The Student Room Group

ELAT Confusion

I am baffled by the ELAT. The question is fine, and I am sure I could come up with a decent response, but the sample answer which scored highest on the website ( with a score of 54) seems incredibly basic in terms of literary imagination and more basic than the first answer which scored less, at least to me. I was always told to include alternative interpretations, really go into depth about one word but the ELAT answer does not seem to do this. It also seems so dull, good english answers are usually passionate! I am not sure if the ELAT wants you to make simpler points but in a controlled fashion, Please look at answer two in the sample answer. I wish there were more high scoring sample answers, I know there are many ways to answer the ELAT, but having some more examples would certainly demystify it. ( English markschemes are so subjective they're usually not that helpful to use when writing essays)

Anyone who has got fifty plus in their ELAT, please PLEASE if you find time let me know how you wrote. Structure in particular, one extract per paragraph? I LOVE practical criticism and have done well in mock interviews with this. But the kind of way I think seems to be very different to what the high scoring student in the sample ELAT answer has done.
In addition to close analysis of language, the ELAT wants you to focus on constructing an argument between your chosen texts. That is an introduction that indicates a clear purpose and direction to your response, and three/four points which demonstrate a progression in your thought process, and arrive at a definitve conclusion. Maybe this is what the second answer that you deemed better lacked. I can see how a failure to focus on this could give way to a more in depth analysis. You definetly don't need to make simple points, just ones that are consistent with you chain of reasoning.

I get that is may feel mystified and elusive compared to other english tests, but really all they want to assess is your thought process. Different candidates have wildly varying degrees of preparation, so they need at test that examines this, and not the number of literary devices the candiates knows and other more concrete things, whcih is probably why all mark schemes are so subjective
Reply 2
Original post by maroumarou
In addition to close analysis of language, the ELAT wants you to focus on constructing an argument between your chosen texts. That is an introduction that indicates a clear purpose and direction to your response, and three/four points which demonstrate a progression in your thought process, and arrive at a definitve conclusion. Maybe this is what the second answer that you deemed better lacked. I can see how a failure to focus on this could give way to a more in depth analysis. You definetly don't need to make simple points, just ones that are consistent with you chain of reasoning.

I get that is may feel mystified and elusive compared to other english tests, but really all they want to assess is your thought process. Different candidates have wildly varying degrees of preparation, so they need at test that examines this, and not the number of literary devices the candiates knows and other more concrete things, whcih is probably why all mark schemes are so subjective

These are very good points. Thank you for mentioning them.If this is the case, I think it is slightly misleading for them to say they're assessing 'literary complexity',( the examiner says this at the end of the lower scoring answer as a way to improve their mark). But for me, the higher scoring answer undeniably has less awareness of literary complexity, subtext, nuance etc. It would be helpful if they provided more example essays, and would probably help level the playing field even more, in my opinion!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
@BrasenoseLitGeek

If you have anything to add it would be very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest