rosiehgoodwin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all, I'm trying to decide whether to go to UCA or Southampton Solent for film production and wondered if anyone had any experiences to share? Was wondering how quiet it actually is in Farnham and whether or not it feels like a proper uni experience with the small campus? And also how SS is with it being a new course or anything? Anything about either would be really helpful, thank you!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rosiehgoodwin)
Hi all, I'm trying to decide whether to go to UCA or Southampton Solent for film production and wondered if anyone had any experiences to share? Was wondering how quiet it actually is in Farnham and whether or not it feels like a proper uni experience with the small campus? And also how SS is with it being a new course or anything? Anything about either would be really helpful, thank you!
KBradders is at solent at the moment (though I think for TV not film)

stefanguti was posting about deciding between UCA Farnham and Sussex last week (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4605956 ) and so might be able to help or at least go through pros and cons with you

have a look in both uni subforums too Southampton Solent University and University for the Creative Arts to chat to current students/applicants
KBradders
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry can't speak for the film course at Southampton Solent as I have nothing to do with it.

But in terms of available work experience within the media/film/TV area - there is a lot of it through Solent TV, Solent Productions, and Solent Creatives. Some of this is also paid. There are opportunities to film at music festivals such as Glastonbury, I've filmed with Viewpress on outside broadcasts for horse trials and through alumni I managed to be a studio stand-in for a new food show with Michel Roux Jr. Solent Creatives have some interesting jobs available and a friend of mine managed to go on a Cunard cruise to film - and he got paid!

I was also at Bournemouth University for first year and I know they have been starting up a few film courses - but I don't recommend the university at all. It made me very miserable and the final nail in the coffin was that I was forced in 5 days after surgery when I had a 2 week sick note. It's not a university that cares for your welfare that's for certain - and if you fancied studying abroad then the staff are beyond useless when it comes to giving you information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (55)
60.44%
No (36)
39.56%

Watched Threads