cawcarrot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Got into Columbia Law school (LLM) and Oxford (non-law MsC) - which one is better?

I don't know what I want to do really.

Help me!
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cawcarrot)
Got into Columbia Law school (LLM) and Oxford (non-law MsC) - which one is better?

Help me!
What is the actual Oxford degree if it's non-law?
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well figure it out, and choose accordingly. There's a fairly big difference between these universities in both the courses and the location (what's the Oxford postgrad on?)
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Help me!
Do the subject in which your actually interested in.
cawcarrot
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohnGreek)
Well figure it out, and choose accordingly. There's a fairly big difference between these universities in both the courses and the location (what's the Oxford postgrad on?)
It's just an MsC - but nothing law related. Something interest related. But I'm torn between the 2 as I don't know what I want to do. Presumably work in the UK?

Which one has a better reputation? Would Columbia be the "UCL" of USA?

I'm torn
PostGrad221
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's just an MsC - but nothing law related. Something interest related. But I'm torn between the 2 as I don't know what I want to do. Presumably work in the UK?

Which one has a better reputation? Would Columbia be the "UCL" of USA?

I'm torn
Why don't you just tell us what the MSc is in??

Oh and it would help if you told us what you want to do afterwards.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of global reputation, Oxford is typically better, although it will depend upon the subject. I'd pick the subject that you're most interested in though.
cawcarrot
Rep:
?
Anyone else can offer opinions?
Manticore
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't be silly mate; if you truly enjoy Law and if you're open to work in the US, go to Columbia Law School. In the US, if you graduate from a top 20 law school you're set for life.

Beware of the debt though, the tuition must be insane, and you'll need to work your ass off.
bolu26
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey i am also deciding between these 2 and im unsure which is the right path. I have an offer from Columbia for global thought and am offer from oxford on economics for development any ideas on any of these programmes
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stop avoiding the question about what you would be studying at Oxford. It is materially relevant to the initial debate over which to choose. If you're looking for a "which looks better on my CV for applying to Goldman Sachs" then it literally doesn't matter and this thread is a pointless exercise in you looking for gratification that you have offers from two "top" universities.

If you want to be a lawyer do the LLM. If you don't intend on practicing or teaching law, don't. Whether to do the MSc is another question entirely which cannot be answered because of your obstinate refusal for some unknown reason to actually provide the necessary information.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bolu26)
Hey i am also deciding between these 2 and im unsure which is the right path. I have an offer from Columbia for global thought and am offer from oxford on economics for development any ideas on any of these programmes
You should really make your own thread, but as OP is being willfully obstructive to their own detriment:

In your case, these are fairly different programmes. The former would be a good basis if you intend to enter e.g., civil service training including diplomacy, politics or public administration, economic and policy analysis roles focusing on domestic and international relations side of things (i.e., not specifically developing economics or policy/relations with e.g. BRIC, although it isnt a bad choice if the focus is primarily on BRIC and developed economies and businesses, as opposed to a more mixed portfolio with BRIC and developing areas)

The latter is more specialized and is particularly relevant if you're interest in working for NGOs, international finance/investment firms specializing in developing economics or BRIC businesses, academia, or economic and policy analysis roles focusing on developing economics

So the answer is, the one that suits your purposes better. This is also strictly speaking true for OP.
PegasusTenma
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree, you should tell is the subject of the oxford course, or else we can't really help
bolu26
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You should really make your own thread, but as OP is being willfully obstructive to their own detriment:

In your case, these are fairly different programmes. The former would be a good basis if you intend to enter e.g., civil service training including diplomacy, politics or public administration, economic and policy analysis roles focusing on domestic and international relations side of things (i.e., not specifically developing economics or policy/relations with e.g. BRIC, although it isnt a bad choice if the focus is primarily on BRIC and developed economies and businesses, as opposed to a more mixed portfolio with BRIC and developing areas)

The latter is more specialized and is particularly relevant if you're interest in working for NGOs, international finance/investment firms specializing in developing economics or BRIC businesses, academia, or economic and policy analysis roles focusing on developing economics

So the answer is, the one that suits your purposes better. This is also strictly speaking true for OP.
Thank you I'll get my own thread, I am more interested in developing economics, so I am guessing Oxford is the better shout. Thank you very much for your reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?