Want more information about this university?

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Watch
hannahoreilly56
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,
Im hopefully going to Birmingham next year and I was wondering about accommodation. I'm thinking self-catered and ensuite would be nice, which locations are the best?? And which rooms are the most spacious?? Thanks!
kittycannon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hannahoreilly56)
Hi guys,
Im hopefully going to Birmingham next year and I was wondering about accommodation. I'm thinking self-catered and ensuite would be nice, which locations are the best?? And which rooms are the most spacious?? Thanks!
There are some new blocks in Tennis Court which are ensuite, and they're supposed to be really nice and modern. They're also the shortest walk to campus you can get while living on the vale. From my experience, bedrooms in Tennis Court have a decent amount of floor space, considering there is quite a lot of furniture which takes up a lot of room (large desk, cabinets, shelf, wardrobe etc). I currently live in Tennis Court and if I walk at a moderate pace I can get to my lectures/seminars in 10-12 minutes.

Mason is a few minutes further away from campus than Tennis Court. Personally I'm not really a fan of Mason as there is hardly any floor space - the bedrooms are quite narrow. The doors to the ensuite shower rooms are also the doors to your wardrobe (they slide). It's a bit strange, because you can't shut the bathroom door without opening your wardrobe. The kitchens are fairly big but organised in a way that they're a bit narrow. Nonetheless, most people I know are happy with their flats in Mason.

Jarratt Hall (in Selly Oak - 5 minute or less walk from campus) is ensuite and self-catered I believe. I've visited someone's flat in Jarratt once, and it's not too bad. It was only a 3 person flat (there are larger flats) and the kitchen was still a decent size. The bedroom was a bit small but considering how close Jarratt Hall is to campus and aldi I don't think I would personally care.

I've never been to a flat in Liberty Court but I know it's self-catered and ensuite, and that it's just round the corner from an aldi and some nice parks. It's quite a trek from campus but there are free shuttle buses that run from the accommodation to uni, and apparently it's only a 10 minute bike ride.

In Oakley Court (Prichatt's Park Village) you can get duplex rooms where you share a bathroom with only one other person. I've only seen Oakley Court on my Accommodation Open Day but it did seem really nice. The bedrooms are a decent size and the flats look well furbished. The kitchen looked quite homely from what I remember, with a decent sized dining table and chairs (rather than bar stools).

You can get duplex rooms in Prichatt's House Global Community too. The kitchens aren't so nice in Prichatt's because 18 people share one, so each bedroom has a mini fridge and shelves for people to store their food. There are freezers in the kitchen. The kitchen has metal surfaces, like an industrial kitchen rather than the type of kitchen you would have at home. The bedrooms are quite large though, with LOTS of floor space. And the duplex bathroom is really spacious. It's quite cheap too, despite the price having gone up a bit for 2017/18.

Victoria Hall (Selly Oak) is also ensuite and self-catered. It's private rather than university-owned accommodation. The security is really good and it's close to campus and aldi in Selly Oak. The kitchens are quite nice. And the rooms are very, very spacious, with double beds.

On the website it say's there's also Selly Oak Court which is ensuite and self-catered, but I don't know anyone who lives there so I can't speak for it. It does seem quite fancy.

As for which location is best it's really up to you and your preferences. A lot of people seem to think that living on the Vale is their only option, otherwise they'll have no social life and have a really boring first year but that's really not the case as most halls are quite lively seeing as they're full of young students, and if not, you'll make friends on your course. Sure, the Vale is the most popular place to live because it's in lovely Edgbaston and you can basically live in a student bubble because it's just on the edge of campus. But it's also a solid 30 minute walk from aldi in Selly Oak to Tennis Court (even longer to further parts of the Vale like Maple Bank), which is a bit of a pain unless you plan on only ever buying food from Costcutter on the Vale or one of the Spars on campus, which are great for lunches and snacks but not great if you want to eat properly, not to mention expensive. The halls in Selly Oak and Prichatt's Park Village are much closer to campus, Selly Oak (where you'll likely do your food shopping) and to the train station. But then again the Vale is closer to the city which is handy in case you decide to save money on a taxi/uber and walk back (hopefully not alone) after a night out.
Campus Living Villages
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hannahoreilly56)
Hi guys,
Hey Hannah,

Good choice picking Birmingham! Good luck in your exams :crossedf:

There are loads of accommodation options in Birmingham to choose from – you can stay near campus or in the Selly Oak area if you want to be closer to the University. If staying in the city centre is what you’re looking for, we offer self-catered accommodation at Belgrave View student village that’s just a short trip away from the main campus and a 15 minute walk away from the centre. All of our rooms are en-suite with a range of choices to suit your price range, from rooms with single beds to spacious rooms that have a double bed and a sofa.

If you fancy being close to the Bullring shopping centre, the city’s lively nightlife scene or the main train stations (great for taking all that laundry home!) you can check out the Village on our My Student Village website.

If you have any other questions about accommodation give us a shout!
Bluebell1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Campus Living Villages)
Hey Hannah,

Good choice picking Birmingham! Good luck in your exams :crossedf:

There are loads of accommodation options in Birmingham to choose from – you can stay near campus or in the Selly Oak area if you want to be closer to the University. If staying in the city centre is what you’re looking for, we offer self-catered accommodation at Belgrave View student village that’s just a short trip away from the main campus and a 15 minute walk away from the centre. All of our rooms are en-suite with a range of choices to suit your price range, from rooms with single beds to spacious rooms that have a double bed and a sofa.

If you fancy being close to the Bullring shopping centre, the city’s lively nightlife scene or the main train stations (great for taking all that laundry home!) you can check out the Village on our My Student Village website.

If you have any other questions about accommodation give us a shout!
I desperately need help in choosing accommodation. I want self-catered and want to have a social life. Please could you list the pros and cons for each one?
Thanks in advance
AlexinaC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there, I have Birmingham as my firm choice and will hopefully go there next year. I need help choosing my accommodation; I want ensuite self-catered and so far I have 3 choices but need at least 4.
1.The Vale - Mason
2.Selly Oak - Jaratt Hall
3.Selly Oak - Bourne Brook
4. ?
Are these ok choices and what is a good 4th choice considering the other options are partner accomadation or not self-catered/ensuite?
Also is it true not many 1st years stay in Selly oak and it's mostly second and thirds?
Brunochris13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I have also chosen Birmingham as my firm choice and I don't know which hall to stay in for my 1st year. Can you please tell which hall you got into, tell me a it's good or not and (if possible) send me some pictures? I'm mostly interested in Mason and Bourne Brook, but I am still not sure which one to choose.
Bluebell1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Brunochris13)
Hey, I have also chosen Birmingham as my firm choice and I don't know which hall to stay in for my 1st year. Can you please tell which hall you got into, tell me a it's good or not and (if possible) send me some pictures? I'm mostly interested in Mason and Bourne Brook, but I am still not sure which one to choose.
I am staying in tennis courts shared currently. You get what you get for the price- £100 per week, one of the cheapest accommodation. It's shared, we don't get a cleaner but you can request one as a flat. I don't really have any problems sharing honestly as everyone has their own different routine . I'll just say in tennis courts, it can get a bit wild at times and whilst I agree first years should do a bit of partying , life isn't all about that and I think joining societies is a good way to meet like minded people and that refers to wherever you stay really. Not sure about Bourne brook haven't even heard of it lol is it even on campus? If it isn't forget it!
Mason is nice, next to tennis courts but I have heard it's very expensive. But if you can afford it then go for it..
Brunochris13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you. That was really helpuful.
(Original post by Bluebell1234)
I am staying in tennis courts shared currently. You get what you get for the price- £100 per week, one of the cheapest accommodation. It's shared, we don't get a cleaner but you can request one as a flat. I don't really have any problems sharing honestly as everyone has their own different routine . I'll just say in tennis courts, it can get a bit wild at times and whilst I agree first years should do a bit of partying , life isn't all about that and I think joining societies is a good way to meet like minded people and that refers to wherever you stay really. Not sure about Bourne brook haven't even heard of it lol is it even on campus? If it isn't forget it!
Mason is nice, next to tennis courts but I have heard it's very expensive. But if you can afford it then go for it..
Bluebell1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Brunochris13)
Thank you. That was really helpful.
No problem. I forgot to also mention about how far away it is from the centre of campus. It's like a 15 min walk with tennis courts being the closest one from the centre compared to Mason and the others on the Vale.
Can be a bit of a walk but not too bad. Places like jaratt hall and victoria halls, metalbox are much closer to centre of campus and I think they are less than the price of mason.

