Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if anyone else has a favourite national anthem or has anything to say about our own (which I think is slightly dreary even if patriotic!). The soviet national anthem is one of the most uplifting examples I can think of. It's words really seem to reflect a great deal of spirit.

Lyrics in English

The American anthem is also quite moving, I wish there were more anthems like these.

ReputationRep:
    our national anthem is pathetic!
    how sodding depressing!

ReputationRep:
    Brazil! Brazil!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    how sodding depressing!
    It is, I could never bring myself to learn it much, I always seem to murmur along with other people if I ever have to

(Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Brazil! Brazil!
    That's great! A lot of south american/african countries seem to have really brilliant anthems *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    It is, I could never bring myself to learn it much, I always seem to murmur along with other people if I ever have to

That's great! A lot of south american/african countries seem to have really brilliant anthems *sigh*
    me neither....i have no idea what the words are to ours and even if i did know them im sure singing it would reduce me to tears (and not patriotic tears) :mad:

i think our national anthem should be sex pistols god save the queen...just to scare all the other countries when its played at full volume at the olympics

ReputationRep:
    me neither....i have no idea what the words are to ours and even if i did know them im sure singing it would reduce me to tears (and not patriotic tears) :mad:

i think our national anthem should be sex pistols god save the queen...just to scare all the other countries when its played at full volume at the olympics
    I'd back that (is kewl!)
    Then again, I'd back almost any tune over our anthem...

ReputationRep:
    how sodding depressing!
    How about Land of Hope and Glory from Pomp and Circumstance by Elgar.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think our national anthem is at all dreary and depressing. It seems that way because it's ours. In the same way that a toy seemed really really great until you actually had it, everyone else's anthems seem more exiting and uplifting.

Also if we brits were even a smidgen as patriotic as the Yanks or the Aussies, we would love our national anthem anyway - just because it's ours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    I don't think our national anthem is at all dreary and depressing. It seems that way because it's ours. In the same way that a toy seemed really really great until you actually had it, everyone else's anthems seem more exiting and uplifting.

Also if we brits were even a smidgen as patriotic as the Yanks or the Aussies, we would love our national anthem anyway - just because it's ours!
    no i think i can put my hand on my heart and say our national anthem makes me want to tear my ears off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    :confused:

But Land of Hope and Glory is your National Anthem. Just like Scotland has Flower of Scotland, Wales has Land of OUr Fathers and Ireland has Amhran na bhFiann...

You should be proud of Land of Hope and Glory as I am of Amhran na bhFiann.

That other nonsense you were referring to is not a national anthem as such. Personally I view it as even less than that. I view it as a source of deep offence and anger for the nationalistically minded people of the British Isles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    that would be a lot better than God save our dear Queen :rolleyes:
    honestly, whats it going to sound like with king in it?!

i agree...brazil is so good. the british one has no rhythm to it and sounds like a funerale march

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    sounds like a funerale march
    That would be apt for some of our sports events

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Amhran na bhFiann.
    That's a nasty cough you've got there.

ReputationRep:
    Officially, the UK doesn't have a national anthem. The de facto national anthem God save the Queen does suck, but it would be improved it they reinstated the verse no one seems to sing anymore:

O Lord, our God, arise,
    Scatter thine enemies,
    And make them fall:
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On thee our hopes we fix:
    God save us all.

Personally, I reckon the French and the German national anthems are not bad (although the old words for the latter were better than the present one). The Star Spangled banner is even worse than ours, even the name is incredibly lame.

ReputationRep:
    anthems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sisyphus)
    Officially, the UK doesn't have a national anthem. The de facto national anthem God save the Queen does suck, but it would be improved it they reinstated the verse no one seems to sing anymore:

O Lord, our God, arise,
    Scatter thine enemies,
    And make them fall:
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On thee our hopes we fix:
    God save us all.

Personally, I reckon the French and the German national anthems are not bad (although the old words for the latter were better than the present one). The Star Spangled banner is even worse than ours, even the name is incredibly lame.
    I like ours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I like ours.
    If you didn't say that Bush would probably have you sent to Cuba to be locked in an open cage...

ReputationRep:
    Italy all the way, or maybe turkey, sounds communist, which is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    that would be a lot better than God save our dear Queen :rolleyes:
    honestly, whats it going to sound like with king in it?!

i agree...brazil is so good. the british one has no rhythm to it and sounds like a funerale march
    It was written as 'God Save our King' actually But I agree, it's crap and dull. Sorry, but it is... T'would indeed be better to have something like Land of Hope and Glory - much more uplifting and more fun to belt out.

Pol - a source of deep offence and anger for the nationalistically minded people of the British Isles?! I'm a nationalistically minded person of the British Isles - English and proud of it - and it's never made me angry... Just bored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    :confused:

You should be proud of Land of Hope and Glory as I am of Amhran na bhFiann.

agreed!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.