Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Rule Britannia

ReputationRep:
    Musically, I like "O, Canada" best, although, it only sounds good with a male singing it.

If you want to base it on emotion and uplifting lyrics, the Star Spangled Banner is really moving. And interestingly enough, I recently read that the American and Dutch anthems are the only ones that never mention the countries they represent.

ReputationRep:
    I like the French one, la Marseillaise. Gruesome and patriotic....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Personally, I'm rather fond of GSTQ. Yes it is rather sombre, but then again I think national anthems shouldn't be overly chirpy. As for an English anthem, while I like Land of Hope and Glory I don't think it should be the anthem. I'd go for Jerusalem or I Vow To Thee My Country.
    Jerusalem would be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLiberal)
    israels national anthem is called "onward christian soldiers"
    sod of u git, it's called Ha Tikva (the hope) and there ain`t an inch of christianity in it. and its much cooler than the british anthem :-)

ReputationRep:
    If you're really proud of your country anyway then surely singing it or hearing it at a major sporting event is uplifting enough regardless of how good it is technically? In terms of how musically good they are, the French national anthem is by far the best in my opinion, but nothing makes me prouder than going to an England football match and singing my national anthem, even if it is 'a little bit dreary'.

I'm not a big Rugby fan, but when I saw us line up in the World Cup final and Dallaglio and Johnson were crying and belting out the national anthem I felt great, and again - that word - proud.

And yes, as someone else has said, it's a shame footballers are no longer this emotional at international football events. What I'd give to see someone in the line up singing the national anthem at the top of their voice - no ones done that since Tony Adams.

Sounds a bit funny, but that's how I feel - oh, and incase you're wondering - I bloody hate the monarchy but that's not the point. It's my national anthem and I'll sing it loud and sing it proud regardless of it's scripture or meaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    Jerusalem would be good
    I'm leaning towards "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I've got love in my tummy".

ReputationRep:
    Its not that bad and its not like we have to sing it every day or even learn the words.

I do much prefer Land of Hope and Glory to God Save the Queen but I think thats because i don't really believe in God or to a certain extent having a Queen.

At least i provides some entertainment at sporting evebts to see who tries to mumble along and who just gives up and tries to hide it with tears.

ReputationRep:
    none of you UK ppl on here seem to believe in God. Looks like the jews have rolled you over already. I pity your souless existence.

ReputationRep:
    none of you UK ppl on here seem to believe in God. Looks like the jews have rolled you over already. I pity your souless existence.
    *waits for a NI person to see this*

ReputationRep:
    must try harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    must try harder.
    I thought people in Northern Ireland went to church more than football matches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    How about Land of Hope and Glory from Pomp and Circumstance by Elgar.
    Speaking as a Sweede I can honestly say that that would be my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you truly do beleive in a Christian god should you not be a bit worried about your afterlife seing as you have commited quite a few deadly sins on these pages? Surely you are not going to heaven with your present attitude...

ReputationRep:
    do us all a favor and cease to flap your gums

ReputationRep:
    I love God Save The Queen. Its the best National Anthem in the world. The marselithingamajig the french sing is appalling. The only decent bit is the drum roll (pictures cannons killing frenchmen). Anyway the only decent frog is a dead frog. 52 members of my immediate family line (there have probably been more but records only go back to the 1690's) have been killed by the french. :mad: I like nor admire anything about them apart from how easily they die.

For me its either God Save The Queen or Rule Britannia. We rule and the songs rule!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    I love God Save The Queen. Its the best National Anthem in the world. The marselithingamajig the french sing is appalling. The only decent bit is the drum roll (pictures cannons killing frenchmen). Anyway the only decent frog is a dead frog. 52 members of my immediate family line (there have probably been more but records only go back to the 1690's) have been killed by the french. :mad: I like nor admire anything about them apart from how easily they die.

For me its either God Save The Queen or Rule Britannia. We rule and the songs rule!
    They must die oh so easily bearing in mind that 52 of your descendents were killed by them :rolleyes: Such ignorance towards other races and cultures astounds and disappoints me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    They must die oh so easily bearing in mind that 52 of your descendents were killed by them :rolleyes: Such ignorance towards other races and cultures astounds and disappoints me.
    It's been mentioned before but by someone Irish

ReputationRep:
    Pol? What did he have to say?

Off to work now, be back about midnight.

Carl

EDIT: Oh, about his family being killed by the Brits? Bad feelings die hard I guess. Will elaborate on my solution to the Ireland problem later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Off to work now, be back about midnight.
    Strange shift

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.