Chamberlain is the furthest from campus on the vale - can take 30 mins walk I believe
Nail1230
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't spend too many hours pondering over the choices, allocation of accommodation is completely random. I have yet to meet anyone who was offered their first choice and I was an unconditional student!
Bluebell1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nail1230)
Don't spend too many hours pondering over the choices, allocation of accommodation is completely random. I have yet to meet anyone who was offered their first choice and I was an unconditional student!
I got my first choice and was an unconditional student
Jimmy J
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hii have also been given an Unconditional offer- GREAT news.Please can someone say which is best between Chamberlain and Tennis Court for ensuite accomdn?- ideally want a mixed flat set up if possible?Many thanks
Bluebell1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jimmy J)
Hii have also been given an Unconditional offer- GREAT news.Please can someone say which is best between Chamberlain and Tennis Court for ensuite accomdn?- ideally want a mixed flat set up if possible?Many thanks
I have heard Chamberlain is really nice- but it's the furthest one on the vale from campus. Tennis courts on the vale is the closest one on campus. Tennis courts is quite sociable and mixed and shared. Not sure about chamberlain sorry but it does look nice
Jimmy J
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bluebell1234)
I have heard Chamberlain is really nice- but it's the furthest one on the vale from campus. Tennis courts on the vale is the closest one on campus. Tennis courts is quite sociable and mixed and shared. Not sure about chamberlain sorry but it does look nice
Thats great- thanks for the info.

Have a good Christmas
helena1999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,I'm going to UoB this September and worrying about accommodation as I've heard not many people get their top choices. I really want self-catering, being on a meal plan would be so pointless to me because of how much I eat/snack. Is it possible they would put me on a meal plan if all my choices are based on self-catering and I assume I would be able to complain if I am right?Also do many students order home delivery for their food shopping because the walk will be soooo long and heavy
samsamsamsam111
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

I have an unconditional from Birmingham so will be going there next year. I’m so buzzed for uni life and basically want best nightlife possible in first year, also looking for a mixed flat. Any advice? Anything I should be aware of? Also, what criteria can u put in the hope of getting the flat you what (I.e. the type of people you get on well with etc.)
Any advice or reviews of accommodation will be much appreciated,

Cheers
Nail1230
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi
The allocation of accommodation does appear to be pretty random even if you have taken the time to answer the questions etc
However, I do know someone who was very unhappy with what they were given and was reallocated!
As for home delivery, I don’t know as I’m in catered!
Hope that helps and good luck
Dan1elle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey I’m going UoB this September also! I’m really interested in Bournbrook, Selly Oak Court, Metalworks and Mason. Only problem is I can literally find zero pictures of what the bournebrook accomodation flats look like and also which one is best... can anyone help?
misss1992
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dan1elle)
Hey I’m going UoB this September also! I’m really interested in Bournbrook, Selly Oak Court, Metalworks and Mason. Only problem is I can literally find zero pictures of what the bournebrook accomodation flats look like and also which one is best... can anyone help?
The UoB Facebook page has recently posted photos of it
Beccajane2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know what Oakley court or tennis courts is like?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (26)
14.53%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (50)
27.93%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (73)
40.78%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.97%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.79%

Watched Threads