The Student Room Group

Barclays Student account - thanks, No More!

I was with Barclays for several years, went to Uni and got £250 overdraft. Because haven't had good credit history I've got increase toward £500 later that year. Then moving from college to private halls and I need extra overdraft - they refused.
It was very disappointing, but I managed to get support from University at that moment, and everyone was surprised why my overdraft was so low.

Now I am second-year student wth £750 overdraft. Barclays recently started to offer up to £3000 overdraft, but for whom? Do they really provide it to anyone or just use it to look competitive among other banks? Have no idea. I asked them to increase my overdraft towards £2000 because I need to move to a new property and pay for my accommodation in advance, but they were a nightmare. They refused because I have money on my account and they assumed that I don't need an overdraft.
I've appealed and explained that I actually need it and they start to request further evidence. I provided it to them, but they wanted more and more up to the point that they were happy to force me in the administrative costs of £250 that are the non-refundable part when I need to sign a tenancy-agreement. The agreement is also bounding me for a significant amount of money which only could be covered with this overdraft. Of course, I will not sign any contracts if I cannot afford yet or would be in uncertainty with my finance during the summer.
Luckily this time I had good credit rating and was able to switch account after all. I don't know how it will be with a new bank, but hope it will be better!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sestr
I was with Barclays for several years, went to Uni and got £250 overdraft. Because haven't had good credit history I've got increase toward £500 later that year. Then moving from college to private halls and I need extra overdraft - they refused.
It was very disappointing, but I managed to get support from University at that moment, and everyone was surprised why my overdraft was so low.

Now I am second-year student wth £750 overdraft. Barclays recently started to offer up to £3000 overdraft, but for whom? Do they really provide it to anyone or just use it to look competitive among other banks? Have no idea. I asked them to increase my overdraft towards £2000 because I need to move to a new property and pay for my accommodation in advance, but they were a nightmare. They refused because I have money on my account and they assumed that I don't need an overdraft.
I've appealed and explained that I actually need it and they start to request further evidence. I provided it to them, but they wanted more and more up to the point that they were happy to force me in the administrative costs of £250 that are the non-refundable part when I need to sign a tenancy-agreement. The agreement is also bounding me for a significant amount of money which only could be covered with this overdraft. Of course, I will not sign any contracts if I cannot afford yet or would be in uncertainty with my finance during the summer.
Luckily this time I had good credit rating and was able to switch account after all. I don't know how it will be with a new bank, but hope it will be better!

Banks reserve the right to not offer the full amount of overdraft if they think you are a risk. An overdraft should be seen as a just in case, not for essential costs.
Reply 2
You know if you got savings, use that to pay for the deposit and not the overdraft. I understand you are trying to save for things but surely the deposit is one thing that is well worth using your savings for? I mean you would get it back once you move out of the property as long as you left the room in good condition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending