Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Pol - a source of deep offence and anger for the nationalistically minded people of the British Isles?! I'm a nationalistically minded person of the British Isles - English and proud of it - and it's never made me angry... Just bored
    What he is trying to point out, is that Land of Hope and Glory is already played for certain sporting events, and that God Save the Queen is for the UK as a whole.

Where it becomes odd, is that in the Olympics we compete as Great Britain, and play God Save the Queen. In rugby championships we compete as England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and we still use God Save the Queen for England. Land of Hope and Glory however appeared to be played for England at the Commonwealth games.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I hate "God save the Queen", love "Mae hen wlad fy nhadau", and would be French just so I could sing "La Marseilleise" whenever I got the chance. It's so uplifting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    If you didn't say that Bush would probably have you sent to Cuba to be locked in an open cage...
    no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    well in canada, we have 2 national anthems, "O Canada" and "God save the queen"

Now, god save the queen isnt that bad, O Canada is pretty bad too though, dosnt at all reflect the nation, as does god save the queen.

i think britain should have 2 national anthems, god save the queen and somethin else.

ReputationRep:
    i thought the national anthem was i vow to thee my country :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    locked in an open cage...
    :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    A few years ago we tried to change ours to "Waltzing Matilda"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    A few years ago we tried to change ours to "Waltzing Matilda"
    Thats what they sing at the rugby matches tho isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Thats what they sing at the rugby matches tho isnt it?
    It sure is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    It sure is!
    I always think the name 'waltzing matilda' sounds like some sort of paedophile code for child snatching.....sure it isnt tho

ReputationRep:
    french one isn't too bad
    did anyone listen to the olympic one?? it went on for ages!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    :confused: :confused:
    Locked in a cage of meshed metal (i.e. open to the elements but very definitely locked!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    I always think the name 'waltzing matilda' sounds like some sort of paedophile code for child snatching.....sure it isnt tho
    From what I gather, it's about some tramp who falls in love with a sheep :confused:

Weird Aussies!

ReputationRep:
    They all sound the same to me. crap

ReputationRep:
    I like the Vatian's anthem! It was called March Pontificale by Gounod but I don't know if its name was changed to suit the Pontifex Maximus :confused: Its very nice anyway

ReputationRep:
    israels national anthem is called "onward christian soldiers"

ReputationRep:
    It'll be interesting when the Queen dies to see whether anyone remembers to substitute "God save the Queen" for "God save the King". Mind you the very idea of King Charles is very weird...

ReputationRep:
    Charles doesnt seem like hed be great at being a king (then again what do u have 2 do?) but i can imagine hed be pretty upset after wating ages for the queen to die. Actually it'd be pretty funny to see his face if he didn't get to be king!

Does anyone get mad about footballers (or anyone actually) not singing the national anthem at the world cup or euro 2004? My ex boyfriend got really angry at them but surely it's their choice and they don't have to agree with it? It is uplifting I suppose to sing but just because they're representing their country they dont have to agree with the monarchy or even feel like singing before an important game.
    What do people think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    i thought the national anthem was i vow to thee my country :confused:
    Lots of people say it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm rather fond of GSTQ. Yes it is rather sombre, but then again I think national anthems shouldn't be overly chirpy. As for an English anthem, while I like Land of Hope and Glory I don't think it should be the anthem. I'd go for Jerusalem or I Vow To Thee My Country.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.