C2 urgent trig question help

Watch this thread
Butterflyshy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Name:  WhatsApp Image 2017-03-23 at 20.52.23.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  104.7 KB

I need help with question 11. For part (a) I managed to answer it by trial and error. I need someone to explain how to do these questions. One thing I do know is the that the values of cos and sin are between -1 and 1.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Butterflyshy)
Name:  WhatsApp Image 2017-03-23 at 20.52.23.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  104.7 KB

I need help with question 11. For part (a) I managed to answer it by trial and error. I need someone to explain how to do these questions. One thing I do know is the that the values of cos and sin are between -1 and 1.
The minimum value of both sin(x) and cos(x) is -1, similarly the maximum value of both is 1. How can we use that information to determine a minimum and maximum value of y, and hence the values for x for which this value of y occurs?
Butterflyshy
Rep:
(Original post by _gcx)
The minimum value of both sin(x) and cos(x) is -1, similarly the maximum value of both is 1. How can we use that information to determine a minimum and maximum value of y, and hence the values for x for which this value of y occurs?
Sorry to bother but can you help me go through part b.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Sorry to bother but can you help me go through part b.
The minimum value of sin(3x-45) is -1. How can we use this to get a minimum value of y? (try substituting)
Butterflyshy
Rep:
(Original post by _gcx)
The minimum value of sin(3x-45) is -1. How can we use this to get a minimum value of y? (try substituting)
how did you get sin(3x-45)
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
how did you get sin(3x-45)
He confused (c) and (b). Anyway for (b), you have something of the form y = 5 - 4a where a = \sin(x+ 30). Now you want to make y as big as possible. Since y is of the form 5 - 4a, you want to then make 4a as small as possible since then you're subtracting the smallest number possible from 5, hence giving you the biggest y possible.

Now to make 4a as small as possible, you simply need to see how small a can get, then multiply that value by 4 to see how small 4a can get.

Since a = sin(x+30), which at it's very smallest is -1. Then 4a at it's very smallest is -4.

So y = 5 - 4a is at it's biggest when y = 5-(-4) = 9. That's the maximum.

Similarly to make y as small as possible, we want to make a as big as possible so that you're subtracting the biggest number possible from 5 to get the smallest y possible. Blah blah blah...

can you see the general techniques here, all it relies on is the fact that sin and cos are bounded between -1 and 1 and then using common sense to find the maximum and minimum of functions involving sines and cosines.

Let me know if this needs more clearing up...
Butterflyshy
Rep:
(Original post by Zacken)
He confused (c) and (b). Anyway for (b), you have something of the form y = 5 - 4a where a = \sin(x+ 30). Now you want to make y as big as possible. Since y is of the form 5 - 4a, you want to then make 4a as small as possible since then you're subtracting the smallest number possible from 5, hence giving you the biggest y possible.

Now to make 4a as small as possible, you simply need to see how small a can get, then multiply that value by 4 to see how small 4a can get.

Since a = sin(x+30), which at it's very smallest is -1. Then 4a at it's very smallest is -4.

So y = 5 - 4a is at it's biggest when y = 5-(-4) = 9. That's the maximum.

Similarly to make y as small as possible, we want to make a as big as possible so that you're subtracting the biggest number possible from 5 to get the smallest y possible. Blah blah blah...

can you see the general techniques here, all it relies on is the fact that sin and cos are bounded between -1 and 1 and then using common sense to find the maximum and minimum of functions involving sines and cosines.

Let me know if this needs more clearing up...

Thanks so much
Zacken
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thanks so much
No problem.
Butterflyshy
Rep:
No problem.
I now understand where the values of y occur but how would find the values of x. For example the max and min for part a are 2 and 0 and they occur at 90 degrees and 180 degrees?
Zacken
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I now understand where the values of y occur but how would find the values of x. For example the max and min for part a are 2 and 0 and they occur at 90 degrees and 180 degrees?
Well to find the max of y, you had to set sin (x+30) = 1. Now you solve this equation for x.

Like wise for min and sin(x+30) = -1
Butterflyshy
Rep:
Well to find the max of y, you had to set sin (x+30) = 1. Now you solve this equation for x.

Like wise for min and sin(x+30) = -1
Thanks I'm getting the right answer.
Zacken
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thanks I'm getting the right answer.
Great.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (48)
49.48%
The paper was reasonable (37)
38.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (8)
8.25%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads