Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Marking errors on results day watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to scare, but has anyone given this any thought? The fact that if a marker ballses up marking one of your papers and you end up getting a lower score than you should get resulting in a lower grade? It's all very well happening earlier in the year because you can send off for re-marks etc, but if you have to get certain grades to satisfy a uni offer, you're a bit screwed aren't you? Cos by the time all the re-mark malarky has got you the real grade, your uni place has been filled already! I know of one person this has happened to, and he ended up having to take a whole year out cos of some stupid marker who couldn't do what they're supposed to do. I also know of someone who got a U in a module (exam board OCR) and had it re-marked and got an A! Ok so I probably shouldn't even think about stuff like this, but it's pretty damn worrying nonetheless!

Sorry if I scared anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    I don't mean to scare, but has anyone given this any thought? The fact that if a marker ballses up marking one of your papers and you end up getting a lower score than you should get resulting in a lower grade? It's all very well happening earlier in the year because you can send off for re-marks etc, but if you have to get certain grades to satisfy a uni offer, you're a bit screwed aren't you? Cos by the time all the re-mark malarky has got you the real grade, your uni place has been filled already! I know of one person this has happened to, and he ended up having to take a whole year out cos of some stupid marker who couldn't do what they're supposed to do. I also know of someone who got a U in a module (exam board OCR) and had it re-marked and got an A! Ok so I probably shouldn't even think about stuff like this, but it's pretty damn worrying nonetheless!

Sorry if I scared anyone
    you added another dimension to my daily nightmares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    you added another dimension to my daily nightmares
    same here, esp with that bit about going from a u to an a

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope this doesn't occur often (I doubt it does)

Take it easy, there's not long left now, if it happens then that's the way it is
    I'd thank them for not doing it on my papers of course :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    last year some of my friends who were receiving results just weren't sent any for geography and the universities refused to take them seriously so they ended up having to go through clearing. Just another horror story....
    I would imagine that the more mistakes made previous years, the less will be made this year as the exam boards will be a lot more cafeful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercover-ange)
    last year some of my friends who were receiving results just weren't sent any for geography and the universities refused to take them seriously so they ended up having to go through clearing. Just another horror story....

:eek: :eek:

oh my god, that's really bad!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to wonder if this happened to me in my first year - in Physics I got two Es on my tests I retook them in January and got an A and a C. I'm definetly questioning dodgy marks this year.

ReputationRep:
    IVE WORKED IT ALL OUT!! i've never *really* failed a paper or got a really bad mark its always been a marking error! thank you people! you've made my day ...or thats what i'm *thinking* anyhow...if my brain is happy, i am happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucykins)
    IVE WORKED IT ALL OUT!! i've never *really* failed a paper or got a really bad mark its always been a marking error! thank you people! you've made my day ...or thats what i'm *thinking* anyhow...if my brain is happy, i am happy
    Ignorance is Bliss

ReputationRep:
    that makes me the happiest person around

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that the more mistakes made previous years, the less will be made this year as the exam boards will be a lot more cafeful.
    *rocks back and forth slowly, contemplating all the bad things that could happen*

maybe the road by school will be busy on results day, then if it all goes wrong i could, in a daze, just walk into the road

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    Ignorance is Bliss
    indeed it is, and how i wish i would remain ignorant forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    maybe the road by school will be busy on results day, then if it all goes wrong i could, in a daze, just walk into the road
    That would be ironic if you got good results.
    It would also be a very sad thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Cos by the time all the re-mark malarky has got you the real grade, your uni place has been filled already! I know of one person this has happened to, and he ended up having to take a whole year out cos of some stupid marker who couldn't do what they're supposed to do.

Sorry if I scared anyone
    i think these cases are the absolute exception out of 100s of thousands of students.

there's the speedy exam clerical check/remark option especially for people who have dependent university places - i would have thought your 6th form/school would have mentioned this or they will do on results day. & if there is a huge discrepancy between modules or predictions then go for this & the uni should be sympathetic (& may have already wondered about this with their time wioth your results) as if subsequently you do make the offer then they're obliged to take you.

i think you did scare people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    same here, esp with that bit about going from a u to an a
    that happened to one of my mates who was doing a level ict!

ReputationRep:
    You have until the end of August to achieve your offer. Regardless of what the university has recieved from UCAS, if you have achieved the required grades they are obliged to confirm your place.

This also means, if you can get a remark done quick enough you will be able to confirm your place. I would assume these tales of U's being remarked to A's are actually cases of the paper being lost, and then only found when being dug out of their filing systems for the remark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    I would assume these tales of U's being remarked to A's are actually cases of the paper being lost, and then only found when being dug out of their filing systems for the remark.
    Or somebody not entering the information right. (my history teacher told us about someone who got 7 for a paper. When they went to remark it, they realised that it should have been entered as 73 or something like that :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    last year some of my friends who were receiving results just weren't sent any for geography and the universities refused to take them seriously so they ended up having to go through clearing. .
    oh god oh god.. really i do geog? this gives me a whole new thing to freak out on.. last year i know that 3 different papers had to remarked last summer. and i sent off to have a january module re marked and it went from a low c to an high A. HONESTLY THE MARKERS HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THERE DOING.

ReputationRep:
    I've figured that if I get a bad grade I'll probably be really mad and knock over a few tables and/ or chairs. Then I'll blame it on the exam board. A few weeks later I will grudginly admit that the bad grade was in fact entirley my fault.

Be warned: I've done it before I'll do it again

ReputationRep:
    It happened to me and it was on a maths paper which one would think it would be very clear cut to mark. It's amazing what 3 marks difference can make - in my case a gap year

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.