ab690
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I received an offer from Oxford for an MSc in Economics for Development and from LSE for MSc Local Economic Development. Wondering if anyone can provide insight as to the difference between these two programs and pros and cons of each.

I am looking to go into international development and I'm wondering if the degree from Oxford might be too academic and not practical enough? On the other hand, Oxford's reputation may be worth the slightly less practical approach?

The MSc Local Economic Development seems it might not be as "Economics" focused since it's in the department of Geography and Environment rather than the Economics department. I'm looking for a program that develops my Economics skills in addition to expanding my knowledge of Development.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ab690)
You need to sit down and go through each course with a fine tooth comb and work out how they compare. Then work out which one interests you more. It sounds like you have a career plan so have a look at jobs you're interested in and see what they require. Generally you'll find that employers are more worried about what you studied, your grades and work experience. The other thing to look at is where grads from both programs end up.
Jedbrien
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
LSE for sure. Oxbridge generally has excellent undergraduate. However, when it comes to postgraduate economics, LSE is by far the best choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.78%
Excited but a bit nervous (142)
44.94%
Not bothered either way (38)
12.03%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.25%

Watched Threads