The Student Room Group

Self plagerism without knowing what it is

Hey I need help and information to stop me panicking. I wasn't aware of what self plagerism was or is until after I had done my assignment. I think I have self plagerised by 8%. Is this a problem and what will happen
Literally more confused than ever and still dnt know what it is. I am aware I copied one sentence word for word (wasn't aware during the time) as I had viewed it on turnitin. I am in 2nd year and just need to know what should I do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Grw6

How do you know you have self plagiarised and where has that % come from? Self plagiarism is just reusing your own work without stating that it's been used before so if it's just a sentence just change it and you should be fine. 8% is really low anyway so that's not worrying.
Original post by alleycat393
How do you know you have self plagiarised and where his thanks for ur helpxx
I have already submitted it. I wasn't aware it was a thing until after the due date. It is submitted with that 8% on turnitin and I can't change it. So is that a problem? The % came from turnitin
Original post by Grw6

% is really low so you don't have anything to worry about. You can try talking to your advisor just to make them aware to put your mind at rest :smile:
You don't have anything to worry about. You've done nothing wrong.

You can't plagiarise yourself. If it's your work it's your work.

A uni may have a problem if you are using the same essay twice (although imo that is their fault for having assignments the same) but it is not plagiarism.

They can't have an issue with you using the same sentences more than once. You will have a certain writing style so it's inevitable that your sentence structure and use of words will match your previous work. On the odd occasion you may have used the exact sentence before. There's nothing wrong with that.

They may use a computer to detect it but it will always be a person making the decision on disciplinery matters. Anyone looking at this will see you have not been dishonest and have done nothing wrong.
Thanks for your help in feel so much bethere about the whole situation nowx
My advice may not be useful but, I have a friend who studies Economics and they were told that they will almost always get a plagiarism of 8% due to reliance on arguments. Is it true? I don't know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending