?
sorry i said just put on some good music when ur abit stressed or need some alone time and jog for a while, and jog, doesnt havbe to be intense, try dodging people without touching them to make it fun
when i did it at first i kept hitting them but ran off so it aint awks. im now so good i rarely touch anyone.
looked like a bragging post soz. But yeah music and light jogging is super chill
Reply 9
How tall?

5'7
also find a sport u love
Maybe make yourself a small schedule, and alter it as you can.

Week 1 - each day speed walk for 5 minutes and then slow walk for 5 minutes. Repeat this 2 times, so you do 30 mins of walking a day.

Week 2 - Each day speed walk 10 minutes and slow walk for 5 minutes. Repeat this 2 times, so you do 45 minutes of walking a day.

And just alter it if you think its too much/little for you. Eat more high energy foods (look at nhs website) and drink lots of water!
Original post by Ciel.
5'7

My dude, most 5'7 girls I know are at least 50kg. You need to be at least 55kg, preferably 60kg+.

Eat.
How I should your body literally falling apart, or are you speaking figuragely

You are depressed, not eating and therefore have no energy. Can you get your mental health sorted? You need to eat more good fats.
Reply 14
Original post by lmessage1
Maybe make yourself a small schedule, and alter it as you can.

Week 1 - each day speed walk for 5 minutes and then slow walk for 5 minutes. Repeat this 2 times, so you do 30 mins of walking a day.

Week 2 - Each day speed walk 10 minutes and slow walk for 5 minutes. Repeat this 2 times, so you do 45 minutes of walking a day.

And just alter it if you think its too much/little for you. Eat more high energy foods (look at nhs website) and drink lots of water!

I walk my dog every day, (so that's like an hour walk every day) but maybe will try something similar with the crosstrainer. I mean, it'll probably be easier than one long session.

My dude, most 5'7 girls I know are at least 50kg. You need to be at least 55kg, preferably 60kg+.

Eat.

The heaviest weight I've ever been was around 58kg, and I looked kind of fat. I actually went on a pretty strict diet back then. But that was back in high school. I'm not trying to lose weight intentionally now or anything. I just have no appetite.
You are critically underweight which is probably why you feel so weak.
Reply 16
Original post by Fermion.
You are critically underweight which is probably why you feel so weak.

Let's not exaggerate. My weight isn't really the issue here. The reason why I feel weak is because I've stopped exercising regularly, a long time ago, so my body is just lazy now.
Original post by Ciel.
Let's not exaggerate. My weight isn't really the issue here. The reason why I feel weak is because I've stopped exercising regularly, a long time ago, so my body is just lazy now.

Your weight is 100% the issue, you're 95 lbs as a 5'7 male that is medically underweight, you need to eat more and ideally go see a medical professional especially if you're getting heart palpitations.
Original post by Ciel.

Im not exaggerating, according to the NHS you are critically underweight so you need to go to the nutritionist and get that fixed, then start to build muscle and regain your strength.
Your weight is absolutely the issue. 95lbs at 5'7" is very low I'm not surprised you feel incredibly weak and under-energised. To put it in perspective, I'm only 4 inches taller than you but almost twice your bodyweight. Unless you change your diet and put on weight you will make very little progress with exercise. If you can't do this on your own then you really need to get professional help from a nutritionist etc - being critically underweight during your teens can have long-lasting consequences on your health and development.

Quick Reply

Latest