The Student Room Group

GCSE exam stress: tips?

Hi all,
Obviously from the title, I'm in year 11 and due to take my GCSEs starting May 16th. Recently I've found that a combination of factors - sleep loss, procrastination, having too much to do - has led to chronic stress.
I am taking 11 subjects and a further maths qualification and it's terrifying to think that for two years all I've been doing will go down as a letter after a few combined days' worth of total exam time. I am generally kind of a stressy person but this is getting out of hand. I also have a piano grade 8 exam in April, not to mention am expected to get my predicted grades of 11 A*... I started revising (sort of) (like maybe not) (okay I don't know if it counts but it's more like erratic bursts of work when I get super panicked) but I'm finding that I can barely cope with staying awake enough to revise. Does anyone have any tips? I don't have enough time to take days off school and I really do need sleep, but the stress makes it impossible to sleep well at all. Doc is last resort because I don't think taking meds is a healthy solution to the root issue. I'm dealing with it badly on my own, I resorted to playing hours of MOBAs which is downright the stupidest habit I could have reverted to since it wastes even more time...
Would really appreciate any help at all or even someone else who can relate!
Original post by lostpenny
Hi all,
Obviously from the title, I'm in year 11 and due to take my GCSEs starting May 16th. Recently I've found that a combination of factors - sleep loss, procrastination, having too much to do - has led to chronic stress.
I am taking 11 subjects and a further maths qualification and it's terrifying to think that for two years all I've been doing will go down as a letter after a few combined days' worth of total exam time. I am generally kind of a stressy person but this is getting out of hand. I also have a piano grade 8 exam in April, not to mention am expected to get my predicted grades of 11 A*... I started revising (sort of) (like maybe not) (okay I don't know if it counts but it's more like erratic bursts of work when I get super panicked) but I'm finding that I can barely cope with staying awake enough to revise. Does anyone have any tips? I don't have enough time to take days off school and I really do need sleep, but the stress makes it impossible to sleep well at all. Doc is last resort because I don't think taking meds is a healthy solution to the root issue. I'm dealing with it badly on my own, I resorted to playing hours of MOBAs which is downright the stupidest habit I could have reverted to since it wastes even more time...

Hi lostpenny.

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with stress at the moment. The most important thing to know is that there is still time left to go over things and revise - so don't stress too much, 7 weeks is still enough time to revise for exams! Also, yes, sleep is very important (ironically I'm posting this at the worst time!). You need to make sure you get enough sleep so you can wake up feeling refreshed and energetic, if you don't get enough sleep then it will make you tired when it comes to revising. Especially after coming home after school, you just want to sleep! So make sure you get enough sleep! For me, I just drink some coffee when I come home if I'm tired, may not work for you but it works for me personally.

You need to have some discipline around exam season, if you want to get work done, then you can't be playing MOBAs! Resist! I like MOBAs too like League of Legends (great game btw, just loads of salty players :tongue:). You can maybe do your revision in short bursts to make it easier by using the Pomodoro Technique, having short breaks in between so that you can't get tempted to go on MOBAs... and if it gets that bad then I would recommend downloading Cold Turkey. If that doesn't work, ask yourself, does the work require electronic devices? If not, don't go on it! Just turn off all electronic devices and get the work done!

If the meds aren't working, then you might want to see the doc because this could only get worse. If you get enough healthy sleep (7 hours the very least) and food in your belly then you should be fine (sometimes just having a walk helps!), but if the stress continues then go and see the doc. I hope this works out for you! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CoffeeGeek
Hi lostpenny.

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with stress at the moment. The most important thing to know is that there is still time left to go over things and revise - so don't stress too much, 7 weeks is still enough time to revise for exams! Also, yes, sleep is very important (ironically I'm posting this at the worst time!). You need to make sure you get enough sleep so you can wake up feeling refreshed and energetic, if you don't get enough sleep then it will make you tired when it comes to revising. Especially after coming home after school, you just want to sleep! So make sure you get enough sleep! For me, I just drink some coffee when I come home if I'm tired, may not work for you but it works for me personally.

You need to have some discipline around exam season, if you want to get work done, then you can't be playing MOBAs! Resist! I like MOBAs too like League of Legends (great game btw, just loads of salty players :tongue:). You can maybe do your revision in short bursts to make it easier by using the Pomodoro Technique, having short breaks in between so that you can't get tempted to go on MOBAs... and if it gets that bad then I would recommend downloading Cold Turkey. If that doesn't work, ask yourself, does the work require electronic devices? If not, don't go on it! Just turn off all electronic devices and get the work done!

If the meds aren't working, then you might want to see the doc because this could only get worse. If you get enough healthy sleep (7 hours the very least) and food in your belly then you should be fine (sometimes just having a walk helps!), but if the stress continues then go and see the doc. I hope this works out for you! :smile:

Thank you for the tips, there's loads of good stuff you suggested - though most poignantly, every time now I stare forlornly at my iPad 'Resist!' appears somewhere in the back of my head for a brief second :biggrin:
I'm still stressing low-key but now my art exam and computing coursework deadlines are over, some of it has definitely been alleviated. Plus daily running sessions are really useful!
Reply 3
Original post by lostpenny
Hi all,

If you haven't already, I would make a revision timetable. I was seriously stressed when I had to think about the 18 poems, 2 plays, 3 sciences, maths etc. that I had to revise for as well as coursework. Having a timetable made me feel relieved, knowing that i would just have to follow the timetable every day and i would get it all done in time.

To make a good timetable, I would make a list of the topics in science, maths etc. and a list of all the themes and characters you have to know for the exam. Colour code them red, yellow, and green according to how much revision you have done for them and how urgent they are. Then make a list of things you want to get completed every day, making sure to leave days were you can relax.

Depending on what type of person you are, you may find it helpful to put specific timings for breaks and revision on your timetable. However, if you get stressed easily when you dont follow things, simply writing it like its a to-do-list would help.

A revision timetable mistake that people make is not being specific about what your studying. Don't just say 'maths'. you need to be specific like 'quadratic sequences'.

-
You should also steer away from things that are considered bad habits. if that game is something you play when your procrastinating and nervous, when you play it, your mind is going to associate it with anxiety. Instead try to do something that might be beneficial or new to you, kind of like the running you already do.

Quick Reply

Latest