The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

For anyone deciding to take economics modules

I recieved this today in my warwick email:

Economics Dept
Due to the unexpectedly high first-year intake for 2007-08 Economics courses and
generally high numbers in the second and third years, the Department of Economics
has taken the decision to introduce capping of numbers on several of our modules.

The modules that will be affected are:

EC104 The World Economy: History and Theory

EC112 The Industrial Economy

EC220 Mathematical Economics 1

EC221 Mathematical Economics 2

EC312 International Economics

EC333 Topics in Financial Economics: Theories and International Finance

EC334 Topics in Financial Economics: Corporate Finance and Markets

We will operate a ballot, on a first-come, first-served basis, which will be open
from today, Monday 24th September at 4.30pm to Sunday 7th October. All students not
based in the Department of Economics, and who have not already pre-registered for a
particular option, will need to access the following web page to enter into the
ballot for the above modules:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/modules/ballot/

After the ballot closes, we will allocate places on modules to those who have
entered into the ballot. This will be done on a strictly first-come, first-served
basis. The Department of Economics will contact the students who have entered into
the ballot as soon as possible to let them know the outcome. Each department
involved will also be sent a list of the students who have successfully gained a
place on one of the above modules. Please ensure that you adjust the OMR records of
your students accordingly.

Please note that students who have already pre-registered for these modules in the
summer term have their place on the module confirmed and do not need to enter into
the ballot.

Mrs Kelly Taylor

Teaching Programmes Manager
Department of Economics

--
Message sent by Academic Group Email system at the University of Warwick
See https://secure.admin.warwick.ac.uk/age/open/whatIs.jsp

Download this as a file

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:eek: Ive heard good things about Eco + History, but dont want to rush my decision. :frown:

This might get to more people in the economics thread by the way.
http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346182

Oh and forgive me, just how do i get to my warwick email account? :redface:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
The only modules out of those that first years can take are World Econ and Industrial. For Pure Econ students World Econ is compulsory so dont worry about that, its only PPE and outside people that need to worry about getting a place. Industrial is a "department option" and therefore econ students will get priority in taking it, but its cap is not that high, so if you really want to take it, then get in early.

Forte, to get to the email go to smail.warwick.ac.uk
Lol I'm glad there are people like you who check these things ... never would have occured to me to check until it would undoubtedly have been too late :redface:
Reply 4
hi, im wondering whether you guys could help me on this one. I'm very much aware of the ballot, the only problem being that, when i go on it the part where it says ''Please choose the Department in which you are based'', the Politics department isn't listed so i write it in where it says ''If your Department is not given above, please specify here'', but when i click on send form it doesn't accept because ive left the ''Please choose the Department in which you are based'' part blank?? what do i do lol??
Reply 5
so do we have to do anything if we are doing Economics and want to do one of those?
oh and the ones i wanna take (the last 2) appear as 3rd year choices for us economists? can we take them early?
Reply 6
abrp
so do we have to do anything if we are doing Economics and want to do one of those?
oh and the ones i wanna take (the last 2) appear as 3rd year choices for us economists? can we take them early?

No you cannot take 3rd year choices in your first year. abrp, youre doing pure econ so the world economy module is already compulsory. If you want to do a Finance related module i suggest you take Foundations of Accounting and Finance from the Business school. Go to www.wbs.ac.uk for details. Mind you this course is always oversubscribed so you need to get in there as early as possible. I recommend emailing WBS now and asking them to already register you for the module.
Reply 7
is there plenty of maths involved? i haaaaaaate maths :frown:
Reply 8
abrp

Loser :rolleyes:
Reply 9
abrp

You got in for pure econ, and you hate maths? Mate youre going to have a hard time with the course if you hate maths...
Reply 10
Let me get this straight. For L100 first year, we have 4 cumpolsary modules and 1 optional module?
__WiZaRD__
You got in for pure econ, and you hate maths? Mate youre going to have a hard time with the course if you hate maths...

heh...ill survive. i dont hate it..just i know its not going to be my most favorite module. The Econ History one looks awesome though.
besides...not liking something doesnt mean you cant be ok-quite good at it (for example i hated music and would have finished g8 if it wasnt for summer A-levels...had to be content with g7, 2 1st places and a couple of 2nd + 3rd in competitions).
@ Forte...2 optional ones i though :s-smilie:?
zrancis
Loser :rolleyes:

:five:
Reply 13
abrp
@ Forte...2 optional ones i though :s-smilie:?

Your probably right :p: i really need to read up on all this some time soonish...

Its difficult finding out more about the actual modules, since the uni isnt exactly going to tell us what to go for and what to avoid. Care to shed some light on this wizard? What did you do?

Also, i did Mechanics instead of Statistics last year in math. Does anyone with some experience reckon its worth me reading up on this prior, (prior being tomorrow lol) or is the pure enough to get me by knowledge-wise.
Reply 14
Forté

Also, i did Mechanics instead of Statistics last year in math. Does anyone with some experience reckon its worth me reading up on this prior, (prior being tomorrow lol) or is the pure enough to get me by knowledge-wise.

You don't need any stats knowledge, they teach you everything from scratch, but its pretty fast paced. Stats doesnt start till term 2 anyway.
The pure knowledge required is again not a lot, but they do go fairly fast, but I found pure much more interesting.

Forte was right, its 4 core modules and 1 optional module. I took Accounting and Finance and would say the finance part of it is interesting definitely, but the accounting i found boring. The business school is also really gay sometimes and the exam was really hard, with a lot of people having to do re-takes. Generally A&F (even though its an easy module on paper) people don't do that well in (comparatively to the rest of their modules).
I didn't do industrial, but I hear its like a mix of micro and world econ.
World Economy is a great module, and we have Nick Crafts who is one of the best lecturers in the Econ department i would say, and a world authority on Economic History. However, the volumes to learn are pretty big, and when it comes to exams people tend to be overwhelmed by just how much there is to remember. Tutors even advise to only revise 6 topics out of ten, as doing all ten is unrealistic. But, the content of the module is very interesting, and the lecture rooms are always packed (unlike micro..cough).
Reply 15
Splinter
You don't need any stats knowledge, they teach you everything from scratch, but its pretty fast paced. Stats doesnt start till term 2 anyway.
The pure knowledge required is again not a lot, but they do go fairly fast, but I found pure much more interesting.

Forte was right, its 4 core modules and 1 optional module. I took Accounting and Finance and would say the finance part of it is interesting definitely, but the accounting i found boring. The business school is also really gay sometimes and the exam was really hard, with a lot of people having to do re-takes. Generally A&F (even though its an easy module on paper) people don't do that well in (comparatively to the rest of their modules).
I didn't do industrial, but I hear its like a mix of micro and world econ.
World Economy is a great module, and we have Nick Crafts who is one of the best lecturers in the Econ department i would say, and a world authority on Economic History. However, the volumes to learn are pretty big, and when it comes to exams people tend to be overwhelmed by just how much there is to remember. Tutors even advise to only revise 6 topics out of ten, as doing all ten is unrealistic. But, the content of the module is very interesting, and the lecture rooms are always packed (unlike micro..cough).

cheers for the response. ive repped :yy:

"The business school is also really gay sometimes"
Please explain lol. Not that im doubting you at all, the business school is one of the major reasons why i chose warwick :eek:

Accounting and finance has got me thinking, ive pretty much got no choice if im serious about getting into IB anyway lol. As you said it seems easy on paper, im just struggling to understand how it could have turned out to be so tough. Maybe im being naive, but arent you just remembering processes in that module, that you have to regurgitate in exam? Speaking of which, what would you say are the major differences between A level and uni exams? (So many questions so little time :biggrin: )

And LOL @ the micro comment. I absolutely loath it! Apart from game theory, i just find it all mind numbingly boring, just a difficult memory test tbh - and i thought it was just me!
Forté

Accounting and finance has got me thinking, ive pretty much got no choice if im serious about getting into IB anyway lol.

i thought you were interested in international econ/working for the IMF/world bank etc forte? it's an interesting comment you made about IB though, if we're serious about that career should we be forcing ourselves to try and get on that module? or would it really not make that much of a difference if i did something else that i found equally if not more interesting? thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Forté
cheers for the response. ive repped :yy:

"The business school is also really gay sometimes"
Please explain lol. Not that im doubting you at all, the business school is one of the major reasons why i chose warwick :eek:

What I meant is that they do not function like the rest of the econ department, in terms of structuring exams, how they mark, moderate etc. Like the econ department would think that maybe they did something wrong if like 20% of people failed an exam, yet the business school seems to think its normal.
They also have a tendency to set questions which they haven't really directly taught you, but have in fact given you the correct tools to work them out. I know its whiney, but they should be trying to test whether you know something at this point, and not whether you can make an intellectual leap in a finance question, which is more what a maths exam should be. Meh, maybe its just me. On the other hand, the WBS is very well organised and efficient.
The reason why people find A and F hard is because the module is not really spoon-fed as such. You get very limited practice at actually doing accounting and financial questions, and when it gets to the exam most people find that they know all the theory but under time constraints find the questions difficult to manage. If you go and buy lots of outside literature and practice lots of accounting questions then u should be ok, but the business school examiners to like to throw in some questions designed to trick you. Management account as a part of that module is taught badly in my opinion and they made it one third of the exam last year, which meant that most people really struggled on that part.
I too thought like you that it should be easy...and it is....just not the exam lol. (some people actually came out of it crying :p: )

In terms of going into IB, i wouldn't say its hugely useful, you can learn most of the stuff you need for it on your own and in less time, but i guess it saves time doing it this way. A much more useful module is Principles of Finance in the Second year, as it doesnt have all that accounting rubbish (sorry i have just really grown to dislike accounting for accounting's sake)

I remember going into a Micro lecture one day in the Second term, and there were around 25 people in the entire lecture room. Compared to a full 300+ in world econ.
thanks for clearing that up splinter :smile: (and all your other advice)
Reply 19
That ballot applicaton page asks for our 9 digit Student Number, it isnt my Uni ID because that's 7 digits, so is it our Ucas Number??