The Student Room Group

Car accident (not my fault).. what to do..

I really need some advice on what to do. I had an accident last Saturday. While I was driving, someone hit my car from the back. I stopped at the scene. The other guy sped off. I moved off and went after him as I needed his car registration number to claim the damages on the rear of my car. I have cameras on my dashboard so I went after him so that he can be captured in the cameras. I am a taxi driver. I contacted my insurance company they were not very helpful as they were saying as I don't have the car registration number, the claim will be on my fault. I requested for them to pick up the SD card from my cameras as I could not do this myself as they locked the cameras on my dashboard. A day later, they ring me and tell me the camera quality is very low on the camera and because the car was speeding it was not able to capture the registration number. I am in a very stressful situation as I do not know what to do...
If the driver didn't stop and you don't have the car registration number then there's no-one the insurance company can make a claim against. Did you report the matter to the police within 24 hours - this is a legal requirement. Did you write down a description of the car at all - make and model, colour, condition, number of occupants etc?
Original post by zaraiqbal18
I really need some advice on what to do. I had an accident last Saturday. While I was driving, someone hit my car from the back. I stopped at the scene. The other guy sped off. I moved off and went after him as I needed his car registration number to claim the damages on the rear of my car. I have cameras on my dashboard so I went after him so that he can be captured in the cameras. I am a taxi driver. I contacted my insurance company they were not very helpful as they were saying as I don't have the car registration number, the claim will be on my fault. I requested for them to pick up the SD card from my cameras as I could not do this myself as they locked the cameras on my dashboard. A day later, they ring me and tell me the camera quality is very low on the camera and because the car was speeding it was not able to capture the registration number. I am in a very stressful situation as I do not know what to do...

Doubt they'd do anything but you could take the footage to the police, I presume the dash cam caught the car in question, my question to you is why don't you have a camera facing out the rear of the vehicle as well?
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Doubt they'd do anything but you could take the footage to the police, I presume the dash cam caught the car in question, my question to you is why don't you have a camera facing out the rear of the vehicle as well?

I would have had the cameras facing out the rear aswell if it was my choice. It was my insurance company who put these cameras in the case of an accident which is stupid as they wasn't able to know what the registration number is..
Original post by Reality Check
If the driver didn't stop and you don't have the car registration number then there's no-one the insurance company can make a claim against. Did you report the matter to the police within 24 hours - this is a legal requirement. Did you write down a description of the car at all - make and model, colour, condition, number of occupants etc?

I had expected that the cameras would have been able to capture the registration number. Yes I reported the matter to the police within 24 hours. I have got a description of everything you have mentioned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending